Rejected from USA Visa

Hello good afternoon friends,
Well I just want to share my mind-set with all of you guys. i have been rejected from USA Visa twice from last 2 years and every time the allegation was the same  that i might not come back to my home country. What the hell is this?
Let's put in this way I guess if he/she the visa officers likes you then you will be lucky to get the visa otherwise no chance. I am very disappointed from their decision. They reject my Application is fine for me but cause of refusal is totally useless. I work as an Executive Officer in German Company furthermore I am sure that I can't find the white collar job in USA,
I mean how come they can judge the person in 3 to 4 mints of interview?   I have visited more than 10 countries and couple business trips to Germany and Canada, if I don't want to come back then i should stay in Canada. I have only one empty page left on my passport.

The reason behind to share everything here is that I might get some valuable information, 
Wish you have a nice weekend friends.
I am know in this blog and really looking forward to make new friends,
Kind Regards
Faisal.

To put it simply, because of your country of origin you are considered to be a flight risk and may over stay. 
It has nothing to do whether the immigration officers like you or not. They have regulations and criteria to follow. 

And unfortunately for you the more times you apply and are then knocked back you are in the spotlight each time you try.

my wife recently applied for the first time (Philippine passport) and she was approved.  I got mine two years ago.  Both of us holds a 10 year multiple entry B1/B2 visa.  I guess we demonstrated strong ties to go back here in KSA like working for a govt hospital for 10 years, having kids back in the Philippines. 

How long have you been working in your company? do you have family here? these items are considered your strong ties.

well i guess its very easy to realized how will come back or who will not? i do agree with your point that my country have  bad impression around the world but don't forget good and bad people are everywhere in this world even in USA, anyway there is nothing i can do now, however  i decided not to apply again unless i will be married, i am going to get married in April and after that i will try my luck again together with my wife,
but next time when i will apply for the visa i will must ask from the officer, is that really hard for those to be  granted with USA visa how already have been rejected twice.?

i am living in this country from last 6 years for the time being i am single.

what you guy's suggest me when should i apply again?

Hello Faisal,

First of all you have to understand that ALL nations have different criteria, requirements, regulations and procedures regarding the issuance of visas. You must also understand that those may not even apply to all countries from which they receive applicants. Essentially they have a complete set for each separate nation, and for some nations that means citizens of that country find it almost IMPOSSIBLE to obtain any category of visa. (Just ask anybody from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh who has ever tried to apply for a visa for Brazil - they'll tell you horror stories)

That may not sound fair to you and me, but that is just the way things are, and they're established in international laws governing immigration.

The United States of America is also one of the most selective and difficult nations in the world with regard to obtaining visas. They have had to become that way, really if you don't understand that the whole world changed following 9/11 and that the USA changed more than any other country then you'll never see the situation clearly. I'm a Canadian and prior to 9/11 we'd drive up to the border crossing, the US Customs officer would smile and ask us, "What is your citizenship?" After telling him or her that you were a Canadian the only other question you'd get (if there was one) would be, "And what's the purpose of your visit today?" That was it, nothing else, big smile and you got waved through.

Well, you can bet that 9/11 changed all that!!! The very next week there were no less than 6 video cameras aimed at each lane at the immigration booth. You were made to exit your vehicle, it was searched, your wife had to surrender her purse which was also searched. That was just land crossings. Air travel became much more difficult and fraught with regulations and restrictions. So do you really think that visa requirements didn't (or wouldn't) suffer the same kind of radical tightening????

You are a young man, at the moment single, do you own your own home or other property? Do you have a large family living in Saudi Arabia??? Worse still you're from a part of the world where tensions run high and conflict is common (not referring to just SA here, but the whole region). Do you really think that just because you have an executive job, or lots of money that is going to make it any easier for you to get a US visa??? In fact if you don't have a wife and family, home or property and a large extended family all of which are the "substantial ties" to your homeland that immigrations officials look for to determine the likelihood that you'll return there you're probably wasting your time applying for a US visa in the first place. Absent those "substantial ties" your wealth will only be viewed as a risk factor, in that you have sufficient funds to support yourself well, should it be your intention to disappear into the US society and not return to Saudi Arabia.

