Cost of living in the Philippines – 2015

mugtech wrote:

1945 was 2 pesos to the $USA.

Now I am wondering how that really compared against costs in both countries...

ABCDiamond wrote:
mugtech wrote:

1945 was 2 pesos to the $USA.

Now I am wondering how that really compared against costs in both countries...

There wasn't much to buy, Manila had been leveled, GIs fed by Uncle Sam.

madhatter868 wrote:

The average for USD to PHP in 1986 was 20.38 in 1987 it was 20.56 average for each year.

The link above shows the average for 1986 as 18.42 with a high of 20.4923

What is your source for the different figures?
I often wonder how accurate information is on the web, even from official sources ;)

On the web  http://www.bsp.gov.ph/dbank_reports/ExchangeRates_1.asp

One uses weighted averages, the other normal averages, I wonder what the mean average was ;)

Good day,
For me living in Dulag, Leyte I am able to live comfortably on  19K pesos per/month ( just under 500 US)
Its in the province so if you want the city its one hour to TACLOBAN
3 BEDROOM HOUSE- RENT 6000  1 BLOCK TO THE OCEAN
PHONE/ INTERNET-               1600
ELECT:  NO AC                          700
PROPANE                                  150
BOTTLED WATER                      200
CABLE TV:                                  300
GROCERIES:                              4000
TRANS VAN SERVICE:                  500 once a week to TACLOBAN (grocery store)

That leaves me right at 5000  for a movie and a nice dinner out  2 times a month.
My advice Share gladly what you have, and it will be returned 10 times I LOVE DULAG!!!

Hi Dandunn, you figures look good.  Do you consider the cost of replacing mobile phones, TV's furniture etc.?  If so what do you budget for these?

dandunn wrote:

Good day,
For me living in Dulag, Leyte I am able to live comfortably on  19K pesos per/month ( just under 500 US)
Its in the province so if you want the city its one hour to TACLOBAN
3 BEDROOM HOUSE- RENT 6000  1 BLOCK TO THE OCEAN
PHONE/ INTERNET-               1600
ELECT:  NO AC                          700
PROPANE                                  150
BOTTLED WATER                      200
CABLE TV:                                  300
GROCERIES:                              4000
TRANS VAN SERVICE:                  500 once a week to TACLOBAN (grocery store)

That leaves me right at 5000  for a movie and a nice dinner out  2 times a month.
My advice Share gladly what you have, and it will be returned 10 times I LOVE DULAG!!!

I have the tatoo internet phone included with our internet, I can travel all over Leyte with it. But if you need a phone you can get one for under 400 pesos and buy loads as you need them. With the internet and Skype I personally don't need another phone. I did not figure the cost of furniture,  Because  the house I rent is furnished. I did however buy a 45" LG big screen at a local electronics store my biggest expense so far that was right at 20k (450 US) that was by choice not necessity. I will suggest that I am probably on the high end of fortunate with my house but  living simply in the province can be very inexpensive. I lived in Cebu for 2 months and there just  my rent was 25k. If I were new to the Philippines I would budget 40k per month and have enough in savings  to re-patriot to my home country I think that is prudent.

I figure here it cost me 1/2 as much to live as it would in America. I pay 23,000 a month for rent here.  That is for a 4 bedroom large house with great view. I run 2 airconditioners. live a good life here.  Electric is high here. But water is cheap. So about the same for utilities as in America.

YES...I AGREE ..SO SO CHEAP IN THE PHILIPPINES....I BOUGHT LAND NEAR THE BEACH IN NEGROS..BUILD A SMALL COTTAGE WITH A GYM....I PAY..ELEC...$20....CABLE TV...$85 A YEAR....PHONE AND WI-FI $50...THEN FOOD AND GAS FOR THE MOTORCYCLE....SO CHEAP...

It's a pain, same with hulu, you need a VPN, look it up on google, it can make them think you are in America, i use www.expressvpn, they are very good, 24/7 tech support and remote assitance, 6 years, no problem, i am in china with the same problem.
Modi

Live in the province, no rent, electric 2000, water 150, internet 1800, satellite TV 780, food 6000, gas 350, I budget $1000 a month, save money