Questions (including dentists)

1) Does anyone have a recommendation for a dentist?

2) In terms of accessibility to natural areas, old architecture (e.g. not totally destroyed by earthquakes and renovations), does anyone have suggestion for smaller towns and cities to visit?

3) I am interested in staying in natural areas that are safe and not overtouristed. Any suggestions?

4) I would like to fly from Bogota to another destination and then make my way back to Bogota by road. Any suggestions on this?

For example, if I flew to Santa Marta, what road could I take back with what stops (e.g. places that are an hour to eight hours apart by bus)?

5) I would be interested in meeting expats or Colombians who are left-of-center and have international interests.

6) I also have considerable graphic design and writing and editing abilities; I would be interested in bartering these for some type of services (such as room and board in a hotel or lodge). I could, for example, edit a website or produce a brochure.

7) If anyone is interested in traveling around the country, I would be interested in companionship with the right person. (I can speak enough Spanish to get around and communicate but I am not fluent.) Please let me know.

8) How bad is armed theft in the daytime hours? At night? What are the safest cities? Any tips on avoiding theft?

9) Does anyone on this list belong to courchsurfing.com?

10) Where is the best place to change US$?

11) Anything important I missed?

12) How widespread is WiFi?

Hi Manatee; IŽm English living in Spain. I stayed with a Colombian Family I met in Spain; who invited me to stay in Puedecuesta Bucaramanga. November - January 2008 I traveled by bus to Santa Marta from Bucaramanga. The journey was approx 7 hours. It was an overnight excursion leaving Bucaramanga 12.00am
or at 01.00 can't give an exact time - sorry. It's very hot there, air con essential! One day it reached 43C. I traveled with my Colombian girlfriend the bus was direct; unless I was asleep if it did stop that is. But I'm sure it didn't!
Because I'm English - I was told not to wander too far from their house as the area wasn't that safe. Only use public transport if accompanied! There have been incidences of taxi drivers being the initiating parties for kidnapping! Be very careful! I'll be going to Bucaramanga on the 7th of September for 2 months, my Spanish is improving but there's along way to go. Best of luck!