Does anyone know about the new motorcycle laws about owning above 175c

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page … utlet.aspx

Read about it in this press release on the new Harley Davidson shop opening up.

yes you should get a license driving of A1 or A2 level,  search for detail ;)

VungTauDon wrote:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/pages/20131203-harley-davidson-opens-first-vietnam-outlet.aspx

Here's a start.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163674
A bit outdated though.

The new Harley shop is good news. Old Uncle Quan needs a new motor to pump water for the rice fields.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=245875&d=1295440017

VungTauDon wrote:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/pages/20131203-harley-davidson-opens-first-vietnam-outlet.aspx

There was another article about a month ago that came out in one of the papers talking about lessening the restrictions on the A2 license.  But so far it only talks about locals and I'm not sure how the new rules affects foreigners though. 

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/busine … bikes.html

I can't find the exact wording on the circular that's mentioned in the newsarticle, but several searches on Circular 38/2013/TT-BTC come up talking about preferential import taxes; so maybe it deals with import taxes on larger than 175cc motorcycles.

http://luatminhkhue.vn/fee-charge/circu … t-btc.aspx

Okay, now I think the newspaper mis-referenced the circular.  38/2013 does not relate to motorcycles and is from the Ministry of Finance, not Ministry of Transport.

Circular No. 38/2013/TT-BTC of April 4, 2013, amending the preferential import duty rate for a number of commodity items of Headings 39.03, 54.02, 59.02 and 72.17 in the Preferential Import Tariff (Summary)

On the Ministry of Transport's website itself, I was able to find a Circular 38/2013 but it reads like a general letter to the Cần Thơ "DMV" for testing of licenses

Sở GTVT Cần Thơ: Triển khai thực hiện Thông tư số 38/2013/TT-BGTVT
13/11/2013 15:10 GMT+7
Sở GTVT Cần Thơ vừa có văn bản gửi Công an thành phố Cần Thơ, Sở Lao động Thương binh và Xã hội Cần Thơ, các cơ sở đào tạo và trung tâm sát hạch lái xe cơ giới đường bộ trên địa bàn thành phố Cần Thơ đề nghị triển khai thực hiện Thông tư số 38/2013/TT-BGTVT ngày 24 tháng 10 năm 2013 của Bộ Giao thông vận tải về Sửa đổi, bổ sung một số điều của Thông tư số 46/2012/TT-BGTVT ngày 01/11/2012 của Bộ trưởng Bộ Giao thông vận tải Quy định về đào tạo, sát hạch, cấp giấy phép lái xe cơ giới đường bộ.

Theo đó, Sở GTVT Cần Thơ đề nghị các sở, ban ngành và các đơn vị căn cứ vào những nội dung tại Thông tư số 38/20-13/TT-BGTVT ngày 24/10/2013 của Bộ Giao thông vận tải có liên quan đến đơn vị mình để tổ chức triển khai thực hiện theo quy định. Đồng thời, các cơ sở đào tạo và trung tâm sát hạch lái xe cơ giới đường bộ trên địa bàn thành phố phải nghiêm túc quán triệt và tổ chức thực hiện đúng theo nội dung Thông tư số 38/2013/TT-BGTVT và báo cáo Sở nếu có vướng mắc trong quá trình triển khai.

To which Google translates to:

Department of Transport has written to send Can Tho City Police , the Department of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs Can Tho , the training facility and driving test center road motor on the city of Can Tho proposed implementation of Circular No. 38/2013/TT-BGTVT October 24, 2013 of the Ministry of transport on amending and supplementing some articles of Circular No. 01 dated 46/2012/TT-BGTVT / 11/2012 of the Minister of Transport regulation on training , examination and licensing of motor road driving .

Accordingly, the Can Tho Department of Transportation proposed the departments and units based on the contents of Circular No. 38/20-13/TT-BGTVT dated 24.10.2013 of the Ministry of Transport has related to their units to organize implemented as prescribed . At the same time , the training facility and driving test center road motor on the city to seriously and thoroughly understand the organization comply with Circular No. 38/2013/TT-BGTVT content and press Department report if any problems arise in the implementation process .

Tiberius Halcyon Dorianus wrote:
VungTauDon wrote:

There was another article about a month ago that came out in one of the papers talking about lessening the restrictions on the A2 license.  But so far it only talks about locals and I'm not sure how the new rules affects foreigners though. 