So, that's why your visa applications were rejected, and why they'll probably continue to be rejected until there are some significant changes in your circumstances, like marriage or buying a home, etc. That's the way it works. That's the way it works in the USA, it's also the way it works in Canada, Brazil, and even in Saudi Arabia too. Maybe you should investigate the mountains of bureaucracy involved for foreigners wishing to enter your country and ask how many of them get rejected. Perhaps then you would see things a lot more clearly.

You said it yourself.... "How come they can judge somebody in a 3 to 4 minute interview?" Well your question is also your answer. THEY CAN'T, and that's partially why you got rejected. If you don't have a personal situation that CLEARLY shows strong financial, employment, family, real estate ties to your country of origin then the visa officer must assume they don't exist. That means you're a risk and don't get a visa. It's as simple as that. In the USA post-9/11 would you want to be a visa issuing officer who made a mistake? That's not something that "oops" fixes.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Just do what everyone else does apply for Canada get the PR - do the 1001 days(Citizenship) and sneak over on a TN1

I've not idea why anyone would really want to live in a country with no free healthcare, no free higher education or social benefits in the first place. But it's some peoples delusion.

Well first of all I want to say thanks to Mr. James for the nice response. Now everything is clear, the reason is visa officers will never tell the clear story why they reject the visa? I guess they printed billions of copies with only one reason that (we can't convene the visa officer or you might not go back to home country). i never even think about to skip from USA. i just want to go there to see the L.A that's it. i have a very good job with handsome salary package. i am professional man, don't like to do silly things, things might be change when i will be married man.

And Mr. Mrthoth like a said before i dont want to live there just want to visit. Nothing more.

Rule of thumb, everyone is assumed an intending immigrant when they apply for a nonimmigrant US visa (I guess same principle goes to other countries), it is up to the applicant to prove otherwise that their application is legit and has no intention to stay in that country beyond what is allowed.  Convincing the visa officer is the challenging part though....

reesemicah wrote:

Rule of thumb, everyone is assumed an intending immigrant when they apply for a nonimmigrant US visa (I guess same principle goes to other countries), it is up to the applicant to prove otherwise that their application is legit and has no intention to stay in that country beyond what is allowed.  Convincing the visa officer is the challenging part though....

That is it exactly, very well said! It holds true for the USA, the UK, Canada and every other nation in the civilized world.

Cheers,
James

Just to let you know I am a US citizen currently living in Jeddah. Last summer I was at my mom's and we drove into Canada for my cousin's wedding. Entering Canada wasn't to hard, but coming back into the US with a US passport I was questioned why I had a Saudi visa in my passport & how long would I be there. Now this is in a car with my mom & my 2 children under 5 with us. Security is tight for everyone after 9/11 & now with IS there is even more scrutiny when you enter the US even from Canada

"Just to let you know I am a US citizen currently living in Jeddah. Last summer I was at my mom's and we drove into Canada for my cousin's wedding. Entering Canada wasn't to hard, but coming back into the US with a US passport I was questioned why I had a Saudi visa in my passport & how long would I be there. Now this is in a car with my mom & my 2 children under 5 with us. Security is tight for everyone after 9/11 & now with IS there is even more scrutiny when you enter the US even from Canada"

i am totally agreed with that..Entering Canada or any other country is this world is not really hard. i have been to more then 10 countries.including German, France. London. Italy. Canada, Russia, turkey and with in 10 to 20 mints immigration officer stamped on my passport and allow me to enter the country. after 9/11 things are really changed specially for pakistan.

