Pensionado Visa - worth it?

The hell with that..Come and go every six months...No problem unless you plan to settle here and go for the jubilado disounts.

That price seems awfully high. Ask our lawyer for a second opinion. (we were extremely happy with his work and paid closer to half your price).

Yes, IMO, it is worth it, at least it was for us. I love this country and like being a legal resident, the credibility, etc. I love not watching the calendar for border runs, and being able to buy a round trip ticket from here. We haven't taken advantage of many discounts because we don't eat out, buy medicine, etc but I did get a very nice discount on the last Copa airline tickets I bought. My next trip though, Copa prices were high even with the discount so I'm flying with another airline. So, YMMV on that one.

The biggest hassle for many people is getting the background check, the FBI fingerprints, etc. I had to wait until my social security kicked in to qualify for residency, and by that time I had been here two years and could get a background check done here in Panama. It was SO easy. So, if you aren't sure what you want to do, live here for a couple years, make sure it's a good fit, take some nice weekend trips to explore Costa Rica or somewhere else for your border runs, and apply for residency later.

would you tell me the name of the attorney you used for your visa?

pete peterman

would you please share the name of your attorney?

who are you asking? Scroll up to find my last post with the info for our attorney

junkrunner :

would you please share the name of your attorney?

My advice?  Take your time!!  Make sure Panama is where you really want to be for the rest of your life before making such a large investment!

My story?  I moved to panama with the thought of making it a permanent move.  The first six months, I was in heaven.  I loved Panama and everything about it.  At the twelve month mark, doubt started to creep in...  It's HARD and don't let anyone tell you differently.  I never buckled down and learned Spanish, and, again, don't let anyone tell you you don't need it.  You do!  Family obligations came up.  Long story short, I was back in the USA within a year and a half.  I AM so glad I didn't apply for a visa during my honeymoon period because it would have been wasted money.  Take your time, be sure.

Not saying I don't agree, I do. However some of us, the honeymoon phase didn't hit until year 4 or so.

That being said, yeah many things are not at all what I expected but I cannot even think about living in the US again.

So honeymoon is over, but geez, doesn't that happened with marriages too? You either decide that you are in it for the long haul or not.

We are here and really can't think of anywhere else I would want to live. So bottom line? Just take the word "why" out of your vocabulary and you will do just fine here  :D

Questions and answers about visas

Ask your question
Can you work under the friendly nations visa?
By Leapoffaith2016
Pensionado question
By SunsetSteve
Panama-Costa Rica-Panama
By patolucas196738
pensionado visa
By lrobinson
FBI report for VISA
By Books&Wine
Rod L
Cedula Visa,s Both or Neither
By Rod L