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/busine … bikes.html

I can't find the exact wording on the circular that's mentioned in the newsarticle, but several searches on Circular 38/2013/TT-BTC come up talking about preferential import taxes; so maybe it deals with import taxes on larger than 175cc motorcycles.

http://luatminhkhue.vn/fee-charge/circu … t-btc.aspx

Okay, now I think the newspaper mis-referenced the circular.  38/2013 does not relate to motorcycles and is from the Ministry of Finance, not Ministry of Transport.

Circular No. 38/2013/TT-BTC of April 4, 2013, amending the preferential import duty rate for a number of commodity items of Headings 39.03, 54.02, 59.02 and 72.17 in the Preferential Import Tariff (Summary)

On the Ministry of Transport's website itself, I was able to find a Circular 38/2013 but it reads like a general letter to the Cần Thơ "DMV" for testing of licenses

Sở GTVT Cần Thơ: Triển khai thực hiện Thông tư số 38/2013/TT-BGTVT
13/11/2013 15:10 GMT+7
Sở GTVT Cần Thơ vừa có văn bản gửi Công an thành phố Cần Thơ, Sở Lao động Thương binh và Xã hội Cần Thơ, các cơ sở đào tạo và trung tâm sát hạch lái xe cơ giới đường bộ trên địa bàn thành phố Cần Thơ đề nghị triển khai thực hiện Thông tư số 38/2013/TT-BGTVT ngày 24 tháng 10 năm 2013 của Bộ Giao thông vận tải về Sửa đổi, bổ sung một số điều của Thông tư số 46/2012/TT-BGTVT ngày 01/11/2012 của Bộ trưởng Bộ Giao thông vận tải Quy định về đào tạo, sát hạch, cấp giấy phép lái xe cơ giới đường bộ.

Theo đó, Sở GTVT Cần Thơ đề nghị các sở, ban ngành và các đơn vị căn cứ vào những nội dung tại Thông tư số 38/20-13/TT-BGTVT ngày 24/10/2013 của Bộ Giao thông vận tải có liên quan đến đơn vị mình để tổ chức triển khai thực hiện theo quy định. Đồng thời, các cơ sở đào tạo và trung tâm sát hạch lái xe cơ giới đường bộ trên địa bàn thành phố phải nghiêm túc quán triệt và tổ chức thực hiện đúng theo nội dung Thông tư số 38/2013/TT-BGTVT và báo cáo Sở nếu có vướng mắc trong quá trình triển khai.

To which Google translates to:

Department of Transport has written to send Can Tho City Police , the Department of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs Can Tho , the training facility and driving test center road motor on the city of Can Tho proposed implementation of Circular No. 38/2013/TT-BGTVT October 24, 2013 of the Ministry of transport on amending and supplementing some articles of Circular No. 01 dated 46/2012/TT-BGTVT / 11/2012 of the Minister of Transport regulation on training , examination and licensing of motor road driving .

Accordingly, the Can Tho Department of Transportation proposed the departments and units based on the contents of Circular No. 38/20-13/TT-BGTVT dated 24.10.2013 of the Ministry of Transport has related to their units to organize implemented as prescribed . At the same time , the training facility and driving test center road motor on the city to seriously and thoroughly understand the organization comply with Circular No. 38/2013/TT-BGTVT content and press Department report if any problems arise in the implementation process .

Hi Tiberius,
you must be new here.Welcome and watch out for the mongols.;)

Okay, finally tracked down a circular from the Ministry of Transport (the red tape maze is just horrendous).

http://thuvienphapluat.vn/archive/Thong … 10988.aspx

Số: 38/2013/TT-BGTVT essentially reads about amendments to the training and qualifications for issuing licenses.  These gets sent to all the Provinces (like the Federal edict to Provincial DMVs on how to train and issue driver's licenses).

Google translate didn't pick up on anything in regards to the A2 license.  So I'm at a loss as to where to find helpful information for foreigners wishing to get the A2 license.

Maybe someone else who can read Vietnamese can have a try.

I'm waiting for the law supposed-to-be-applied from March or April, 2014. It is said that people from that date can freely obtain A2 license without going through the hassle like now.

We'll see!

that's big news if anyone is allowed to ride greater than 175cc on a regular motorcycle license. Great for the long road trips.

Ngan Khanh wrote:

I'm waiting for the law supposed-to-be-applied from March or April, 2014. It is said that people from that date can freely obtain A2 license without going through the hassle like now.

We'll see!

I think I remember reading about some sort of proposal or bill going through that talked about the A2 going into effect next year.  But I don't remember the newspaper article; Do you remember what it's called?

