Expired Tourist Visa, Departing country with intention for Re-entry

Hi everyone! I read a lot of the forums here and they are very helpful so I hope someone can help me with my situation.

I know this was has happened to many people: I missed my day to renew my Tourist Visa and had to do it on the 91st day. I tried at the Salvador airport as I was travelling at the time. They informed me I was not able to extend it at all because I was flagged in the system. They sent me on my way. Once I returned to Recife (where I live) I went to the Policia Federal and spoke with them. They said, sure, no problem to extend (WRONG!) They put me in the system and saw I had stayed over 90 days and this was impossible. They asked me to pay the muta (fine) then and there, I signed a form and they allowed me 5 days to exit the country. My original question to them was, can I leave the country and come back and get another 90 days? They said yes, but you have to leave.

Great. So I booked a flight to Foz do Iguacu (they recommended this). I leave this Sunday. I wish to cross the border, get a new stamp and re-enter Brazil the same day and fly home.

A friend of mine in Rio is now telling me I need to leave for a full 90 days before being allowed to re-enter Brazil again. IS THIS TRUE? I have been looking everywhere to find where it says this. I have NOT stayed the full 180 days. Can someone please confirm for me based on your experience? I am really scared to leave the country and not be allowed back in because all my things will be in Recife.

Also, does anyone have specific experience crossing the border near Foz do Iguacu they can share?

Your tips and comments are highly appreciated, Thank you!

It all depends on what passport you hold, so we need to know that before we can give you a relevant answer to your question.

Hi James,
My mistake. I am on a Canadian Tourist Visa.

Using a VITUR Tourist Visa one is permitted to be in Brazil for a maximum of 180 days per (rolling) year. Those days can be exercised consecutively, that is to say you can be in the country for 90 days and then can request an extension for an additional 90, provided that they had not been in Brazil at any time in the year prior.

This is something that cannot be done by those who enter under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or Schengen Area Agreement. They are only permitted 90 days, which must be followed by 90 days absence, at which point they may then enter for a further 90 days.

The person that told you that you needed to wait 90 days to come back obviously confused the two distinctly different processes.

If you have not been in Brazil before you are fine, you can immediately return to the country after crossing the border and you'll be allowed 90 days. If you have been in Brazil prior to now then you'd be allowed the remaining balance of the 180 days you are entitled to for a year.

Cheers,
James

Thank you so much James, you are a lifesaver!!

I had been in brazil last year in February/March for a couple weeks. So I suppose that will be subtracted from my time if they catch it.

I guess I am going to Foz do Iguaçu :-)