JOBS?

What you must know that jobs are SCARCE not only in SLU but also throughout the insular Caribbean.  This is an area with 3rd world countries passing through the pains of modernization (skilled computer usage and Internet), which is good, yet slowed down by overpopulation, which is bad.

You may bring your skills to the table, but the grounds are shaking, meaning that if you are lucky to get a job, you must save a lot of your money because you do not know when you get sacked in spite of that JOB CONTRACT you signed.

Instead of applying for jobs only with your local employment agency in your country, a good idea is for you to also check with the few employment agencies in SLU, relatively easy to find on the Net.

You may contact the larger local companies in SLU directly after searching and finding them on the Net too.

St. Lucia has 20% unemployment (official & unofficial statistics) for the past 20+ years.

Guadeloupe farther up north for comparison has 40%.

IT jobs, hotel positions and maritime gigs are available on a year-by-year basis to highly qualified and experienced professionals.

===========================

REFLECTIONS

Is it worth looking for jobs in faraway places?
Yes, if you are a highly skilled pro.  the world could be your oyster ... Leave your CV with as many employment agencies at home and abroad as you can.

After you got the job, use the time you are employed to prepare your next move to start your business.  No more job hunting for something which can only lead to more job hunting.

The only salaried job I had in SLU was in 1993 as resident GM to a well rated hotel at that time which I accepted just because I wanted to show hotel life to my native sweetheart: we lived on hotel grounds for 6 months, which was (and is) way better than living and working in town.
For me it was an experiment, not a commitment because I was still running my business.
The hotel is in disrepair now (2013) and the owner is very sick almost to die.  After a few weeks, he made me work a few hours every other Sunday for which he still owes me US$1,500 (in 1993 money) because it was not in our Agreement to work on my rest day.  However he paid me for two persons (me & sweetie) without actually employing the sweetie.  I never told him about that because he was a jerk (someone you don't want to drink beers with), or maybe he did not bother with paying more than my salary, I don't know, but the fact is that I owe him $6,000 for work my sweetie did not do. :)

A hearty advice I give to any job seeker is for him (or her) to stop and think whether a job is really all what he (or she) wants.
Every time someone looks for something he could also think if a higher goal, a better step may be achieved instead.
The job seeker may think about becoming self-employed or an employer to provide a job to someone more desperate than he is.

Time spent on job hunting will be better spent at starting a new business.  The backlash of time foolishly spent is always tragic and painful ...