Tiberius Halcyon Dorianus wrote:

I think I remember reading about some sort of proposal or bill going through that talked about the A2 going into effect next year.  But I don't remember the newspaper article; Do you remember what it's called?

In Vietnamese:

http://vnexpress.net/tin-tuc/oto-xe-may … 03428.html

In sort-of-English:

http://news.dbv.vn/no-restrictions-are- … 59016.html

Haha, this helps.  Thank you Ngan Khanh.  The English site wasn't that helpful so I've patched together what google translated into English (and edited by me a little bit to make it readable) from the Vietnamese website to read...

Easing Restriction on Granting A2 License

Ministry of Transport issued Circular No. 38/2013 abolished restrictions in A2 level subjects for the control of two-wheeled motorcycles engine capacity above 175cc.

Reply Vnexpress, Nguyen Van Quyen, Deputy General Director of Vietnam Road Administration said that from 01.03.2014 all people will be involved in driving A2 level exam for the license as A1, B1, B2 ... with procedures and regulations similar.

Circular 38/2013/TT-GTVT by the Minister of Transport signed the regulations on training, testing and licensing drivers. In which point noteworthy is removed Clause 3, Article 8 of Circular 46/2012 of the Ministry of Transport of the licensees regulations and enforcement A2 driving license, official effect from 01.03.2014 .

Accordingly, in Circular 46/2012 provides that the A2 level subject to the limitations of government including police, military, traffic inspection, market management, forest protection, testers, which encourage motorcycle. So quit with the provisions of this clause, the player will have motorcycle license conditions take A2 as other types of driver's licenses.

A few years back movement played a large motorcycle fast growing demand for property caused by A2 urgent than ever. Players are eligible car shopping car but were not allowed to run . The number of large business houses as well as distributors import more genuine , but also problems in the mechanism causing these businesses know just " sit and wait " policy .

Anh Manh Dung , car dealers , large displacement import said after years of information on the level of A2 , visitors to the store also increased rapidly , evident eagerness to pay more attention to vehicles over 250cc .

" KTM , Ducati , Benelli and upcoming Harley - Davidson , Triumph genuine giggle distributor in Vietnam , a lot of cars like this without the need for any other A2 exam without question ," he said Dung .

For the players, this is good news identifiable history . Owns Yamaha YZF - R6 , Organic Vietnamese cheerfully : " So next year you and your friends comfortable sention go anywhere without his own trap and then submit ."

Since joining the WTO , Vietnam officially import of large motorcycles and is now open A2 license test , whereby car enthusiasts in Vietnam had the opportunity to express relaxed but passionate not only to get the car to run around in circles and then " watch " as before .

VungTauDon wrote:

Here's your answer VungTauDon:

Based on Ngan Khanh's latest find, I have concluded that:

The newspaper article you found talking about the Harley Davidson shop opening is pure marketing ploy to get YOU to go into the shop and buy a HOG. 

You can definitely OWN a motorcyle...however, the licensing of it to the general public won't be available until, per VNExpress source, March 1, 2014.  Currently, you can test for an A2 license if you work in the government fields, such as police, military, traffic inspection, market management, forest protection, and motorcycle testers (jobs that typical foreigners probably can't get).

This is verified by my finding several Ministry of Transportations' edicts/guidelines to various Province's "DMV"s to prepare for testing of A2 licenses.  It looks like they have until March 1, 2014 to figure out a new test course for bigger bikes in the A2 class.  You probably can't test for A2 licenses using the little "figure 8 test track" that is currently used to test smaller motorbikes in the A1 license class. 

http://thibanglaixevn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Thi-bang-lai-xe-hang-A1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NYco1GHx7Xk/T0wVv0LfRgI/AAAAAAAAA0Y/__2aWrarhrc/s640/Sahinh_Xemay.jpg
So I would expect that sometimes after March 1, 2014, you can go to the Provincial "DMV" (place that administers testing of driver licenses) and upgrade your A1 to an A2 by testing on a whole new different test track designed for larger motorcycles.  Maybe it'll just be a larger radius figure 8 track.

I know the Ducati shop in Dist 1 but whos been selling the Harleys that are already there???

mark stutley wrote:

I know the Ducati shop in Dist 1 but whos been selling the Harleys that are already there???

Harley Davidson is opening a shop in Phu My Hung, District 7 soon. It's next to the shopping plaza in front of FV Hospital, on Nguyen Van Linh highway.

