Visa, Marriage and Passport

I am a UK citizen and have a Thai girlfriend in Korat. She wants to come to England when it can be arranged and we will get married. I want advice on how to go about this at the present time, May 2010. First, can she come to England on a tourist visa and how difficult are they to obtain in Thailand?  If we get married in England can her tourist visa be extended so she can remain in the UK as my wife?  How long does it normally take for wives to obtain a British passport?  This is my first attempt to find out about what are probably complex rules on this matter and I would be grateful for advice from others who have actually been there and got the tee shirt!

Hi I'm new to this blog but I'm hoping to see some people leave advice for you. I am American and have a British boyfriend. We discussed marriage as a possible way for me to stay in the UK but hate to have to rush into it, feels very unromantic. We're trying to start a tour business in the UK.
I hope you get what you are looking for,
Mary

I realize this post is quite old, but since its been rehashed, here's the info for anyone else who may have the same questions:

In order to obtain a tourist visa, she must prove that she has ties to Thailand and plans to go back to Thailand.  You CANNOT get married on a tourist visa, nor can tourist visas be turned into any other kind of visa.  No matter what, she will have to leave at the end of her allowed time on the tourist visa.

In order to do this legally, your fiance will need to apply for a fiance visa and then marry in the UK or you will need to marry in Thailand (or anywhere else that will allow you to marry) and then apply for a spouse visa for the UK.

Processing times will vary depending on the visa type.

Blog: beyondthequeen.blogspot.com

Hello there,

Well, I have some knowledge about the visas. You said your fiancee is from Thailand, so if she want to get a tourist visa, she will need to show that she has got ties (Relatives) to come back to as a proof that she will not be overstayer in UK.

About expanding the tourist visa, that's impossible. She will need to come to Thailand and Apply for Fiancee visa to get married in UK, The newest news is that she will need to take and pass an english exam, so that you can apply for the visa, without passing the exa;, the visa application will be refused and no refund will be paid. So pay attention and no need to rush into things.

Hope I could help and whish you Good Luck.

You can get married on a Tourist Visa !
Special visitors

If you was married you would be required to apply for a Family visit visa this has the right of appeal a tourist visa does not.

If you want to marry in the UK you require a fiancée visa application once married you apply for FLR in the UK.Further information