N.I.F. and banking account

Hello!
I am about to move to Lisbon for 5 months. I am Polish (EU citizen). Obviously, I would require a banking account.
I would be grateful for hints on how to open it in a hassle-free way. A few questions in particular:

- do I need a N.I.F. number if I am a non-resident?

- for getting a N.I.F. number, is it enough just to present my passport or ID card?

- are there any further complications for married people? (I am married but my wife would come to Lisbon only next month, so I would have to open the banking account alone)

Would you recommend any particular bank?

Thank you in advance!

I have already sorted it out, so I will describe my experience for future use of anybody.

I applied for the NIF, as it was required anyway to get an internet subscription. Hassle-free, took 10 minutes in the Financas office. Just my ID/passport was required, as I applied for NIF for non-residents (my stay in Portugal is shorter than 6 months). No need for Portuguese address for non-residents, I was registered under my Polish address. A fee of 10,20 EUR was charged.

As regards bank, they needed NIF and a Portuguese adress. I used my contract for rent to prove my address. I opened an account at Millennium BCP. It is supposed to be free of charge for the first 3 months, then it is free of charge if the balance is above 3500 EUR, otherwise the cost is 8 EUR/month. Usually they suggest an initial deposit of 100 EUR upon the opening of the account but it is not a requirement.

Hi meczko,

Glad you sorted it out and thanks for sharing the info ;)

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team