So, they probably hung the boy...  Poor thing! 

But, to get back on topic, no one knows about these A-2 licenses more than the salespeople at Harley.  If you are going to get one, just make the license one of your conditions, and you will be good to go.

In my opinion, someone, somewhere, gave some people an offer that they could not refuse.  So, accordingly, the law was changed to accommodate these motorcycle giants.  Thus, they would be the ones to turn to.

But $16,000 for a Sportster?  That is still very high.  Well, they better get the license taken care of. 

How do you motorcycle enthusiasts think the Harleys and their air-cooled engines will fare here? 

The Softail Deuce (Screaming Eagle) was my motorcycle of choice.  However, in the Vietnamese heat and slow traffic, I think the Honda Fury would do a lot better.  Right?

bigger question is why would you want to ride a Harley in Vietnam.

khanh44 wrote:

Why would you want to ride an HD anywhere, ah that's right,so people like me can have fun blowing them off at the lights, on my economical, quiet and reliable Jap crap,  also provide entertainment laughing at them while they are broken down on the side of the road.
  But they get their revenge, by waking up everyone at ungodly hours,  I could never understand how they get away with it, every other motor vehicle is subject to noise restraints, I heard it was some crap about originality??? Only good thing about the rain, is it keeps must of them off the roads.
  But the sheila's love them, you can't beat a mobile vibrator.

Hi all,

Some off topic posts have been moved to keep this thread going smooth and relevant. As it might help other members.

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Wild_1 wrote:

So, they probably hung the boy...  Poor thing! 

But, to get back on topic, no one knows about these A-2 licenses more than the salespeople at Harley.  If you are going to get one, just make the license one of your conditions, and you will be good to go.

In my opinion, someone, somewhere, gave some people an offer that they could not refuse.  So, accordingly, the law was changed to accommodate these motorcycle giants.  Thus, they would be the ones to turn to.

But $16,000 for a Sportster?  That is still very high.  Well, they better get the license taken care of. 

How do you motorcycle enthusiasts think the Harleys and their air-cooled engines will fare here? 

The Softail Deuce (Screaming Eagle) was my motorcycle of choice.  However, in the Vietnamese heat and slow traffic, I think the Honda Fury would do a lot better.  Right?

Here you go 'Wild_1' :D

2014 model H-D's - 750cc & I'm pretty sure large engine capacity beasts as well.  Saw a photo of a full sized liquid cooled 1240cc fully decked out tourer on-line somewhere a few days ago.

Can you imagine even trying to get through the whole practical riding tests, figure 8's, weaving between cones, etc. on a bl**dy great big heavy liquid cooled H-D V-twin tourer ? :P:lol:

Someone PLEASE post videos of those attempting this feat ! :rolleyes:

For the while, just wait and see how the final licensing rules are changed and how they are interpreted on the roads by the Cong An, especially for Expats riding them.
(how much will the 'beer fine' be if you're riding a US$30,000 H-D ? :lol:)

khanh44 wrote:

ERRRR ?????  Been drinking too much, too long and have totally fried all the logic centers your brain ? :lol:

Check out this obstacle course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iq2ExxmNc

VungTauDon wrote:

Check out this obstacle course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iq2ExxmNc

Don - somehow I don't think that guy is what you'd classify as your 'average' motorcycle rider !  :cool:

No, but I have seen women driving through crowded markets show some skills.

Hi Am new in HCMC. I would like to take a motorbike licence at Saigon. But i dont understand any Vietnam language. I heard must sit for the test which is in Vietnam words. Do they have English Translated from Vietnam? Or have to pay a bit of coffee money to pass the test??Can anyone pls advise me on this?

I dunno if it helps but my company made my French driving license translated (I got A and B licenses) in order to get the VN and I got a limitation to 175cc :(
New licenses don't have the table on the back with A1/A2 just some comments.
Anyway I guess it'll be difficult for foreigners to drive legally bigger rides... I wanted to get a 'small' 390 from KTM I'm afraid I'll have to forget :/

Julien.lis wrote:

I dunno if it helps but my company made my French driving license translated (I got A and B licenses) in order to get the VN and I got a limitation to 175cc :(
New licenses don't have the table on the back with A1/A2 just some comments.
Anyway I guess it'll be difficult for foreigners to drive legally bigger rides... I wanted to get a 'small' 390 from KTM I'm afraid I'll have to forget :/

Not difficult at all to get A2 now...

