Cuba vs. Dominican Republic, etc.

Does anyone here have experience with both? Just wondering how it compares. Obviously Cuba won't allow you to actually earn money there, as opposed to the Dominican where you have more freedom that way. But then Cuba is safer and has a better level of education and different culture.

Do you know of anyone who has taught English or done other work for barter, like in exchange for lodging or something? I've done a bit of ESL teaching professionally in the past, and also in exchange for language lessons in the native tongue.

Hi Mick,

Nice to say hi to fellow Nova Scotian... though I moved to Ontario a year ago, my heart is still in NS...and hopefully will soon be in Cuba. 

To give my opinion to your post..  I have been to both Cuba and DR.... I would choose Cuba for the very reason you gave.. The Cubans are educated and have a pride for country and self, and IMO though you can't work in Cuba it is safer, and kinder place.. My experience in the DR was that of trying to be conned at every turn. People chasing after you to buy... it is a desperate place...

Good luck
Livin