Who started to say 'lah' in Singapore?

I understand the ubiquitous word "lah" is derived from Malay. Just curious. It becomes a symbol(can I say 'image'?) of Singapore, When ppl imitate Singaporean, they must say that 'lah' word at the end of the sentence.
And those words like 'yah lor', 'ya la', 'meh?', 'wa lao'....etc
That make Singapore a unique place with its own language.:)

Well,

I have been to HK for a long time. Using "..Lah" at the end of the sentence is common. Eg, "No lah"...So when I moved here, did not find any difference apart from people are very friendly and talktive here rather than HK...hmmm...They are all HAPPY TALKING...

- dip

From Malay meh?!?
I heard it comes from a Chinese dialect, possibly Hokkien lah!

It's from Malay lah and we are a multi cultural country and so we speak like this lor.

I love hearing people say it, but I refuse to adopt it!

ablair85 wrote:

I love hearing people say it, but I refuse to adopt it!

Take your time, the night is still young. =)

I think its from hokkien.. Issit very annoying to hear that? Hahaha...

ok i am getting it now. LA :D NO LA. funny an cute at the same time

I stay with a Chinese family with Cantonese roots (HK). They told me that Lah comes from both Hokkien and Cantonese.

But MY and SG both have adopted it from the Chinese who have settled there.

It's very prettily. Litle countres and languages can boast some difference. It's easy remember. I don't know why people say that, and where it's become...may bein Chinese dialect may be not. (Moderated: No free advertising, Please)

it is from the Chinese who brought the language over.
Mostly from the Cantonese family.
Because Malay has a large population of Cantonese.

Therefore HK people use it.
HK is Cantonese dominant.

It is probably why HK, Malay and SG use it.

Cantons immigrated to malaysia, then malaysia spoke it, then SG
in proximity to malaysia also speak it.

Most of the Singlish "suffixes" came from Minnan-speaking immigrants to southeast Asia. Then Malays picked it up and the next is history.

I am from Malaysia and we over there use 'lah' too. It is derived from Malay language. For example. Alahai..sayang :)

I started using lah n my SO hates it >.<

i'm a malay, and lah prolly comes from everywhere it doesn't even matter now who started it! BUT what i do know is that 'lor leh mah meh' comes from the chinese haha! well have fun with singlish people! it's just so addictive no matter how much you might hate it =)