Driving a scooter

what requirements are needed to drive a scooter in vietnam?

A helmet is probably a good idea. Courage ranks right up there too. Oh yea...a little patience with others sharing the road might come in handy. The raincoat thing that fits over like a huge poncho. Don't forget to smile alot and bob your head up and down when you hear music blasting from one of the merchant stores. And please endeavor to pay attention to where you are going, as there are plenty of distractions....a myriad of women on other motorbikes that appear to have been genetically altered by Dr. Finetush. I for one always feel grateful to have arrived back home safely.

Thanx for the heads up vnescape i'll take that onboard, not sure about that certain distraction tho!So i do not need any documents to ride a scooter?

Normally a driver license, proof of insurance, helmet, vehicle registration all go hand in hand. seems many foreigners get away as most police dont speak english and it becomes a hassle. Doesnt hurt to have a bit of cash to hand over for breakfast or lunch money as some call it. Dont be a hassler if stopped, be polite, money given as gift to police should be discreet. Playing the dumb foreigner tactic may help too. Just dont expect to hop on a scooter or motorbike and think the world is at your feet. It is dangerous if you dont understand the way locals drive (avoid collisions) and there are those who may trap you into a small collision to gain money at your expense. In these situations prob best not to include the police as they will side with locals in most cases.

thnx for the advice will take that on board

hi all,

May i know where to buy a cheap decent auto motor-bike/scooter/vespar for riding in hcmc?.... /i intend to buy 1 for my viet girlfriend....

Thanks! :)

Here's the procedure for getting a license.

http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/t … 01#content

Remember, if you hit and hurt someone you could be looking at a lifetime of compensation, so be careful.

dear guys,

May i know if honda alpha or honda wave referring to the same bike?

May i know the cost for a second hand? OR maybe do you guys know where is the official honda outlet in HCMC?

Thanks.

Good post vnescape!

You can buy insurance on weekdays at most gas stations. Just say BAO to a pump attendant.

There are two types: Third Party/Theft/Fire and comprehensive. If the vehicle ownership is not in your name, ask a friend to register it. Then by two Comp policies, ine in your name and address and the other in your friends name.

The main benefit is that if you seriously maim/kill someone there is someone to pay. They even pay up in the event you don't have a VN licence but they make you sweat it out in jail.

If you cause a death you will be incarcerated until the family is paid (same for Vietnamese which is why so many have drivers). If you ate incarcerated you will get complimentary accommodation and visa extensions.

It's best to carry the real policy on your person and a photocopy on your machine.

Even if you are the innocent party and someone hits you in the middle of no where there will be 10 people saying it was your fault pop up from no where (they will paid off by the other driver).

Increasingly people are using POV helmet cameras to show the police. I drive about 2,000 km per month and it has saved me a lot of money. Always take your keys out and pocket them as a favourite trick is to steal them for ransom.

Vietnamese prefer to settle for cash, I have never lost out calling the police - but they take hours to attend.