Moving Around In Ecuador - Esmeraldas, Quito?

So I've taken up quite an interest in Ecuador and have visited a whole range of places, living in Machala (current location) as well as Loja for a while. Two places I have not visited, and have vague information about are Quito and Esmeraldas. Could use some help knowing more about these places? Such as living conditions, job opportunities as an english teacher, culture and art and of that sort? Thanks (:

Alli, the U.S. State Department and the Canadian government -- at its online travel website -- have warned travelers to avoid areas near the Colombia border due to Colombian gangs' narco-trafficking.

This includes the big port city of Esmeraldas, EC (pop. 168K) and Esmeraldas Province.

Canada specifically mentions "drug traffickers" and "criminal organisations." (travel.gc.ca, last updated in March 2014)

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks for the heads up (:

As for Quito, that's a whole other story.

There are many major arts-and-culture institutions here -- Teatro Sucre, Casa de la Cultura and the Guayasamin art museum to name three.

When you're here, check out the famous artista community, Guapalo*, near Hotel Quito, and the weekly Saturday-Sunday "aire-fresco" art show in Parque El Ejido where artists display, sell and answer any questions you have about their work -- or art-related matters.  The art show is at the northeast corner of the parque, across from Casa de la Cultura and the Ecovia bus stop named for the Casa.

Let's talk about teaching English.  Most of the Expats I've met here since 2012 who have told me they're working have been English teachers.  Many are or have been part-time teachers.

There are lots of schools in Quito, including many stand-alone language schools.   YMMV, of course, based on certification, experience, job interview and your willingness to work a split shift.  Don't be surprised to get offered a job that requires you to teach in the a.m. and again that evening.

For the skinny on getting an English-teaching job in Ecuador, where the jobs are, and tips of the trade, there's an article online by English teacher Newly Purnell.  Just google that name along with "transitionsabroad.com" and you'll find much more than I could tell you here.

cccmedia in Quito

* For a re-telling of the night that three Gringas painted Guapalo red, and a photo of one of the girls mesmerising a buttoned-downed Ecuadorian male on the dance floor, google:  "thefrontecuador.wordpress.com guapalo and girl heaven"