I need info on retiring in Norway please

Hi there!

I am a 63 year old widow who is a US citizen,with no dependents or obligations to anyone but myself. So far as income is concerned, I have a GUARANTEED income of $4200USD that arrives the 1st of every month into my US bank acct, via direct deposit from the US govt, and from the State of California, and these checks I can count on for my lifetime.

I realize cost of living is high in Norway, but from my personal research, seems I have more than sufficent income I can prove this, to the Norwegian government, so would never be a burden to Norwegian state.

Is it possible for me to get legal residency in Norway as a retireee given my financial state which will not change other than increase slightly over time?

I am someone with advanced degrees (M.A. and M.Phil.) in history from University of California at Los Angeles. Also, I am a certified clinical hypnotherapist.

I have no criminal record.

I plan on learning Norwegian as one of my priorities.

Now I live in Munich and speak German. I have lived in Italy and speak Italian. I am extremely adaptable, I am tolerant, I am someone who is not the 'typical American' that for not such bad reasons has sadly earned the negativity associated with such a moniker. I am half Canadian as my Father was Canadian, and am in the process of gaining my proof of Canadian Citizen Certificate which will allow me to get my Canadian passport within a few months.

Please, if anyone knows, is it possible for someone with adequate financial resources to obtain a residency permit in Norway, ultimately leading to Permanent Residency?

I have checked all over the internet, and have seen many sites for work permits, and family reunited, and for those who are going to marry a Norwegian, but nothing about retiring to Norway.

In Germany this is no problem, in the Czech Republic it is impossible. So since there is a difference between those two countries, so far as gaining residency if one is wishing to live there in retirement, i wish to know whether the law in Norway is as it is in Germany, where I have had no problems ever in securing my two, year long residency permits.

Thanks so much in advance for any and all advice and suggestions.

Hildie

Hello,

It should be possible to live on that income, although after tax it might not give you all that much. I'm not sure about the rules here. By moving here, I think the Norwegian state would be responsible for your health care and for any long-term care which you might require. That might give them a reason to avoid letting retired people settle here. You could have a look at the immigration website www.udi.no or contact the embassy.  However, I know that people from the US can have difficultly getting the right to live here, even when they are highly educated and plan to work. Perhaps someone else on the forum can give you some more information.

Good luck,

David

Sounds impossible...some female Norwegian immigration lawyer wants to charge me a fortune to respresent me but tells me it is 'virtually impossible.' So WTF, WHY would i pay anyone one penny when they want thousands and thousands of bucks in advance yet telling me my chances are less than ZERO?

I really do not understand when third world uneducated people are welcome every day to Norway from everywhre, untrained, will be a burden to the state and their reasons are just to make more money than the country they where they were born.

Nothing so special about me other than i am ALL alone in this world and would never be a burden to Norway or anywhere else and i love Norway and am happy to volunteer at least a day or two a week helping others.

I always all my life have loved Norway. Not i think i never come to this forum. You country has no compassion and sees no value in a highly intelligent woman who has no one in  the whole world loves your country and does not tolerate police states such as the USA and am so enthusiastic and can afford and wish to GIVE FREELY to others there.

So ok...I guess no one wants me. I guess i was wrong about Norway,  I am totally shattered, this is all i have to say. I guess i have been wrong about too many things in my life. This is just too much. Farewell Norway.

:) Hello,

I am from Norway. I also want to retire there. Presently I live near Vancouver, Canada. I am a norwegian citizen.I have a friend in Vancouver who was born and brought up in Norway. He was considering to retire back home. Unfortunately he gave up his citizenship and became a Canadian citizen. Norway at this time does not have a dual citizenship possibility. They have been talking about changing this for years.
Many people who visit this beautiful country want to live there! - but how? . Best thing to do is get a job in Norway of any kind. Visa and then you can apply for a norwegian status.
I am fortunate, if I want to return and either rent or buy because I have my norwegian passport.
Norway is expensive, but the lifestyle and food is worth it. Only thing, if you have been there rains and cooler
in the south coastline in winter and of course if you love skiing plenty of snow in mountains which is what norwegian s do. Very outdoorsy culture. Very healthy.
You can contact NAV. (Norwegian government online). They have articles for English speaking persons.
Hope this helps.
Ellinor

Hi there, sorry about your disappointment about Norway.
Norway has a very different lifestyle than the United States. In Norway they believe in helping the underdog.
If you are rich that is good because they get your taxes. This helps people who need it and also they help others overseas.
I also love Norway. This is my place of birth. I live in Vancouver, Canada at the present time, which is of course also north america.
I am getting tired of the north american lifestyle.
I prefer to live in a country in which they do not depend on the charitable donations of the "rich" - sometimes and often the rich are more interested in helping their own kind! Noticed that?

In order to live in Norway you need to get a job there. Visa. Work or marry a norwegian citizen?

You can call NAV (norwegian government) you can get telephone number online. They speak fluent english.
Ask what your options are.
Good luck and do not lose hope in achieving your dreams.
Ellinor

please be aware that this thread is almost three years old! I'm guessing the original poster decided to pursue another direction by now.

Hi, I only come across this post today, 3.5 years later.
Just like you I'm interested in retiring in Norway, but I am not a young guy anymore.
I am just curious if you have discovered in the last few years an alternative for Norway and wouldn't mind sharing it with the public.  In any case, all the best wherever you are!