The Dangers of Chestnuts!

I have a huge collection of horse chestnuts in a bowl and I am trying to decide what to do with them.  Does anyone know the rules to a game of conkers? :D

Meanwhile, every time that I try to walk down the street, if the wind picks up, little chestnut dive bombers fall on me and the immediate area.  It is great to hear them hit the corrugated roof on one of the sheds nearby.  Not so great when they fall on me. 

It did make me wonder if there is a good Arboretum in the area.

assuming you know how to put them on to a string..lol

we toss a coin for who goes first and then the winner gets first hit. you hang your conker by the string and the winner gets to try hit it...if they do then they get another shot if they miss its your go...... the winner is the one with the most conker left on their string ...lol great fun but can hurt.. enjoy

missustoad wrote:

I have a huge collection of horse chestnuts in a bowl and I am trying to decide what to do with them.  Does anyone know the rules to a game of conkers? :...make me wonder if there is a good Arboretum in the area.

There are some national gardens out towards Szekesfehervar but it costs money to get in. Not entirely worth it.

Regarding your conkers, I'm really surprised. I thought this was a British only game unknown elsewhere. Obviously horse chestnuts are poisonous so you cannot eat them. 

To play conquers is really easy, simply drill a hole in them, put bit of string through, then try and smash your opponent's conker, by whacking it holding the string.  Trickery like baking them to harden them or soaking them in vinegar does not always work!

missustoad wrote:

if there is a good Arboretum in the area.

Not sure what is your area, but there are Arboretums all over Hungary. A list of towns or cities with Arboretums:

http://abouthungary.net/arboretums-in-hungary/

Lesley&Yan wrote:

. the winner is the one with the most conker left on their string ...lol great fun but can hurt.. enjoy

I thought the winner as was one causing total destruction. And there's the pride/kudos in having a veteran conker - a one'r, a two'r etc.

In the UK now, I think they make the kids wear gloves and eye protection.....what is the world coming to! Bonkers conkers.

klsallee wrote:
missustoad wrote:

if there is a good Arboretum in the area.

Not sure what is your area, but there are Arboretums all over Hungary. A list of towns or cities with Arboretums:

http://abouthungary.net/arboretums-in-hungary/

Never seen the one in Budakeszi and I live here unless they mean the Vadaspark (wildlife park) or Parkerdo (forestry company).

The one that charges money I've been to is: Martonvásár. You cannot take  kids bikes or sit on toys inside so it's not a normal park as such more like a museum. Not that much fun. There's a lake but I've been there twice and it's been an empty mudhole both times.

Pictures here: Martovasar