I am planning on moving to D.R and I need help....

Hello everyone, I found this website after months of searching things on the internet about D.R (Santo  Domingo).  Before I start asking questions I want  to thank everyone especially "Bob K and Planner"  for their amazing job by trying to help us newbies out. In my opinion, you guys are THE BEST and this website is exactly what I've been searching for. Now be patient with me because I have a bunch of questions.... lol.                   

You guys ready?  okay, let me introduce myself. My name  is Ketty, I live in Florida with my parents, I am a student,  and I am 20 years  old. 

I have never been to D.R but I am  planning on moving to Santo  Domingo area by myself at the end  of April or beginning of May of this year. I don't speak Spanish but I am not worry  about it because I am  young ( well... not that young) but what I was  trying to say is I will do my  best to learn it as fast and best as possible (Yup... I am a positive thinker).
I don't  have a date set up yet but I know for a fact  that I am moving and I going to Unibe. I would like to find an unfinished studio or one bedroom apartment  for $300 or less since I am going to depend on my parents to pay for it.

Now buckle up because like I mentioned earlier, I have lots of questions:
1) what  is the affordable  and safe hotel near Unibe?
2) do you guys know any website where I can look for unfinished studio or apartment?

3) I really don't want to spend  lots of money  on hotel, how long it might take me to find a house?

4) what is the safest area to live? I don't mind living far from Unibe as long as the distance is not an hour on bus or taxi since I will not have a car.

5) where can I buy affordable furniture? all I need is a roof over my head, a comfortable bed, a table, tv and cooking essentials. I was thinking about buying them from U.S. and ship them. Is  it a good idea? If so, any idea shipping company in mind?

6) how is  the water? do  I need water filter? what do you think  I need to bring as a student other than the obvious things?

7) can you  guys give  me an idea on monthly budget (in U.S.) for one person (for necessary stuff like taxi, food, phone etc).

It would mean a lot to me if any  of you could help me  putting some of my puzzle pieces together.

Thanks.

Hola you have determination, great spirit and true grit, That will come in handy here in D.R.  Two nice neighborhoods I find are Gazcue and the Colonial Zone both pricey though, but not that far from UNIBE  and University City Look at the classifieds in Listen Diario and Hoy. Try on-line. Also check DR-1,com and Dominican Today.com, Ex-Pat is a great source as well, for listings and information. There is an IKEA in Santo Domingo and lots of furniture stores as well as compra/ventas (pawn shops). It may be easier than shipping and more cost effective in that you do not know the dimensions and dynamics of your studio-apt yet. Electronics here, TV's, etc. are a lot more expensive than in the U.S, however. Hey get a map and study it well. Read all you can on D.R. including the U.S, State Dept. reports. It's a great Island, especially for students. Learn, learn, learn Spanish.  Immerse yourself. Be careful, be safe. Go slow. Enjoy. Buena fortuna.

Welcome and a few questions for  you first.
1.  Why do you want to study here where the education is far inferior to studying in the Sates.
2.  How much research have you done  on living here?
3.  Why in  a country that you don't even speak the language.
4.  What are you going to be studying?
5.  Are you going to be able to support yourself 100%  (hopefully you are not planning on working to support yourself here)
6.  Have you started your residency and Cedula (national ID card) process yet?

I  have a bad feeling about this move without you having been here before. 

Bob K

Obviously, the girl has no idea what she's getting into :) SD is not a place you want to move to ESPECIALLY if you've never been there.

Welcome to the forums!   I have some serious concerns too.  HOw are you going to study in Unibe? In SPanish or English?  Do you have a student Visa???  Have you thought about that?

Yes you can get an inexpensive apartment,  Yes you can furnish it inexpensively far less then trying to ship stuff in. 

We do not drink tap water and filtered water is readily available and cheap.

Monthly budget can range from as low as  US 750 a month to several thousand.  My guess for you just living costs and transportation will get you around US 1,000 a month.    Without spanish your ability to negotiate prices will be non existent.

thank you so much. your words mean a  lot

Hi there.'...good questions. I agree with you 100% on inferior education. I choose to go to Unibe because It  is one of DR school with best education and it has English program. My brother went there, he is a doctor at UF hospital here in Florida.  My brother kinda told me about life in DR but it has been 7 long years since he graduated. My current physician went there also. so since I am going for the Medical program and always wanted to add Spanish as my 5th language.... i choose over there. like I mentioned on my original post, my parents going to support me. My residency and id card is in process. lol I try my best to answer al of your questions. let me know if  you have more ques..... oh one more thing..... u don't have to worry about "the move" cause im am a fighter I will survive  ;) . hope I answer ur questions. thanks

hummm may I ask why?

