Is My Visa Valid???

This is the second time this year that I am not 100% sure about the validity of my visa.  Can I scan and send it to anyone who understands the Brazilian visa well?

Before I left SP this summer I asked immigration if my visa was still valid for another trip and they said yes (for the amount of days that remained on the visa since I had used some days during my stay).

After such a traumatic experience getting there this summer I can't afford to do the same thing going there for xmas/nye.

Thanks!

Hi doscaminos,

A Brazilian VITUR Tourist Visa (for Canadians) is valid for a period of 5 years from the date of issue which is shown on the right hand side of the document directly under the Visa Number. It should state on the left side of that same line MULTIPLAS (multiple entry). There is NEVER an expiry date shown on a VITUR visa.

The line which say VALIDADE on bottom of visas should not be confused with expiration, in truth it simply refers to the duration of any individual (unextended) stay.

Newer visas have eliminated this confusion by actually re-wording the upper portion of the document to PRAZO DE ESTADA / DURATION OF STAY.

What really determines your visa's validity for any particular visit is the number of days (including arrival and departure) that you have already been in Brazil in the 365 days previous to your current arrival. You are only permitted to be in the country for 180 days in any "rolling" one year time block.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

ANY FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE POST ON THE BRAZIL FORUM DIRECTLY. YOU SHOULD ALSO VISIT THE FORUM FOR MUCH NEEDED INFORMATION ANYWAY.

If a government employee who works at the visa office put it in your passport and it hasn't expired, it's probably valid.

Hailey, that's a valid comment...........

It wasn't at a visa office.  This was at the exit immigration counter in SP.  So yes it was an immigration officer I spoke with but not one from a visa office.

I am familiar with the VITUR visa because I've held one before but the current one I have right now is a VITUR-TE...it was issued specifically for the confederations cup however it is a multiple entry visa, I still have days left on it, and it does not indicate any restrictions on my returning to the country even though the confederations cup has passed. ....thoughtS?

It says in your Passport how long you can stay and when it expires.

If your already in Brazil and it expires they will fine you at the airport.

Not to worry if you are leaving Brazil.

It will be difficult to buy a plane ticket to Brazil with out a valid Visa and take 30 days to get another.
If you make it to Brazil with an expired visa you will be refused entry.

Ken

Hi Cda/Brazil,

Actually it doesn't necessarily say when the visa expires (I have had 4 visa's to Brazil before-all different looking).  I am aware of the fines etc. and they usually fine you on your way back in to the country if you over stay a visa (never happened to me before but to friends, yes).

Also it has never been difficult to buy a plane ticket without a visa to Brazil.  It's really anyone traveling to that country's responsibility to ensure they get a visa prior to the trip.  Airlines will still sell you a ticket with or without one (speaking from 3 different experiences of my own). 

Lastly...I ended up applying for a new visa anyway because the VITUR-TE issued for the confederations cup is not good for another trip to Brazil (yes, even though I still had days on it and it was multiple entry-the consulate in Toronto said I needed a new one to re-enter).  So anyway I applied and it took them 5 business days to authorize it.  Obviously I may have been lucky so it would be prudent to apply way in advance if you know you plan to head there.

I see you are in Calgary so we use the Vancouver Consulate as that is for both our jurisdictions.

Hello doscaminos,

Actually I've never dealt with anyone before who held a VITUR-TE (Temporário Especial) Visa. Were you a participant in the Confederations Cup?

I presume the TE is used in order to permit paid work (i.e. playing in a professional sporting event).

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

Hi William!

Actually the VITUR-TE is for special events such as the Confed. Cup and World Cup (and almost certainly-Olympics). I had tickets to some games for the Confed. Cup (which is how I got the visa in literally the same day I was traveling). The visa is free but as I have recently found out from the Consulate General in Toronto, it is ONLY good for the event. As soon as u leave Brazil and the event is over, u may not return on that visa regardless of any time left on it. Luckily I won't have that cross to bear again since I don't need the TE for the World Cup as I have a regular vitur now. I would advise anyone still in the ticketing queue to apply for a regular visa rather than the TE because u are required to submit proof of
Tickets from FIFA (as I did for the FIFA confederations cup).

Additionally the TE prohibits work or study and is NOT extendable as the regular vitur is. It's really I one trick pony and in my opinion an emergency visa (because in my case it saved me from potential deportation).

Thanks for the information about the VITUR-TE. I guess it is something that is rarely used, since this is the first time I have even heard of it. Sounds like it could be a life saver for someone who had purchased tickets for some international event, but never even thought about visa requirements until the very last moment. Otherwise it sure doesn't sound like anything worth having. For example in Canada it's so quick easy to get a regular VITUR it would hardly be worth the effort to apply for a TE.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team