Work Permit and Qualification?

Hi, my name is Caroline Thee and i'm from Shenzen China.
I'm considering to work for a newly setup company in Malaysia where the boss is my boyfriend.
I would like to know what kind of qualification is needed?
And how's the procedure?

Thanks for help!

You would need to be 27 years old and 23 if you are qualified and going to work in IT. You will need a university degree and 2-3 years work experience. These are the standard requirements to get a work permit in Malaysia. Minimum salary you must be offered in the contract of employment is RM5k per month.

Hi Gravitas, I'm older than 27 and has about 7-8 years working experience. I'm currently working as marketing and customer service manager in an IT company in Shenzhen. I completed my degree in a China's university.
I guess I'm qualified?

Thanks for the information.

Yes, you are qualified. if you are appointed as director is better and easier.I can assist in the work permit application

That sounds good. The only other point I forgot to mention is that your bf's company has to have a certain level of paid up capital or authorized capital.  I am not sure of the amount. It could be as low as RM250,000 but it could also be as high as RM400,000 - but I am really not sure.  Hopefully Yusof will be able to confirm the amount required to hire foreign staff.

Paid up capital min RM 350,000 will qualify to apply the work permit.

Yusof - I dont think you are right.  That figure is for a company that is owned 51% by a Malaysian and 49% by a foreigner of which the both parties are Directors. 

For a 100% locally owned company there are completely different rules I believe and it will depend on what type of company the bf owns and how it is incorporated whether he can get an Employment Pass for Theedi.

Theedi, you really do need to get some information by looking on the web and making enquiries with the relevant government bodies.  Also be prepared to pay 20% tax on your salary of minimum RM5k. Another aspect would be if you are anything more than an employee you should make sure the documents state that you have a limited financial liability if something goes wrong with the company or it gets into debt. You don't want to end up being responsible for the financial standing of the company.....

There is some information about the 1st and 2nd stages that need to be completed to hire a foreigner at the immigration departments website:

http://www.imi.gov.my/

Go to the tabs that read:
main-services/expatriate/1st-stage--application-for-a-post
main-services/expatriate//2nd-stage-application-for-employment-pass

Thank you Gravitas and Yusof for the very helpful information.

I am just 26 yrs old and i was offered a job in malaysia. The company said that they are now applying for the work permit. Will there be a problem with my age? My job is not in IT sector. Please advise..

What if im below 27 yrs old and non-IT sector? I am just 26 but i was offered a job in malaysia. The company said that they are now working on the work permit application. Will there be a problem with my age?

Hi April0203,

this is an old thread. For updated info, you should probably create your own topic on the Malaysia forum.

All the best,
Bhavna