Seeking info on recruiting agencies & housing for PNU, in KSA.

Hi! I intend to sign an offer through a recruiting agency but am comparing the other offers I've gotten through different agencies for teaching ESL at PNU. Salary aside, I'd appreciate candid and recent information about your experience on the various recruiting agencies, and housing compounds.

I'm one of two single women who, coincidentally, will be leaving Kurdistan, Iraq and arriving to KSA at the same time this August. Because I know the recruiting agency is highly influential on my experience there, I'd like to hear your perspective before I sign an offer!

Thanks in advance! :)

Update: I just found this on a different forum from   Skylaray25 wrote:

"Yes, Auckland and Teach Away recruit only,but you don't work for them. ( You will be a direct hire ).

The other three companies that I've mentioned are recruiters and you work for them as well,so they have contracts with other universities/companies. They place teachers where they are needed. PNU,summer programs, IELTS training etc."

So far, I've been inclined to go with SBC, but this is the information I've been seeking regarding recruiting agencies versus "direct".  I'll check out Auckland and Teach Away.
Any new updates? Suggestions regarding housing compounds? Thanks!

Hello expateacher,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest to put an ad in the section Saudi Arabia jobs >Teaching if you are still looking for a job and an ad in Housing in Saudi Arabia for your search for an accommodation.

Hope you will find what you are looking for!

All the best,
Olivier
Expat.com Team

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for responding. I expect housing to be provided by the recruiting company. One agency actually sent pictures (and a video) so, that was encouraging! My colleague and I are in the final phases of a contract agreement, pending their response to these, and Visa issues.

I simply want to get as informed as possible, as I've heard/seen a variety of "warnings" about both housing and recruiting agencies. So far, of at least four different agencies, we are cautiously optimistic with our interaction through Saudi British Centre, (SBC). I'm curious to hear comments on the experience of others who have dealt/contracted with them.

Thanks again, for your response. I look forward to hearing from additional people to get a variety of perspectives!

Hi,
I'd be very interested in hearing about your experience as I have also been offered contracts by SBC but all the reviews have scared me.

I haven't heard from anyone yet with current and specific information of how to get a direct hire at PNU. This, of course, would be my preference. I wonder if private messages are better. (?)

My current contract here in Kurdistan forbids me from any "public disclosure", during my employment, perhaps it's the same there. Needless to say, many issues I've heard about and experienced here have been discussed in a variety of blogs/forums. Nothing I haven't been able to handle, professionally. Still, getting informed in advance with possible personal contacts is pivotal from my experience. Let's stay in touch!

As far as housing, usually they place teachers with a roomie in an all female compound only. Not much facilities: Pool and and a gym. Really simple.

Hi. I am direct hire and live on campus. The apartments are nice but not much else available. Government property and land so strict restrictions apply.

This academic year the SBC staff have been housed in a western compound (with swimming pool, movie theatre, bowling alley) and the ladies are very very happy.

Hi

I have been offered a job at PNU direct hire.  I am a female coming with my three children.  I wanted to know if I will be housed in PNU compound with my family as the offer states 'shared' housing if available!.  I really want to stay in the PNU compound. 

If there is anyone in my situation or has any input, would be very grateful.

The shared accommodation will be not at PNU campus as far i know . infact it will be approx 15 km from PNU and u will be having one or two rooms.in a shared apartment.

If PNU offered you housing with your family, then you will live on campus. The apartments are nice, but far from everything and everyone. PNU is at the end of the world, basically outside of Riyadh.

TIPS
Get a car or you'll spend thousands on transportation for you and the kids. You can rent for about 2000 SR. You won't get a transportation allowance from PNU if you live on campus, so this will be from your own pocket.
Get a maid. Make sure she's legal. My friends with kids swear by their maids. You'll die without one if you have kids.
Be prepared to take work home.You are expected to do this, hence the maid!
Be prepared to work harder than you ever have in your life!
Try to find a teacher to connect with. Most teachers are very nice.
Try to remain detached from everything that goes on. Practice relaxation strategies now.
Stay away from management and just try to do your job.