Don't quite understand it, I'm British - well Scottish, and have never been questioned on the USA with a UK passport and an H1-B or Canada - think my PR runs out this year, just a wave and a stamp even at the tunnel or rainbow bridge.... you guys must be making them suspect you, doing something dodgy, looking sneaky .... even the Bahrain Causeway the guy stamps the receipt without me opening the car up.

In saying that I come from a country where the police don't need to carry firearms, the health system is completely free (the English have to pay for prescriptions) the Education is free (the English have to pay :) they might know that I'm not going to stay.

mrthoth wrote:

Don't quite understand it, I'm British - well Scottish, and have never been questioned on the USA with a UK passport and an H1-B or Canada

That's exactly why you aren't bothered, you're British. There is such a thing as "profiling" those who pass through immigrations everywhere in the world. You need only be a citizen of certain nations or travel to and from them frequently in order to be profiled and thus subject to increased scrutiny. Also when you enter the USA and your passport is scanned by the CBP officer your entire entry/exit history to the country pops up on their computer screen, anything unusual there is flagged. This comes directly from a close personal friend of mine who is with the Department of Homeland Security - Immigrations and Customs Enforcement - ICE.

The OP was denied a visa and is subject to much more scrutiny in the USA for a number of very obvious reasons:

1.  He is a Pakistani citizen;
2.  He resides in Saudi Arabia;
3.  He makes frequent trips abroad;
4.  He is unmarried;
5.  He obviously has no (immediately visible) substantial ties to Saudi Arabia since he's an expat who's been there 6 years according to him;
6.  He probably still has substantial ties to Pakistan; and
7.  He has the financial wherewithal to easily support himself in the USA if it were his intention to remain there illegally (no judgement here, just stating a factor)
8.  He comes from a region noted for ongoing political unrest and US military involvement.

What do you really think is going to happen with anyone who fits that profile???? You are fortunate not to be in that situation, so you'd really have no way of knowing what it is like. Count your blessings!

This poor soul, unfortunately, is in that situation and despite his good intentions he falls into a profile group that penalizes him.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Dear Mr. James.
Well I do not agree with all your points you mentioned above.
1.    First of all I am proud to be Pakistani, like a said before good and bad people are everywhere; it's our bad luck that we always elect the bad person.
2.    Yes I am Saudi resident. For your information Saudi Arabia is one of the rich country in this world, however in large number of Americans and British people live and work here cos they can make good money, yes really good money more then you imagine.
3.    That is not my intention to stay there, I am earning much more here than USA, it took me 6 years to achieve my goals and reach on this position, remain there illegally does not make sense for me. For that reason please don't assume if you don't know the reality.
4.    (He comes from a region noted for ongoing political unrest and US military involvement) your last point is does not make sense at all, Pakistan never ever allow US military involvement to resolve our political or any other  issues, Pakistani Army is strong enough to support and stand for the Pakistan.
5.    Moreover there are so many people in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia granted with US visa. There must be something wrong in my profile and i accept that.

wish you have a nice day.

Kind Regards
Faisal.

Hi,
You need show them few things which shows "STRONG TIES" to your home country/ country of residence for example:
BANK STATEMENT, FAMILY DETAILS, CAR, PAID RENT, SUBSCRIPTIONS, PHOTOGRAPHS OF YOUR FAMILY AND BELONGINGS, PHOTOGRAPHS, BILL and BOOKING OF YOUR LAST FEW TRIPS, SPONSORSHIP LETTER FROM COMPANY WHERE YOU ARE GOING, or SPONSORSHIP LETTER FROM RELATIVE THOSE CALLING YOU WITH ALL TAX DETAILS, BOOKED HOTEL AND FLIGHT.

UmairMansoor wrote:

Hi,
You need show them few things which shows "STRONG TIES" to your home country/ country of residence for example:
BANK STATEMENT, FAMILY DETAILS, CAR, PAID RENT, SUBSCRIPTIONS, PHOTOGRAPHS OF YOUR FAMILY AND BELONGINGS, PHOTOGRAPHS, BILL and BOOKING OF YOUR LAST FEW TRIPS, SPONSORSHIP LETTER FROM COMPANY WHERE YOU ARE GOING, or SPONSORSHIP LETTER FROM RELATIVE THOSE CALLING YOU WITH ALL TAX DETAILS, BOOKED HOTEL AND FLIGHT.