I don't have a student  visa yet but im working on it. im am going for the English program. thanks a lot for your input.

planner wrote:

Welcome to the forums!   I have some serious concerns too.  HOw are you going to study in Unibe? In SPanish or English?  Do you have a student Visa???  Have you thought about that?

Yes you can get an inexpensive apartment,  Yes you can furnish it inexpensively far less then trying to ship stuff in. 

We do not drink tap water and filtered water is readily available and cheap.

Monthly budget can range from as low as  US 750 a month to several thousand.  My guess for you just living costs and transportation will get you around US 1,000 a month.    Without spanish your ability to negotiate prices will be non existent.

I don't have a student  visa yet but im working on it. im am going for the English program. thanks a lot for your input.

I don't care if your entire family is in the medical field your Medical education here is a JOKE compared to what you would get in the US (believe me I know the situation VERY well).  Plus you will then have a very hard time getting a residency in the US and any mickey mouse residency you get here will leave you light years behind the curve.

Do yourself a favor and enroll in a medical school in the US.  Borrow up to your eyeballs if you have to but do it!

BObK

lol I appreciate your opinion but residency in USA is depend on your B.S with high gpa, mcat score, and tst 1 nd 2 .  I graduated college with 4.0, university with 4.2 and 30+ on my on my mcat so I have no worries.... but thinks..

Sounds like  you would qualify for a US school  so I am in the dark as to why you are seeking a second rate education.  Maybe I am missing something

Bob K

You said: "My brother went there, he is a doctor at UF hospital here in Florida."

So if I understand you well, your brother studied medicine in Santo Domingo and nonetheless, could become a doctor in the USA? How is this done?

If such thing is possible, I understand why someone would want to avoid the humongous debts that come with medical studies in the USA.

It is possible to practice in the US with training elsewhere but requires certain tests and sometimes more education and is much more difficult to get a residency spot with a non US degree.

BObK

yes and it is possible only if
1) the school is accredited in USA
2)you do your part..(study hard).

Great then! Now Ketty, the ultimate question is: do you have a strong desire to live here? Dominican Republic is not like Florida by any stretch of the imagination.

The best course of action is to first live here for at least one month but more if you can. See if you feel comfortable in Santo Domingo and if the Dominican lifestyle is for you. Before doing so, use free internet resources to learn Spanish. Come here with at least basic Spanish mastery or every little thing will be an ordeal. Good news: Spanish is learned easily. I suggest frequently listening to Dominican TV shows to get used to the accent (not easy at first).

If Santo Domingo passes the test with you and if you're willing to take that route with your studies, all the rest can be figured out.

to  be honest im kinda worry abt me moving to a new environment but I will be okay.( I guess lol). Thanks for your suggestions, I  will keep them in mind.

You still have no really answered why you are so actively seeking a second rate education????

Bob K

In late November in Punta Cana I met a girl from upstate New York, around my age. In the course of our conversations she said she was starting to make money with her medical practice. "Great" I thought. Then she dropped the bomb: a big fat $200k student debt. *Two hundred thousand dollars* in the hole and no assets.   :o

Doctors can make great money in the US, but in the ultra-materialistic American lifestyle (particularly true for Florida), being surrounded with other well-paid professionals brings all the peer pressure of driving expensive cars, going out in posh places, owning fancy houses and so on. Your debt slowly becomes an everyday reality to the point where you stop actively repaying it.

Being burried under student debts of that scale means you have no freedom whatsoever. Carrying a $200k debt on your shoulders at age 30 means you have no choice but work your *** off for decades if you want to only hope repaying it, buying a house, saving a little bit for the studies of your own children and having a retirement. That reality in itself would make a strong argument for seeking alternative solutions for education, provided they are viable.

But we're just talking here.

I have to disagree with your argument.  Yes you can end up with a huge debt.  However it is not unmanageable.  Many end up working for hospitals or large groups which will help with the dept.  Also most can be paid off over 10 years or more  (mine took 12 years) with monthly payments that are not too bad. As well as most med school loans are of low interest or sometimes no interest until you are actively practicing.

Then of course are the armed service programs which pay for all of your education in exchange for "payback" time.  Many of my classmates went this route.