Yep I confirm as I've it now ;) and legally... And my 390 runs like a charme :D

Julien.lis wrote:

Would you like to fill us in on how you did it, or are you just content to brag?  ;)

DanFromSF wrote:
Julien.lis wrote:

Would you like to fill us in on how you did it, or are you just content to brag?  ;)

I explained how I did it on the other posting about a bike trip thru SEA.

Big-Tex wrote:
DanFromSF wrote:
Julien.lis wrote:

Good answer Julien,( or are you also Big Tex? ),  no way would we put up with any REPETITION on this site???? ( only with threads ).

bluenz wrote:
Big-Tex wrote:
DanFromSF wrote:

Good answer Julien,( or are you also Big Tex? ),  no way would we put up with any REPETITION on this site???? ( only with threads ).

Sorry to disappoint...no guys from Tx are named "Julian"

Big-Tex wrote:
bluenz wrote:
Big-Tex wrote:

Sorry to disappoint...no guys from Tx are named "Julian"

No disapointment, just confusion, Dan was asking Julien how he did it?, ( well, that's how I read it??? ) But 2 positive answers are better than one? Now only have to wait for Julien to reply , and go looking for your SE Asia post?

I juste read you messages and the post from Big-Tex to the other tread.

In my experience in D3 Dpt of transport and as I explained above even with the equivalent of A2 in my home country they only gave the A1 license here.
To get the A2 they told me that I needed to own a bike above 175cc registered with my name and then I could have the A2 without anymore complication..
That's what I did and it worked. (Just had to fill the same form, give the same documents and pay 135'000 again but who care of that!)

The hardest part is to get the bike registration on your name..
I bought it brand new and the seller subcontracted with an advisor to make the papers.
For that you need to have a resident card, work contract, work permit and even a letter from your company allowing you to own a bike..
Then you have to go to the police dpt of the province where you company is registered with the bike... There you have to fill some forms, they check everything (including serial number of the bike..) If all is clear they send your file to Hanoi to issue a special registration for foreigners... One week later you have to go back to get your plate (with NN on it) and the registration card..
I thing it's bit stupide to have to buy a bike before you get your license but impossible to do otherwise according to the guy in the dpt of transport...
For all of this paperwork I highly recommend to get help from a Vietnamese..
I hope this help

Julien

Julie.lis wrote:

I juste read you messages and the post from Big-Tex to the other tread.

In my experience in D3 Dpt of transport and as I explained above even with the equivalent of A2 in my home country they only gave the A1 license here.(because I am a dill-weed and cant pull my head out my arse)
To get the A2 they told me that I needed to own a bike above 175cc registered with my name and then I could have the A2 without anymore complication..(I am only saying this because it is what I have heard and I really know fuckall)
That's what I did and it worked. (Just had to fill the same form, give the same documents and pay 135'000 again but who care of that!)(which is a complete lie, because I don't know what I am talking about)

The hardest part is to get the bike registration on your name..
I bought it brand new and the seller subcontracted with an advisor to make the papers.(HUH??)
For that you need to have a resident card, work contract, work permit and even a letter from your company allowing you to own a bike.. (Nope, can still put a car under yours and wifes name, even without resident car or work permit)
Then you have to go to the police dpt of the province where you company is registered with the bike... There you have to fill some forms, they check everything (including serial number of the bike..) If all is clear they send your file to Hanoi to issue a special registration for foreigners... One week later you have to go back to get your plate (with NN on it) and the registration card..
I thing it's bit stupide to have to buy a bike before you get your license but impossible to do otherwise according to the guy in the dpt of transport...(full of shit)
For all of this paperwork I highly recommend to get help from a Vietnamese..(only thing you need help from local is maybe getting the translation done correctly)
I hope this help

Julie

Just so you know Julie....You don't have to own a big bike to get a big bike license.....here is proof

Just look at my avatar...

I just wrote what I've been told face to face by the man in charge at the Dpt of transport in D3.. (With a Vietnamese translator) and my full story. I though it could be interesting for people wanting to own a bike in there name.

If you have been somewhere else, the person in charge applied the law differently... That's the way it seems to be in Vietnam..
Especially this law is new (only few month) so even the cops and other administrations are not aware of it. Before that you needed to be part of the police/army or member of a motorcycle club.. Now it's more open and the market will rise so the laws will be known..

After I don't know if you've lucky or me unlucky but honestly I don't care ;) I got the A2 and the bike I wanted so I'm fine.

And my name is Julien.. ;)