Although recommended to prepare these docs during your interview, you will be surprise these supporting documents are most of the time never asked by the visa officer.  They rely their decisions based on your answers in the interview and of course should be consistent on what was written in your DS-160.  These officers are highly trained and if they have some reservations and skeptical in your profile, most likely you will be denied.

I once had a colleague here at work.  She is married to an American stationed here in KSA.  They have one kid in the Philippines.  When she applied for the first time visitor visa, the officer was straightforward in saying she is likely not going to come back in KSA.  With benefit of the doubt and at the end, she was given single entry visa with words of encouragement from the officer that if she comes back and applies again for visit visa, she will be issued multiple.  Indeed, in her second application, although not the same officer who interviewed her during her first application, she was issued 10 Years multiple entry, probably it was noted in her profile.

Salaam Faisal

Nothing to worry if your application for US visa were rejected multiple times. Go and apply again. I have questions er doubts. since you mentioned that you got to visit other 10 countries except USA. You mentioned that you've been to Germany and Canada, other countries right?

Let me ask you these questions:
1. What particular questions did the embassies of Germany, Canada and the other 10 countries asked you when you applied for a visa?
2. What did you show as proofs to these embassies?
3. Do you think the questions asked by these 10 other countries are different from what the US embassy asked you?

If you really did get to those 10 countries then you must know how to prove yourself with the US consular interview. Right? since you said you applied many times, right? 10 countries, 10 interviews, 10 successful visa. See the point? Let me tell you that 90% of the consular questions from different countries are the same.

There is one underlining requirement during the interview, which is always asked in, English. You must be very good in expressing yourself in ENGLISH. 

What are the questions asked of you by Germany, Canada and other 10 countries? Please list down here. And I will tell you the questions I was asked by the US embassy that got me 10 year visa.

i would like to bring your kind notice that only US embassy call for interview before issuing the visa. not any other country. i just submitted  all required documents to the visa consular section and with in two working day i get backmy passport with the visa.

i was asked the following question from the visa officer.

1. r u married?
2. what you are doing here
3. how long you have been living here
4. do you know anyone lives in State.
5. why you want to go to USA.

I am an unmarried 30 yr old female.I was born in Saudia and living with my parents here.I have never worked in my whole life and my dad still supports me.I got US visa easily.Even though I didn't have any answer to the questions the counselor asked.I even felt embarrassed to say "I don't know" about everything he asked...lol
The only questions I answered were ,what's your date of birth and name of the city where you were born.

wow...that's nice congratulation miss sara.

i am working here from last 6 years got a very good job an Executive level with handsome salary package and the good thing was i answered all of his questions and at the end he said. " sorry sir i cant issue to the visa, try next time"
well it's not an big issue i will try again and again, never give up, 
like i mentioned on my previous post its all depend on visa officer. if he/she likes you then you will be granted with visa otherwise no chance. and may be the visa officers likes the way you answer..

do they ever refuse visa application for Saudi? I dont think so not unless you have criminal background..their personal appearance is just for formality (I guess)....

its very easy for saudi national  to get USA.

Hello,

In the US, they will look at the following "risk factors" :

- If you're are single
- If you're young
- if you're young and single :)
- If you do not own valuable property within your country of birth and residence such as a house, a business
- the provenance of your country (such as economy etc)

All the above will proof as "high risk" of you staying in the country passed your visa expiration date. I know this is unfair if that is not your intention, but statistics speak for themselves.

One point that is very important, is the type of visa you initially applied for.

For a young person with no tie, the best would be to apply for a business visa (with proof and background) or a short residency/study visa. This will have to be in close relation to the activity you are already having withing your study or professional field.

