American Stereotypes

Hi everyone,

I have written an article about the most common American Stereotypes and I would love to get your feedback.

Which ones did I get right? Which ones did get wrong? did i miss anything?

Please keep in mind that my knowledge of the topic is merely based on my exposure with American people I have met outside of USA + all the available media such as Movies, Youtube and many articles and Q&A all over the web.

Here is the blog post: humanbreeds.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/the-american-stereotypes/

Thanks, :)

Wow you really do buy into the stereotypes. I don't even know where to comment as so many of the are so far off base & disrespectful to the bulk of the American population.

Are there people who fit these descriptions, yes but to say it is true of all Americans is like saying all Muslims are terrorists (which given I live in Saudi right now I know is soooo not true).

I would suggest before posting a blog like this you actually visit the country you are talking about and tour the whole country not just one part as you will see the country is very diverse and every area has it's ups and downs.

As an American I would like you to think how you would feel if someone never visited your home country, but wrote a blog that offends 95% of your countries population how you would feel.

Thanks for your reply, but you obviously didn't READ my blog. Apparently you just read through the "Titles". The titles are supposed to say what the stereotype is, and through the text, you will get to know that I disagree with many of these stereotypes.

Since apparently you just read titles, here is more for you

"fat but happy!" is a joke, similar to what the sweet lady called me as a kid

Americans are very friendly... is offensive????
describing american football is offensive???
saying that Americans are creative, sexy and love to enjoy their time is offensive???

about the "Americans are stupid?" title, if you read through, you will get to know that I disagree with that stereotype...

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU JUDGE,
thank you

Actually I did read more than just the titles, but I was still offended. Mainly because you made the titles & pictures the focus not your actual content.

Even if you meant to "teach" people that the stereotypes are not a true picture of America you actually are strengthening the stereotypes. Especially since if a person wants to believe the stereotypes no matter what content is added after the title they will never pay attention to what it actually says.

I am also curious why you thought it necessary to blog on this particular topic since you have said you have never been to America. Have you done the same thing with other cultures?

I still do not understand how this blog post is offensive, I really like and respect Americans and there are many positive points in there.

I wrote this blog-post, and other blog-posts about other countries/nationalities because I do enjoy "The Stereotypes" topic and not to strengthen or weaken any of these Stereotypes (which have existed before and will exist long after my blogpost).

:(

i guess the topic isn't popular and I should stop it?

Thanks for your replies and I'm sorry if any of the content was offensive, that wasn't my intention.

The dangerous thing about stereotypes is that there is always a slight trace of truth in them or they'd have never caught on as stereotypes in the first place. While stereotypes may not be intended to be offensive, generally speaking they end up being just that. Not just in the USA, but anywhere in the world.

They are NOT, however, really representative of the whole population. There are stereotypes about people from every nation on the face of the earth and they make sweeping generalizations based on the observation of a very small group.

The expat who is most likely to succeed in any country is the one who goes there without any preconceived notions!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks wjwoodward,

You are absolutely right.

I love the topic and I honestly would love to read any stereotypes about my nation as well. Even though I really like the topic, I do no let stereotypes influence the way I treat or interact with people from different nationalities.

Most Americans think that people who have never visited or only visited briefly in the USA are in no position to have anything to say about stereotypes worth listening to, pro or con.  List that as another of your highly researched stereotypes.

im_in_the_desert wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have written an article about the most common American Stereotypes and I would love to get your feedback.

Please keep in mind that my knowledge of the topic is merely based on my exposure with American people I have met outside of USA + all the available media such as Movies, Youtube and many articles and Q&A all over the web.

Here is the blog post: http://humanbreeds.wordpress.com/2014/0 … ereotypes/

I found the complete article to be laughable and absolute nonsense. It isn't even worth this reply. A YouTube video is not considered suitable material to "stereotype" American's. Further, you should visit several times before you write an offensive article like this. I couldn't even imagine writing an article like this before I moved to Brazil - it's just rude.

mugtech wrote:

Most Americans think that people who have never visited or only visited briefly in the USA are in no position to have anything to say about stereotypes worth listening to, pro or con.  List that as another of your highly researched stereotypes.

The whole point of my article is to list the American Stereotypes from the perspective of a non-American (what people who really haven't visited USA think of USA), for example there is no point of speaking about French Stereotypes from the perspective of a french person living his whole life in France... Another thing is, this is not a documentary...

im_in_the_desert wrote:

The whole point of my article is to list the American Stereotypes from the perspective of a non-American (what people who really haven't visited USA think of USA), for example there is no point of speaking about French Stereotypes from the perspective of a french person living his whole life in France... Another thing is, this is not a documentary...

So the point is to show how stupid foreigners are by believing American stereotypes.  You did not have to tell us it was not a documentary, as everyone on here has already told you that.

usmc_mv wrote:
im_in_the_desert wrote:

Hi everyone,

Here is the blog post: http://humanbreeds.wordpress.com/2014/0 … ereotypes/

I found the complete article to be laughable and absolute nonsense. It isn't even worth this reply. A YouTube video is not considered suitable material to "stereotype" American's. Further, you should visit several times before you write an offensive article like this. I couldn't even imagine writing an article like this before I moved to Brazil - it's just rude.

sigh....

no dude, your message is rude... the blog post is not offensive ....

if you actually read through it, you will get to know that the titles are the Stereotypes but not my own opinion and through out the post I was discussing each of these Stereotypes and proving why these stereotypes are wrong.

Example, the video that you mentioned, I actually stated that this is not a proof that Americans are stupid but on the other hand, the creator of the video is subjective and clearly aimed at showing a bad Image of Americans. In many other sections mentioned that USA has the greatest minds in the world and is the source of creativity and genius.

But meeting people like you... i might be changing my opinion already

Mods, could you please close this topic?

Already requested closure. Thanks.

As long as you include the stereotype that Americans went from nothing to the strongest country in the history of the world by sheer will and hard work and give more foreign aid and military protection than any other country, then it's ok.

I also like the stereotype of Americans as the only human beings to ever set foot on the moon.

And we invented Twinkies.  You're welcome.

Stereotypes and generalization are some of the (stupid) things I've been fighting for 9 years now through Expat.com.

this thread is closed, and should you have more threads ideas like this one, please do not start it here.

Closed