It can be done and I am sorry you end up being such a better (trained and educated) physician this was, and is that not the bottom line??? To be the best doc you can possibly be.

Bob K

I take your word, Bob K! To me it all boils down to your tolerance to debts. I have none and I'd never accept spending 12 years repaying anybody for anything, except if it was linked to some strong asset building up my capital in a very obvious way. Ketty, anything to say about this? Bob K has an argument about quality of education.

Bob, For me it is not about  the money or getting admitted here because I got accepted in NYU...it is all abt the language and I know the school that I am going  to is ACCREDITED, like I mentioned before... I know two doctors (my brother and my physician) who went there, they did well on step 1&2, did there rotations here and they had no problems for residency, took their exams here and they are currently working as MD. so why not????

You seem to know where you're going Ketty! Now bring yourself here and see if you like the vibe. That's step 1 to your plan.

Hmmmm, this young lady has some strange things going on in her head.
Bob, and others, you are trying to get your VERY VALID questions answered honestly.
We are still waiting.
Ketty, come here to visit with your brother for a week.
We'll see what happens. SD is not a safe place after dark.
Also, we have 2 children in SD Universities. Classes usually start in August.

Bob K, don't be so harsh to Ketty.  You have most definitely stated your opinion.  It is her decision to make,  her mistake to make ( if that is how it turns out).  Come down & stay for awhile as suggested to learn if it is for you.   You are lucky not to have $$ money worries at this time.   BUT,  you must learn the language!!!!!  PM me, I have an excellent free system that I use.  You can download the site for free.or almost.  I paid $7.95 for it.   The system is phenomenaly (sp) easy to use.  Ketty, you are welcome to it.  Do what your heart & mind tell you to do.    Decisions & acts are not mistakes unless you repeat them..   Life should always be an adventureous learning experience.   When that stops, life becomes boring & so do you.   Make your own frontiers & come hell or high water, you'll be a better person for it.   Good fortune to you what ever you decide to do.

thanks Gypsy I will pm you. I am going there on April 17th hopefully I like it.

Your analysis is impeccable. A ray of sunhine in an oft horrid display of doubt. i suspect there is a sort of need for a devil's advocate. I believe with keen judgment, a positive attitude and high spirits one can achieve a lot of great things. Just be prepared and do your best, Again great analysis. I suspect the person's Brother and Doctor are duly qualified as are many Doctors who have studied here in D.R. and practice in many other parts arount the world.  Thanks for sharing.

Good evening!

I think, you are on the right track. UNIBE is known for the affordability of its programs in comparison to the U.S. outrageous tuition fees.

UNIBE School of Medicine is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) within the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).This process allows the students/graduate physicians to receive Federal Funds and Financial Aid and enables the students to take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). The School is approved by the Florida Department of Education's Commission for Independent Education.

Indeed, it is recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO), Tribunal Examinador de Medicos de Puerto Rico, and Spain's Ministry of Education.

Don't be afraid in going to SD. It's an amazing city with it's chaos and everything. If you use your common sense, you will definitely succeed.

All the best.

D.

thx drtuttle.

Thank you.  That should give the nay - sayers pause to contemplate  their perhaps erroneous opinions.       Hooray for youe efforts.   Good to see someone doing the research rather than relying on hearsay  or having a bum episode themselves.  Again, than you.

I  wish you luck.  But do come and visit for time before making the plunge.

Bob K

thank you Bob K. I am going to take your advice. once again thx...

Lively discussion is always good to see!   We all have opinions,  weigh them and make your choices!   

And yes please take some time to come and see if Santo Domingo is for you, it isn't for everyone. I spent 4 years there and really liked it!

I know the UNIBE is a great university.
My main concern is for the young ladies
safety if she is alone in SD.
My ideal wish is for her & her brother
to come to SD & he can show her around.

hi Thomas, Thanks for you comments. We're going to SD on April 17th

If you need a cheap hotel in la Zona Colonial, you can check Casa Conde Boutique Hotel on Calle El Conde. Good, safe and clean place, doesn't break the bank.

And easy walk to restaurants, shopping, clubs, transportation etc....

Perfect Ketty. Hang close to your brother & listen to him.
Enjoy our country & good luck with your education.
Tom.

Isn't it nice to see negatives turn into positives?  A little careful thought, a little less emotion does wonders does it not?   What 5 languages do you speak Ketty?  I believe you said 5.