Also, if you simply apply for visitor visa and have a history of moving from one country to another, they might think that you intend to move to the US

If that is the case, you might try a business visa, with all what that may imply. The US never turns down money :)

In any case, don't give, where there is a will, there is a way and in the US everything is possible, but you must find the proper way.

Best of luck to you !

D.

ps: if you have family, kids, house, valuable goods in your country, it is more likely as a proof that will not return and not abandon your wealth and family to roam the streets of N.Y city ;)

like i said the embassy questions are almost identical with EU countries.

first they will ask you where do you intend to stay in that country. next how much you will spend. next how long you will stay. what will you do there. do you have relatives in that country. DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN (pakistan or saudi) THAT WILL REQUIRE/COMPEL YOU TO RETURN? this last question is important and you may need to show something to them. at the end of the day, the decision is theirs.

In my experiences, my interview was done infront of the consul. For the EU country, the interview was done over the phone.

btw they don't care about the applicants job position. but if your employer is American company, it is a +.

Getting a visa is a matter of luck.  They are very prejudice, most specially, if the officer is not an American Anglo, but a naturalized-local.   Those officers that can speak the local language are very bad.

In addition, if one has a "suspect" look, this can be anything, but like muslim beard, you will not get it.  If you are too sharply dressed with nice fashion, they will suspect you will remain illegally in the USA.  If you are poorly dressed, then you could also have the need and drive to remain in the USA.   If a lady, young and beautiful, she could remain to seek marriage or engage in illegal activities.   Basically, they issue visa to elder people that don't speak English that obviously will not be interested in the USA.  It's a matter of luck, depending of the officer.  They don't like long names they can't pronounce.  All must have one syllab name: Tom, Dick, Don, Dan, Jim, Jeff, Pete, Paul, Kim.  If your name has four syllables, won't get it.

Best wishes to all.

Hi,

I am not sure the reason but as per new Saudi law ur Iqama profession and ur job letter must indicate the same. Otherwise it rejected. I have been reject due to same reason for UK visa but later I provided company letter as per my Iqama profession and it got approved in 2 days. Try ur luck again.

Just chill.

Regards

Hello: Please consider  your approach. You say U've been in Saudi for several years. Having just returned from 5+ years of employment in KSA, I can guess that the Saudi experience probably wasn't' the best "people skills building" experience. U need to be very tactful and understand the pressures for US officials to screen out potential trouble makers. My experience with a lot of 3rd country nationals (TCN) was quite positive, but a number of TCN's, particularly the upper middle class type were quite testy, perhaps having had to put up with less than spectacular treatment from Saudis, particularly as Saudis often fail to distinguish upper from lower class TCNs, treating most foreigners, particularly TCN's as no better than seasonal import labor. Try to get together with some other expats who can go over your interview skills. Put aside some of your pride. If U could do that for the Saudis, U can surely do that for US consular officials, who are more likely to respect you for the human being U are than many of the people U've likely worked for in the Middle East. -pbn

Bravo!  Well said!  I followed the entire post and "felt" the chip on shoulder that was being voiced... Attitude!   And I'd bet someone is really trying to stay beyond a trip to Disneyland...😜
   If I can sense this here - imagine a trained immigration officer... U ain't going to US for obvious reasons...  The system does work... 😎🇺🇸

very strange... a guy who has travelled G8 countries and refused from us visit visa.
valuable information about how their immigration officers treat. There must be option of appeal or reconsider the application once it is refused.

Best regards

thank you guy for the nice information and sharing your thought, i do agreed with some of the point, however according to my experience its all depend on the Visa officer, however if  you are married then you have plus point and chances are high to get the visa,  one of my friend from here mentioned if  we dressed up on the day of interview then its won't be the plus point, i just want to say that we are professional working with multi  culture environment we need to be dressed up.
furthermore i dont think so we need a special training for the interview they ask very simple question. and i asn all of his questions the visa officer checked my passport full with multi visas,

however i will never give up i will try again but together with my wife. i hope we can appeal, but there is no such process, we have to apply again,

Make your statement!!  Although there is no appeal process, if you come back and ask visa with your wife, and show a vacation coming ahead, then you may get a bigger chance.  By re-appearing, you are stating it was unfair the first time. 

