In waaaayy over my head (and new here, hi)

Hi, I'm 24, an Aussie girl in Melbourne who's just had her mid-twenties 'all I have is a music degree and I've just broken up with my long-term boyfriend' crisis, and decided I needed a change. On a whim applied for a teaching job in Dubai in one of the more prestigious (if you believe the website) international schools, teaching music.

And could I come in two weeks, please.

I just wanted some help to suss out whether this sounds like a decent deal or not. I know they hire lots of expats at their school, and the two people I've dealt with have been amazingly friendly and helpful. We had one skype conversation and one actual phone conversation, as well as many emails.

Because I'm still young and this is my first international job, and I only have four years of teaching music experience, I think they're offering me a lower rate of pay. The offer basically is;

A three year contract, flights paid over and back plus free flights home every July/August for a month paid trip home

Accomodation, paid by the school, valued at 90,000 AED per year, basically furnished, including all utilities

750 AED per month travelling costs

1500 one-time moving allowance (I suppose to buy kettles and forks and things?) payable upon receipts

1000 one-time settling in money

8000 AED per month salary

I mean, to me this SEEMS like a lot of money, but if I'm going to be paying $50 Aussie dollars for sandwhich, then suddenly it's not.

So any advice, suggestions, things I should be clued in on, would be helpful. Pretend I know NOTHING about the country or how it works...because it's true.

P.S Hi everyone. Might see you there in 2 weeks!

Sounds like a reasonable deal to me, considering your level of experience and single status. 90K will get you a decent apartment in Dubai. A 12" roast chicken sub from Subway will rush you around 4.5 aussie bucks.

Hi hun,

Ok first of all AED 8000 isnt bad but it isnt amazing either... if u look through the forum, there are several threads on the cost of living..

As a 24 yr old girl myself, i spend around AED 2000/month for basic grocery/ph card/metro travel/going out for food, drinks and shisha. My rent has already been paid for like yours will be as well.. and it is possible to live on this salary.. but dont expect to save very much though..

If u have any other specific questions, drop me a pm and i will be happy to help.. :)

PS: the fact that they are paying for the accommodation will really help..coz the rent is rather high especially if u want to live in certain areas…

wassup aussi

its seems a very good deal to me specially u r same in ma age well lets count:
1- they pay for ur accomodation 90 k then its will get u a very discent appertment

2-750 travlling coast its little bit low bt its fair coz if u ridding taxi all da time will b more than this

3- the 1500 + 1000 one time money for moving allownce and settling its good ^^

4- and finally ur 8000 AED well girl u gotta b kiddin common running by foot lol coz after 2 years ur situation will b much different.

ps: am same as ur age and i take nearly 6000 and am happy with it coz am fresh veterinarian graduater and i know after 2 years i will ask for 20.000 ;)

so dont ever histate.come and try if u didnt like it then back home as i read in ur profile u looking for change then its ur chance ^^. btw am beginner on guitar may me u can help me out ;)

cheer
x
Belle moe

Hey, that sounds great, I am planning on bringing my guitar!!!

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I'm really getting excited now :) Hope to catch up with some of you in person on arrival.

I am an aussie too and i had a question about taxes when we come back to Australia with no advice yet...Where are you planning to save your money? For 100,000 aud a year that they are claiming tax free, i will have to pay 30000 tax...are you happy about this or do you think there are ways around this? Good luck and all the best. Zoe

hi there....
well dubai is land of desert which is very hungry for the rythm........  n the only difference in dxb n aus is kangaroos........;)
well it wud be a gr8 decision, i also have one of my frnd who is frm johannesburg n a musician by proffesion... u can catch her at Kempinsiki MOTE...
hope u explore dxb wit ur music...