Visitng Cartagena in 4 weeks!!

New to the forum. I am meeting a friend in Carta in a few weeks. Never have been to Colombia before.

Any advise?

Thanks everyone!

Hi David,

At any time of the year make sure you have a hotel with very good A/C as . for me, Cartagena is too bloody hot!!! I haven't been there for a few years but I remember staying in through the day & going out a couple of hours after dark. My daughter just came back & she said it was wonderful (but she did stay in the very best hotel). Interesting city!!

I see on your post that you are living in Bogota. I have been living in Colombia for the last 5 years. I have an apartment in Bogota but as I am retired & have no need for work Bogota is too chaotic for me. I have just finished building a house in La Vega , which is about 70 minutes out of town.

The weather here is just about perfect. Never too hot & never cold. The town is a little disorganised & tatty but that is Colombia. But from the day I first visited I have felt at home here. We managed to find a plot of land in a small condo of 9 plots. We have 2 buyers who are French , 1 german , 1 english & the other Colombians. If you haven't visited La Vega area you should. It's beautiful. The locals still go to town for their supplies or have a beer on their horses.!!!

Keep in touch!

Alan

Thanks Alan for your reply!!

I am a resident of the U.S. and only visting. However, it has crossed my mind to consider moving there at some point.

I am staying at Las Americas Resorts so I hope to God they have air!!!

Since I am a newbie to Colombia, any suggestions as to security etc.

Also, was wondering is it necessary to get the yelow fever vaccine before travelling to Cartagena??

Thanks in advance for your kind response!!

Dave

Hi,

Regarding security. Shouldn't be a problem. Don't carry too much cash. Be careful with cards. I've been done by pickpockets in Bogota. If you carry a wallet in your back pocket have a button so it can't be lifted too easy. Cartagena is probably safer than Washington!!

I had the shots when I went to Cartagena but today I wouldn't bother.

You have a good time!!

Alan

Thanks Alan. I will let you know how it turns out!!

Gracias

David

I hope this is not too late:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/colombia.aspx
While in Cartagena, try to visit the Centro Colombo-Americano for advice.
http://www.facebook.com/?tid=4036650011 … 3339235512
and
Centro
Calle de la Factoria No.36-27
Cartagena, COLOMBIA 2831
Tel: 575 - 6644-887 EXT 102

Just got back, but thanks for the advice. Had a great time but needed to plan more. So much I missed.

Chao

Ciao David,
10-4.
Next time.
Going to Argentina next ?

great idea, perhaps ecuador

Argentines use the Italian "ciao"; in general - people in Ecuador do not.
I misinterpreted your good-bye.
North side or south ?

no prob....im new at this anyway...

be sure to have your sun protection
Very very warm...

On 2010-07-06 23:13:58 Aruba_First wrote:
" North side or south ?"
On 2010-07-07 17:13:45 Davideid replied:
" no prob....im new at this anyway... "
Clarifying;
Davideid,
On which side of the equator in Ecuador will you be living ?
Dave J.

wont be living there, perhaps visiting next year.

10-4,
Don't answer the question.
Good Luck David.

Anyone could tip me about how easy or difficult it could be for an very well spanish speaking french dude to find a job in the restaurant area (waiter/bartender) in Cartagena???? (of course with a tourist visa!)
Thanks !!

Advice: Relax, enjoy yourself, and remember to have some fun!  Colombians, particularly coastellos (people from the coast) are a very relaxed, friendly group of people.. A basic knowledge of spanish, or a willingness to try will go a long, long way.

I recently published a book that may be helpful to you on your journeys..
cartagenasurgery.wordpress.com
It's also available at Amazon.com and your local bookstore.
Amazon.com
While it's written with surgical/ medical tourism in mind, it also has emergency information for anyone traveling, living or working in Cartagena.

If this sounds like something for you - good.. If not, have a great time - relax and enjoy!

Hi, I'm off to Bucaramanga soon, dose anybody know of any recent kidnapings in Colombia of Europeans. My friends think I'm crazy going to Colombia!

I went to Cartagena in June and had NO problems at all, wasn't even scared one bit. You must stay in the cities and not wander off into the country side.

I have a friend who is on El retiro which is not far from there and it is pretty safe.

You should be just fine!

Dave

hello alan, i was reading your message, and was wondering what the name of the place where you were   building your house " la vega". i am from cartagena, but aim living in united states and i have not heard about that place. my husband would like to retire in cartagena, we love the beach, but we are looking for a place with good weather.

liliana