Do not dress up like a sugar-groom on top of a wedding cake.  Go casual, jeans, dockers, cotton pinstripe shirt with no tie, no cuffs, brown loafer shoes, a sports jacket, and very importantly a clean fresh shave.  Don't dress up with three piece suit. Go casual.   Same for wife.

U.S. law generally requires visa applicants to be interviewed by a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. After relevant information is reviewed, the application is approved or denied, based on standards established in U.S. law.

While the vast majority of visa applications are approved, U.S. law sets out many standards under which a visa application may be denied. An application may be denied because the consular officer does not have all of the information required to determine if the applicant is eligible to receive a visa, because the applicant does not qualify for the visa category for which he or she applied, or because the information reviewed indicates the applicant falls within the scope of one of the inadmissibility or ineligibility grounds of the law. An applicant's current and/or past actions, such as drug or criminal activities, as examples, may make the applicant ineligible for a visa.

If denied a visa, in most cases the applicant is notified of the section of law which applies. Visa applicants are also advised by the consular officer if they may apply for a waiver of their ineligibility. Several of the most common reasons for visa ineligibilities are explained below. For more information, review the visa ineligibilities in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

The sole authority to approve or deny (called adjudicate) visa applications, under U.S. immigration law section 104(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, is given to consular officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates.

There are many reasons a visa applicant could be found ineligible for a visa. These reasons, called ineligibilities, are listed in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and other immigration laws. Some ineligibilities can be overcome, either by you, the visa applicant, or the U.S. petitioner, in certain immigrant visa cases. Other ineligibilities are permanent. This means that every time you apply for a visa, you will be found ineligible under the same section of law, unless a waiver of that ineligibility is authorized by the Department of Homeland Security.

so what should i do. simply leave it, or try it again together with my wife? yes you are right when ever  i will apply for visa, i will be found by ineligible, is there any possibility for those people to be granted with visa how already have been reacted twice like me?

Dear Faisal,

As mentioned by some one in one of the posts, communication skills do make a difference and I feel that you may not be communicating your case properly.
Also, I wonder what makes you so desperate to visit the US. There is no point in trying again and again for something which is not worth the effort and which should not be impacting your life in any way.

Guys , is a travel ticket necessary to apply ?

Do they need bank slips ? Bank Statement ?

What if my father is funding me for my trip ?

Please advise on what is required , will be applying from Dhahran !

Go to the USA section of this blog and they have pinned a whole topic on visas.

Hello Arabian Knight,

I suggest you check the articles in the Living in Saudi Arabia guide.
You will have a good idea about the steps to be taken.

Good Luck!
Marjorie

I am not wondering, you not get a visa by U.S. Immigration Authority. But this is not an issue with your citizenship. The reasons for this are in your person only

Mr. Shamas, this are your duties?

Summary
- Technical Teaching/Training/Lecturing, Production of 100% Original Courseware & Assessments
- Educational Measurements (Rasch), Educational Quality Assurance
- Academic Writing & Report Writing

Since 2011, I have served as an Executive officer in GIZ at TTC Project (Technical Training College) managing the Dean's office and coordinate with the Dean to manage all the Academic and general issues. I have over 8 years of experience in various fields in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, and 6 years living in the region, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, I Speak Arabic and English, Read and speak some German.

I am capable of making a significant contribution to the work flow of the unit due to my flexible approach to work.

Source https://sa.linkedin.com/pub/faisal-shamas/a0/b70/33

Or you lie totally about your qualification and duties. I think, the last!

Mr Shams
Nice information about expected questions from the interviewer for US visa

should we mentioned in interview about family and friends are in US, what do u say.