Tips about getting a car in Nairobi

Hi

I'm moving to Nairobi in August 2015. I'm wondering if you could give me tips about getting/ owning a car there.
1. Is it necessary to get a 4x drive?
2. I'd like something that easy on gas and not so difficult to maintain. What car would you recommend?
3. What kind of paper do I have to make sure to have from the seller or dealer whom I buy the car from?
4. Is it necessary to have a driver? What would be an appropriate salary to give if I'd like to hire one? What benefits to provide?
5. Between locally manufactured cars and imported cars, which is better to get?
6. Could you please share ideas about car owner's safety (both personal and belongings) in Nairobi?

Thank you.

Hello beachgoer and welcome to Expat.com

Since you participated on a thread inactive since 2013, kindly note that I created a new thread as from your post on the Nairobi forum to help you get more visibility and interaction on the forum

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you.

Hi,

To take your points in turn:
1. A 4x4 isn't really necessary around town, although a low slug 2 wheel drive will ground on the many large speed humps. 
2. You are probably safest to stick to Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi - reliable and relatively cheap to service and run.  Bear in mind that insurance is worked out as a percentage of the vehicles assessed value (with a no claims discount which is applied after the first year).  This can add considerably to the running cost of a pricier car.
3. Kenyan vehicles have a log book - a government issued registration document.  I understand that you have to apply for a PIN from Kenya Revenue Authority before you can purchase a vehicle.  Other documents, such as insurance and any inspection certificates are displayed in the windscreen.
4. I wouldn't say that it is necessary to have a driver.  However Nairobi traffic conditions are often quite bad and drivers have little respect for other road users.  You have to be quite assertive, but drive defensively.  I don't know what salary you would give a driver, but of course they will be doing a lot of waiting around while not driving.  For driving at night, it would be useful to be driven by someone who knows the roads well.  But if this is occasional, then it would be cheaper to use a taxi.
5. I prefer local vehicles, they have been built for the conditions and tend to have fewer problems BUT are more expensive than an import.
6. Safety:  always be conscious of who is around you.  Keep doors locked and windows up, especially in slow moving town centre traffic.  Don't keep valuables on show, whether you are in the car or not.  Avoid driving at night, especially out of town - its when most fatal accidents occur.  Not all vehicles are lit and broken down vehicles can be left in the middle of the road.  There tend to be more drunk driver at night.  Also, be especially vigilant at night of who is following you and if you are worried, head for a busy place, or police station.  Our car was broken into in an upmarket car park, so never assume.

Moderated by Gavind 8 years ago
Reason : please don no promote your services on the forum. I would suggest that you drop an ad in our directory section : Car rental in Nairobi