Life in Canberra for a university student.

Hi, my name is Valeriya and at the moment I'm living in Dubai, U.A.E. I'm pretty set on moving to Canberra in February 2011 to attend Australian National University however I'm having some doubts. Whenever I tell other people that I'm moving to Canberra, they all tell me that it's a bad choice and that I shouldn't do that to myself. They assure me that Canberra is a boring place for university students. I would like to know from people who actually live there what they think. Personally, I'm not obsessed with partying and I actually enjoy being in peaceful environments, especially if there's a lot of nature, but I will admit that I do enjoy every once in a while to go to a party and dance till morning. I would really appreciate any advice I could get or any general comments that you might have about university students living in Canberra.

Thank you in advance :)

Hi Valeriya, There's plenty of partying in Canberra-- Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights in the City.  And other nights if you know where.  When I came here, I was still university aged, and I was surprised how often the people I worked with (same age) went out and missed work with few consequences, and at the apparent lack of drug testing, even in government jobs.

As Canberra is the capital of Australia, there are Museums and parks to visit, live theatre, marathons/runs, periodic music festivals, concerts and plenty of people to meet.  Canberra is also a 3-hour drive to Sydney by car on the expressway, but there is also a bus and train to Sydney too, so you can visit Sydney on the weekend if you want to get out of town.  I hope this helps!