Joining my EU soon to be husband

Hello everyone,

I am from Mexico and I will be moving to Malta by the end of this year, after I get married to my partner (in Mexico), he is British and lives in Malta, I have so may questions going in my head as it is a big move! I suppose I should start from the beggining and I hope I am clear in what I ask...
What immigration status will I have after the tourist period end?or better said what type of status do I have to apply for and will it be straight forward?
will I be able to work?
will my marriage certificate be valid or  what I need to do to make it valid in Malta?

Thank you very much in advance  ;)

Hi Gabby,

it is your Brtish husband who will apply for you to become resident as his family member in Malta. As he is living in Malta I presume that he has residency himself and not just an ID card. Otherwise he will have to apply for himself too.!

In the end you will have the same rights as an EU citizen and be allowed to work without a work permit.

Make sure your husband applys for your residency as soon as you arrive. Do not wait 3 months.

You will have to have your marriage certificate and all other documents (birth certificate school certificates and so on) translated and certified in English.

For residency you wiil have to show health insurance or entitlement.

If you follow the procedure it should be straightforward.

Cheers
Ricky

not too sure Gabby but I think it might be benficial to take your documents to the births and deaths etc office to register your wedding in Malta. Worth going there and asking anyway.

Hi chinooks,

registering the marriage in Malta doesn't apply in this case as both are not Maltese! Otherwise every non-Maltese married couple in Malta would have to register their marriage ( and children ?) in Malta  ?

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you so so much all for your replies, very very useful and made me feel less anxious! :shy
I don't think he has residency just yet, just the id card, if so, will that complicate things Rikky? or will it be the same procedure.
On another topic, and I am sorry as because of being new I am not sure if I should open a new thread?
can I get married again in Malta? I mean the plan is marrying in Mexico so my familiy can come and then in Malta so his family can come.
Thank you again for your help and have an awesome day!

Hi Gabby,

your future husband will know if he is officially resident in Malta or one of those elusive many who never applied for residency but applied for and got the old Maltese ID card.

As an EU foreigner it was not correct but didn't really have any consequences. But to have the right to bring his (future) non-EU wife (you) with him he will have to apply for and get residency in Malta himself first. Normally he can do it at the same time, apply for himself and for you , if he is not already resident. Ask him ! Your right to residency in Malta depends on his residency document , not ID card.

A marriage is a marriage! You can't marry a second time unless you get divorced first. But you can go for any kind of symbolic celebration for one of the weddings.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Rikky,
Just a note to say thank you for your help so far, it's been a blessing! we will have a symbolic celebration in Malta as you said, that should be enough for parties!
For now, I will focus on organising myself here and get ready for the move. If more questions arise, believe me I will post them...:)

Cheers!