Privacy at work

Do employers have the right to access your private emails at work? I.e monitoring your key strokes, check outgoing messages, etc via the network if you send it from a non work related account? Something curious has happened.

well, they do. it depends. do u work for a bank? ?

architecture firm. They are weary of theft of information, but monitoring private email and dropping hints of contents of them in meetings?

Hi Knut,

I'm not that sure about le law here, but I'll ask.
One thing is sure, the concept of privacy in the companies is definitely not the same than in Western Countries !!!

Most large US companies have been doing this for many years, trying to stop employees using work time for personal business.

Stopping is fine, but monitoring you I think is a bit ridicolous. Your boss might be a complete waste of space, and occasionally this is needed to be sharred via an email. Should they also be allowed to monitor any sms you send out in that case? Some sites I can't access at work like Facebook for example, and that's fine. I hear soem companies in the US also demand you befriend your boss on facebook if you want to work for them..or so the rumour has it.

If you get anywhere Olivier, I'd really appreciate to hear what you find.

All work no play does not make for a happy bunny.

NO such law here, but since its the company equipment and time, they would do anything to make sure their data is secure...if not the company any I.T guy at office can log keystroke's.

A blackberry for private use, thats a lot cheap here, if there's a chance of mistake.. there will be a mistake.

it depends on ur work contract, and if nothing like that in ur contract the company dont have the right to do so.