Is it a good decision? Need your help

Hello everybody,

I have been visiting the blog for some time now, and I must admit that the info displayed is priceless. I wanna thank you guys for your efforts and I'll try to add my part in keeping this blog relevant.

I have a dilemma. I am Canadian from Arabic roots, having a nice position here, having more than 10 years experience in audit and holding international certifications like ACCA, CGA, etc. For some personal reasons (mostly family), my wife and I have been talking about moving to the Middle-East for some time now, and especially to Riyadh since my father-in-law is doing business there.  I tried to look for some nice jobs in Riyadh from here, but nothing interesting has occurred.  I could not find any offer making sense to me.  Our idea is to go to Riyadh with a work visa from my father-in-law, settle there and look for a job in Riyadh in my field (audit/finance) once there.  I am in a dilemma, I need your help before making any decision:

For you expats, is it easier to get a nice position once in Riyadh,like using employment agencies or other?  Will I have the same benefits an expatriate can have when getting a job from within the country (salary, accommodation, air tickets, insurance, school fees, etc)?  Do you think my profile will be ok to allow me a nice position once there?

Thank you in advance

As long as you are here on a wor visa sponsored legally you have the same status as any othe expat who has come over to live and work here and may choose to seek other openings based on the local job transfer regulatory requirements.

Arabic speaking finance people are very much in demand here in most privates sector corporations and the high end ones do pay good compensation for people with good cademics and experience.

ERP background can be extremely valuable since most privates ector companies are moving in this direction these days.

Good Luck.

Thanks Musicman for your reply. Once in Riyadh, what's the best way to look for job openings? Are employment agencies as effective and important as here in Canada or the US?

The best and surest way is through the grapevine. You have to make contact with people to find out where the real jobs are. Agents and media cannot help much here.

For you expats, is it easier to get a nice position once in Riyadh,like using employment agencies or other?

In a word, yes.  You can see people more easily face to face than on the internet.  Easier to knock on doors, have a personal introduction, etc.

Will I have the same benefits an expatriate can have when getting a job from within the country (salary, accommodation, air tickets, insurance, school fees, etc)?

Yes, but always remember you are CANADIAN.  You are not Arabic.  Always position yourself as Canadian, always sell yourself to employers as Canadian.  Never let them forget you are a Canadian.  Once you do...you are gonna get screwed on those things you would like as an expat.

Do you think my profile will be ok to allow me a nice position once there?

Yes, take the work permit with the father-in-law.  Come, shake some hands, meet some people...you'll do fine.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, these are good news. I think we'll take a chance and hope to find some hands to shake in Riyadh ;) If I do understand, once there, you need to keep your hands busy shaking for almost everything (jobs, accommodation, school...:/). Talking of school, my daughter is 3 now and we're mostly in a French speaking environment. She may start by the kindegarten. I'm thinking about a french school. Heard of Ecole Francaise de Riyadh. Is it a good one? Do they have English in their program (it would be nice ti have both)  Or do I better get something in the American, British or international school or any school you may recommend? I also read in this forum that these schools have some french classes, but I wonder if it's enough.  Some input from Riyadhis to a soon-to-be Riyadhi is always appreciated.

the guys above gave the the best advice I can think of.

welcome to the group. :)

and I think that french school has english classes as well. plus if its the one in "malaz" area in riyadh, its good. i have a friend who has family working there.

Salman

Sure, but from what I understand, If I get a position once in Riyadh, wouldn't it be considered as a local contract, and not an expatriate one?  I don't want to miss the benefits expatriates get. What do you think?

contracts are based on nationality not on the place where the hiring is done..so should be fine, just take the visa and come over..."IF" you really believe that coming to Saudi is the right thing to do for you and your family. There is a huge culture difference between Saudi and Canada so consider everything properly before making the move.

Best of luck

Thanks. Well, we've really thought about it, and I think the risk is worth taking. As I said before, the only worries we have is:
One - If I can get a nice position with respect to my profile once in Riyadh, and how long is it gonna take me to get one, cos I won't be able to live on my savings forever. I was told that I need contacts to get a job out there, and I guess contacts need time to be found. It would be much more convenient if head-hunters exist as in Canada where they really help a lot. I heard employment agencies in Saudi are not effective at all. I don't know if spontaneous applications to major employers can work in Riyadh?
Two - Accommodation, like anybody else
Three - A nice school for my daughter with English, French and Arabic programs.
My wife knows what to expect out there and she's fine with that. I think she's at least as excited as I am, even less worried.

There are plenty of head hunters for KSA based in the UK. You can google them easily.

Risk is a part of life. Without it there will be no spice in living.

Could you tell me some of these agencies?

Dono,
Why don't you have a look at Riyad's jobs section?

Agencies are often industry specific.  You sound like an intelligent guy.  You should be able to find some on the internet.

Sure, but from what I understand, If I get a position once in Riyadh, wouldn't it be considered as a local contract, and not an expatriate one?

Or maybe not...when people refer to a "local" or "expat" contract they are talking about the person being contracted, not the locale in which the contract was drafted.  In that case, they are ALL local contracts.  They are drafted, offered, executed and filed here.

I don't want to miss the benefits expatriates get. What do you think?

I think you...need to do some more research before you commit yourselves to coming here.

What matters most is not the nomenclature but the personal satisfaction of what one seeks in terms of contribution as well as financial and other returns.