Looking for a place to retire !

Hello!
My Husband and I are looking for a place to retire, We are looking for an area that isn't hot and humid, that doesn't have a zillion mosquitos. We thought perhaps an area away from the beach?? We welcome any advice!

Hi Naturallee,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Belize Forum for better visibility and interaction :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Away from Beach ,small hills on west side of southern High Way,will have a lot of wind . May be ideal place to build if you are looking to escape mosquitos. Almost anywhere there is an obstruction to wind (building  land mass etc) mosquitos try to congregate.
If you have standing water where you live (ponds ,discarded tires etc) mosquitos breed. There are ways to kill mosquito larvae.

Mosquitos are nasty and found in most places of the world. I though Hawaii didn't have mosquitos since I have visited there several times. I then read some history of Hawaii where they discuss how bad the mosquitos were. Where I am from (Mid-Western Canada), all of Belize is hot and humid. These are really relative terms. You will need to come down and test out the areas for your take on that. The further south you go in Belize the wetter it is. We chose Cayo because we wanted enough rain to grown tropical plants, but not so much rain as in the far south. We just lived through record rain fall this past 6 months. Other than the mud, we actually enjoyed the weather. The nights were cool, and the days not as hot as they are now (End of March - dry season).

Hi, Naturallee!  Have you visited Belize yet?  Even though it is a small country, about the size of Illinois, it has a huge variety of environments.  From the flatter north, with plantations and magnificent ruins, to the lush and jungly Maya Mountains filling the central and southern areas, to the beaches running the entire coastline from Mexico to Honduras, to the islands which each have their own personality.  Within each of these areas there are many varied options, for your style of living and preferences in nature and community.  Neighborhood insects will vary accordingly.  Temperatures will vary accordingly as well, although within quite a narrow range.  One could state very generally that the days will be in the low to high 80s F, maybe into the low 90s, and the nights will be middle to low 70s, maybe the high 60s.  Ambient humidity will also vary by region. One is in the tropics, thus there will be a certain amount of heat and humidity, and a welcome and notable lack of any visitation of winter.  We looked around the world before happily settling on Belize.  We purchased our Belize home and acreage  in 2011, with a caretaker who came with the property, and have plans to move in 2015. Belize is not the US or Canada except warmer.  There are some familiar bits and similar bits.  Some things are simpler, some not; some cheaper, some not . . . we have this idea that it is a bit like the US in the 1930s, but with good cellphone service and decent internet service.  The people are warm and polite.  There are lots of expats everywhere, from all over the world.  Take a couple of trips there, get a feel for the abundance available.  You'll know almost immediately if you are going to "go Belizean".  It happened to us, and so many others, and all are happy to say so.