Any Advice for Scooter/Motorbike Rental/Buying?

Hey all,
I've just moved to Thao Dien and would love the independence of a motor bike or scooter. If you've got any experience with buying/renting them, I'd appreciate hearing it:-) Recommendations concerning companies to use, etc, also welcome!
Also information about potential theft or other problems likely to faced.
Thanks very much in advance,
Amanda

If you would like to stay here for long, I suggest you can buy a motorbike. It depends on your wealthy ;))) However, the cheapest price I know is 5milVND (~ 300US$) Can see alot on the area near Phu Tho Sporting event Hall :)
Hope this could help

hey amanda, have any luck yet ? i bought my motorbike new about 4 years ago, and it has served me well. i really enjoy riding, there is a new (6 yr. old) coastal hwy,leading to and from nha trang.. thats just the best ride, the hills,turns, an view, unbeatable...i got the best yamaha they had at the time, spent about 1100.00, but thats because i will be here or back an forth here forever...if your like minded, than property is a good thing, if your gonna be here a short time, then renting might be the way to go, i havent done it in awhile, but it is quite simple, most places charged me like 80,000 VND. for the day...about 5 usd. pretty cheap for freedom.  always park in a secure lot when available most places provide this, merkets etc. for a small fee. 2000 VND, .12 us...pretty cheap for safty..if you go somewhere without try to keep the bike in sight if possible, always lock the forks, and take the key. i have never had any trouble, but have heard its common..good luck an have fun. any questions feel free to ask, [email protected] or # 01635937425

i also think u'd wanna buy ur own bike if ur here for over 6 months. it can be got for quite cheap, and its more convenient if u have ur own :)

hi guys i am also looking to buy or rent a bike for my daily use.I will be here for an year.So should I buy or rent?And what  are the places/malls where I can go and get all variety of bikes to chose from?
Also can someone tell me what is the price of one litre of petrol in HCMC?

hello if you are need bike scooter please call me i have got everything new scooter for you

Driving or Motorbiking in Vietnam ---- It's the law

Convert your foreign license to Vietnamese license.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2 … etnam.html

Anyone just arriving look at renting first, that way you get to try a few bikes out before you go and buy a lemon(bad bike).
If you're only here for a year if it was my I'd probably rent, no hassle about maintaining etc. and no problems when you come to leave.
The cost of renting v buying will work out about the same for a reasonable Yamaha Nouvo (Approx 1.2mill per month to rent) or the like. Sure you can buy something for $300 or so bucks, but I can almost guarantee you will need to spend more money on fixing it up.
Don't forget you need a licence, plenty of people dont bother, but before you decide that, check your health insurance. Keep in mind if you are involved in an accident (regardless of who is at fault) as a foreigner you will most likely be held to blame and expected to pay for damages etc.
That said riding in HCMC is no worse than any other major city once you understand the rules ;)

ritesh.govil wrote:

around 21500 per litre, but check the garages for more accurate price.

Why, all of you answering a 2010 thread? :D

charmavietnam wrote:

2010 is old thread. New things happen in Vietnam EVERYDAY including vehicle ownerships, vehicles customising, licensings, insurance(lack of) !!!

laidbackfreak wrote:
ritesh.govil wrote:

No, they've gone up to 22500 VND (a little more than 72 rupees) per liter of 92 RON already. 

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page … march.aspx

So they call the "gas stations" or "fuel stops", garages in the UK?   For Americans (probably also varies in geography) a garage is where you park an automobile next to your house.  It used to be common to call a place to fix your car, a garage but Americans now call them "service stations" or "mechanic shop" more so than "garage" since that word has changed to mean the room in your house that stores your car.

In any event, in Việt Nam, gas stations simply pump gas.  And you also have mechanic shops that just fix motorbikes.  I haven't seen any multi-uses of said fuel stops, like a convenient store + mechanic shop + fuel stops Combos.  Mainly I think because motorbikes just want to rush in, dump fuel in the tank, and rush out.  They don't dare go far from their motorbikes (as in walk into a convenient store to get a bottle of pop).

charmavietnam wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

laidbackfreak wrote:

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

No, they've gone up to 22400 per liter of 92 RON already.

OR, just send a PM to Tran Hung Dao and ask him for a more accurate price. :D

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

hoangkhanh started it, and we bit.

we are doing our bit to update the status...

We need something to keep the Great Warrior Commander in Chief busy.
and those guys in white coats are away on holiday...;)

saigonmonkey wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

Yah, I'm laughing at myself for falling for it.  There's been alot of old posts being dug up by unaware members.  Maybe they're trying to drum up some business but didn't realize they're chasing Elvis after he's left the building.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
saigonmonkey wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Yah, I'm laughing at myself for falling for it.  There's been alot of old posts being dug up by unaware members.  Maybe they're trying to drum up some business but didn't realize they're chasing Elvis after he's left the building.

Elvis not only left the building. He died ... a few yers ago!
Scooter are still coming into Vietnam.
New regulations are being introduced.
But there are people swear to seeing Elvis even till today.

I hope it not off topic, but I read somewhere that unless ur a resident of vn , ur not allowed to drive in vn, regardless if it a car or motorbike, tourist and non residents are not allowed to drive or get a license .. Any comments? :dumbom:

Its illegal to drive a car or motorbike without a Vietnamese driving license which you only obtain when you have a permanent address and a visa (3 months +).. You have to do the written and practice test. However if you have a Foreign Motorbike License you can skip it and convert it into a Vietnamese Driving Licese which expires with your foreign DL.

Jquinoq Here's a thread from last year with some good info:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=312389