Few Questions - couldn't get a clearer picture anywhere else

Hi guys,

I have been following this forum for a while & its been gr8 throughout for someone like me who will be arriving in Riyadh along with my wife next month from Europe on a Team Leading IT role for a reputed company.

I do have a couple of questions for our friends on this forum:
1) I have 70,000 SR yearly for housing. Is 4000SR enough for a good 2br aprt in a good Riyadh location???
I do have some relocation allowance on top for buying out the furniture n stuff.

2) How are the holidays requested in KSA, is it flexible...I mean here in Europe we just decide ourselves that we need holidays on so n so days and we get them automatically...is that the same or do we need special permissions or whatever from the management for the same???

3) What is the level of professionalism (in-terms of how things get done, giving out benefits in time, working hours etc etc) in some of the reputed companies in Riyadh? Are they all the same or do they differ?

Thanks in advance for answering the above questions!!!

Hi Sap,I hope that your move goes well and we get to meet you.
To answer your queries:-
1, When I was looking for a place I looked up the classifieds and Goggled, houses for rent in Riyadh.
2, With my company I have to take into consideration the rest of the people in my section so that there are not too many off at the same time. Other than that no problem.
3, It all depends on the individual company as far as benefits,Some are cheapskates others more generous. And who knows about any other company than the one that they work for?

Honest answers - but probably not much help.

OZ_Sap

Welcome to the Forum!  We look forward to your contributions here on the site and meeting you and your spouse when you arrive!

Not to be nosy, but if your bringing your wife with you, why an apartment?  She may have a difficult time meeting people, making some friends and getting around.  This is not a good place to be without friends!

Thanks Jillndave & CAF for the answers & the warm welcome...
Though my initial question still remains that, is 4000SR enough for a good 2br unfurnished apt in Riyadh?

Hi guys,

I have been following this forum for a while & its been gr8 throughout for someone like me who will be arriving in Riyadh along with my wife next month from Europe (Indian national) on a Team Leading IT role for a reputed company.

Hi Oz, and welcome to Saudi Arabia.
and wishing you the best on your new role.

I do have a couple of questions for our friends on this forum:
1) I have 70,000 SR yearly for compound housing BUT I would rather rent a decent 2-bedroom apartment in a good location; Is 4000SR enough for a good 2br aprt in Riyadh???
I do have relocation allowance on top for buying out the furniture n stuff.

if your company will allow you a 70K HRA/year you can easly rent a very spacious villa with that amount. but if you insisst on a 2BR aprt, you can easly get it covered for 4K/month, and getting your own furniture would save you the hassle of looking for a decent furinished aprtmt. just a personal opinion. others with difrent experiences might think other wise.

2) How are the holidays requested in KSA, is it flexible...I mean here in Europe we just decide ourselves that we need holidays on so n so days and we get them automatically...is that the same or do we need special permissions or whatever from the management for the same???

I think in general it should be the same, but needs approval from your direct manager nonthe less. usually you shouldnt have a problem with that though. but in the end it depends on your employer, and how professional the organization is. there are the public holidays which are usualy fixed for every one. and then there is your leave balance (usually 30 days/year) which you can take whenever you feel like it.

3) What is the level of professionalism (in-terms of how things get done, giving out benefits in time, working hours etc etc) in some of the reputed companies in Riyadh? Are they all the same or do they differ?

they differ, depending on the organization itself. on the other hand goverment related paper work tend to take some time. but that can even take more than it should if the companys followup is bad. :/

Thanks in advance for answering the above questions!!!

Your welcome

Salman

Thanks a tonne Salman for a step-by-step breakdown of my questions and then for answering them in gr8 detail, truly appreciated!

Also, any idea on how difficult/easy it is to find a good apartment in a good Riyadh location...I know its very difficult to find compounds in quick time, is it the same for apartments...are they also booked months in advance (supply vs demand problem)!?:rolleyes:

youre very welcome :)

it's quite easy, but sometimes it can take time when people look for specific criteria and location. but I dont think youll find waiting lists or the sort. you find vacancy and you rent. as simple as that.

Hello again guys,

Is SAR 3,500-4,000 enough to lease a good (preferably a BMW) car with help from my company in Riyadh?

A month maybe!  :D

Oz_Sap wrote:

Hello again guys,

Is SAR 3,500-4,000 enough to lease a good (preferably a BMW) car with help from my company in Riyadh?

for a month?? thats too low for a BMW

Sorry guyz, it was supposed to be SR 4,000 per month...is it good enough to get a good car here in KSA???

u can get any car u want on rent...i dont have any idea abt leasing thing...but i heard abt it...
for rent u can get any car...be it BMW, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, watever

Oz_Sap wrote:

Sorry guyz, it was supposed to be SR 4,000 per month...is it good enough to get a good car here in KSA???

Well it depends on what is your definition of a "Good Car". If you are fine with a Hyundai, then I am sure it can fit in your budget. But if its more upscale like a BMW or Land Cruiser, don't think thats even possible.

My advise of getting a car here is to try to have a Japanese car..

the maintenance is better than any other.. Specially toyota

Also put in consideration that if you want to sell your car, Japanese car will give you a good price..

mirfarali wrote:
Oz_Sap wrote:

Well it depends on what is your definition of a "Good Car". If you are fine with a Hyundai, then I am sure it can fit in your budget. But if its more upscale like a BMW or Land Cruiser, don't think thats even possible.

Are you kidding me? SAR 4,000 per month just to lease a Hyundai,
especially through company assistance?

Anybody else, any idea on this plz!?

Oz_Sap wrote:
mirfarali wrote:
Oz_Sap wrote:

Are you kidding me? SAR 4,000 per month just to lease a Hyundai,
especially through company assistance?

Anybody else, any idea on this plz!?

No that's not true ,, 4000 per month for Hyunday,, no way..
it ranges from 1500 to 2500 SR.

yups...hyundai is surely lessar than 2000...and thru comapany's assistance, more less

Guys...I did not mean to say that you will get a Hyundai for 4000..I meant in his budget, it will fit in easily. But he needs to first decide what is a "Good Car" for him.

You're talking 1,000 USD!  You should be able to get a good car on that amount of money.  Doubt that a Beemer or a Benz will go for that price, but a reasonable set of wheels.

If your company can find you a compound spot in Riyadh in that budget I'd be incredibly surprised.  Compound housing here is in very short supply & very expensive now.

If your living off compound and your wife is coming with you, you will definitely need a full time driver as otherwise she will have no way of getting around.  Riyadh is a large sprawling city, with no public transport and not at all pedestrian friendly.

I beg to differ with you, Alethe, You do not actually have to have a full time driver for the wife. There are many drivers around who do freelance driving work. I am sure some families know of such people here.

True as they don't have children there are no daily school pickups & drop offs to worry about. 

However I'd still say having a reliable driver who you can access when you want is an extremely high priority for any woman living outside compound.

oh dear, when you are here, rent an average car for a month.. and then buy a second hand honda accord or nissan maxima, in about 30000 ryals, used cars are a good deal in saudi arab...an year's rent shall enable you to be owner of a good used car..