Problem with exchanging foreign Driver License into Vietnamese

So i checked up all forums, website etc for the procedure of exchanging my German DL into a Vietnamese one.

According to them I need
- a copy of my passport
- 3 months visa + (i have a 5 years exemption)
- notarized and translated version of my foreign DL
- 5 blue background (3x4) photos
- an application  for VN DL, stamped by company or embassy

All done but when I tried to submit it today at 63 Ly Tu Trong HCMC they requested a HEALTH CHECK and in addition I have to pass the PRACTICAL Test.

Did you have any problems converting yours?

And I you have done the test was it hard? I have a DL for cars and motobikes in Germany but still afraid I wont pass it...

P.S She told me that mine wont expire... Weird

Cheers
Mae

I have no problem with my license since 2008!
Because I don't have one :D
To your post: Yes, you need to show your health certificate and pass the practical test to get your license!

that's odd. I thought if you had a motorbike license you don't need to do a test.

Have you rode a motorbike before? It should be easy. I had to do something similar to a figure eight but lots more curve in Canada with a motorcycle. And at slow speed it takes skills on a motorcycle you have to constantly feather the clutch. But Vietnam the motorbikes won't stall so put it in 3rd or 4th gear. The higher the gear the slower the take off which is great for testing.

It's just twist throttle and control the bike by constantly keeping the wheels moving.

motorbike test

Yes, that sounds very strange.  To convert, not applying for a license, you don't need to perform any of that. 

Are you doing an apple-for-apple conversion (car for car or motorbike for motorbike)? 

Also, did you ask for more than the standard 3 months?

I told her I want to exchange it into a Vietnamese one and that my driver licence allows both. She insisted that I should apply for a normal Vietnamese one which is permanent valid and that I have to do a test. Maybe its easier when you dont speak Vietnamese at all>.<

well a permanent one is not too bad. The test looks pretty easy. The smaller the wheel the more agile the bike. I think scooter would be similar to cheating.

i havent practice yet:(
i use to drive a scooter in europe but it was only straight and some round abouts. im not sure whether i will pass the 8. anybody recommendation how and where to practice.

can i bring my own bike too? cause i can only drive automatic:D

Missmae wrote:

She insisted that I should apply for a normal Vietnamese one which is permanent valid

That's your issue right there, and it's a good one to have.  The straight conversion will only be good for 3 months, per your Immigration stamp.  Thus, you don't need a health check, and no test.

But, the one that she is giving you is better.  You will not need to go renew the darn thing every 3 months.  The health check is pretty easy.  As for the practical test...  Now, that can get a little tricky, depending on how good you are with the motorbike.  But, it will be nothing compared to going through what you are going through right now every 3 months, for however long you want to stay in Vietnam.

So, I highly recommend that you go get your health checked and sharpen up your motorbike skills a little.  They can only help.

practice weaving and going around in small circles. The smaller the better.

I don't believe there is a time limit so take as much time as you like. Nothing wrong with going slow.

khanh44 wrote:

well a permanent one is not too bad. The test looks pretty easy. The smaller the wheel the more agile the bike. I think scooter would be similar to cheating.

You must take the test on motorbikes supplied by the testing facility. They are Honda Waves and Honda Dreams - your choice. You cannot use your own motorbike for the test.

OP: If they are telling you that you must take the motorbike riding test, your foreign license apparently doesn't have a recognizable motorcycle endorsement to do a straight conversion. You will need the health check and riding test to get the motorbike license.

Charmavietnam wrote:

I have no problem with my license since 2008!
Because I don't have one big_smile

You are ALMOST funny!

Hi,

Refer to the following site and you will know whether it is difficult or easy:-

youtube.com/watch?v=3uIV8HAbLNA; youtube.com/watch?v=SpOzAE4tuWo

Good luck to you

missmae wrote:

So i checked up all forums, website etc for the procedure of exchanging my German DL into a Vietnamese one.

According to them I need
- a copy of my passport
- 3 months visa + (i have a 5 years exemption)
- notarized and translated version of my foreign DL
- 5 blue background (3x4) photos
- an application  for VN DL, stamped by company or embassy

All done but when I tried to submit it today at 63 Ly Tu Trong HCMC they requested a HEALTH CHECK and in addition I have to pass the PRACTICAL Test.

Did you have any problems converting yours?

And I you have done the test was it hard? I have a DL for cars and motobikes in Germany but still afraid I wont pass it...

P.S She told me that mine wont expire... Weird

Cheers
Mae

I got my (Ontario) Canadian driver's licence converted to Vietnamese driver's licence in August 2013 without doing any test. However, the Vietnamese driver's license expires in 2017 which matches my Canadian driver's license expiring date. I have both O-to and motorcycle driving privileges.
I can only guess that we Canadians often mistaken as Americans (since we are in the same America continent), we get better treatment. :lol:

Maybe its because I dont have the motobike (A1) on my DL. In Germany we are allowed to drive scooters when we have the DL for cars. Weird law I know. Sigh that suscks

missmae wrote:

Maybe its because I dont have the motobike (A1) on my DL. In Germany we are allowed to drive scooters when we have the DL for cars. Weird law I know. Sigh that suscks

That's the issue there, if it does not mention it on the DL then as far as VN (and pretty much everywhere) you don't have the licence.

Schuck, and I thought I was special!
Actually, I am licensed fully for both motorcycle (M) and O-to (G). Look at the bright side, your driver's licence is for life, no expiry date.

On my DL M (Motocycle) and B (O-to) are licensed. So a normal M license doesnt allow me to drive a motocycle or moped here?

I don't think you need a licence for anything under 50cc.
You may want to convince the translation service that your licence allows you to drive a scooter in Germany. Being able to drive a motorbike in Vietnam is great. But it's not easy since many motorists don't use the signal light and they don't pay attention to your signalling either. I often take taxi or xe-om.

I read some where that if you belong to an MC club that you are Ok`ed for a big bike , is that so?

yep thats right , they are called Gangs [ believe it or not ]