Please help me to decide whether to accept job offer or not

Dear Friends,
Please help me to take decision to accept the job offer or not.

I have got 2 yrs. contractual job offer from Malaysian oil & gas company to work at their office in KL at KLCC as Executive. I am an engineer with experience 8.75 years. They have offered me Monthly salary of RM17000 + health insurance. I have to arrange accommodation & daily transportation by myself.

I am from Gujarat province of India. Earning Rs.85000 per month & living in home town. We are husband & wife only and no children. Like to rent full furnished 1 BHK (Bedroom Hall Kitchen) apartment/flat in KL.

1) How is the above salary as per the current cost of living in KL?
2) Which area will be cost effective for me to live considering daily transportation time/cost? How much can be approx. rent for small full furnished flat?
3) How much money can I save monthly after deduction of tax, rent & domestic spending?.

Congrats Vijay..!! You got a very good offer for your experience.. :-) Being Software engineer with that experience I have been offered only 9K RM/p.m..

Rest all your queries, experts will answer you.. :-)

Suggest you look at living in Brickfields, which is the nearest Indian Community to KLCC and on the LRT train line right to the office door.  Housing will be RM2500 upwards as far as you want to go. Check out other postings for COL or look up www.numbeo.com

Congrats!!! Accept With No worries..:)

For a couple no kids with medical this is ok to live on. For oil and gas engineer whether good or not depends on exactly what type. You can save on this if you live a non luxury lifestyle and are a family man. Usually a married man can live off less than a single man if single man parties a lot.

Don't want to upset all those that have taken really low offers - do consider that IT these days pays rubbish salaries that a Malaysian can earn without a degree  - even expat teachers earn 15-30k RM per month (top 5 schools pay 20-30k) and engineers usually earn more than teachers.

Thanks to all my friends jaiganeshe, Gravitas, kkumar.vmware & Nemodot for your kind and quick reply.
You people are contributing your time to a excellent cause without any of your personal interest.

Nemodot: Dear friend, you might be true, but whatever i said in my post is a reality. A teacher earning more then an engineer can be a root cause of sky climbing education expenses. Poor people can not afford good but costly education.

Hi oil and gas engineers get more. What IT people don't want to here is that now it is a "factory job" not a high paid professional job. It used to be and quality of systems and websites these days  are worse than ever. I guess makes business sense why develop a user friendly IT system these says when it doesn't add value.

I met an owner of an "programming factory" here and he was blunt. He is here as cheap IT labour.