Your thoughts, new or used motorbike?

Greetings,
Been here a year and am tired of renting a motorbike.  I am a big guy, weigh 115 kilos. Which would be the right bike for me.  In America, big twin harleys were my thing.  Here I am thinking of a 150 or 125cc.  Any suggestions on make, model and new or used would be welcome.  Thanks...

Off topic, what were you paying for rent on the motor bike and what brand and ccs was it? Thanks

2013 exciter yamaha

In Thailand 150 baht per day, cheeper by the month.  In Vietnam 100,000 to 200000 dong per day depending on location and type of bike.  Generally if by the month in both countries around $100 usd.

For you weight and size I think better buy some 150cc bikes. New is always safe. But if you prefer to buy second hand, don't choose a roughly used and more than 2 years old. Honda PCX, SH/SHi, CBR 150, SYM Shark, etc may be suitable for you. If you buy Honda, you will get good price when you want to resale.

The Honda Rebel is a nice bike. I used to ride with a friend who is over 6 feet tall that rode the Honda Rebel 250.

But I think you need a special license to ride anything over 175cc. Haven't seen the Rebel 150 though.

I'm not too family with registering a vehicle that is not what the original cc is to bypass the special license but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a common occurence.

I didn't see too many Honda Rebel 125 when I was searching for my Suzuki GN 125 though I'd prefer the Rebel more.

They also have the Honda Win which they use for off-roading as well and heard it's used a lot for long road travels in Vietnam.

Apparently it's supposed to be ideal for riding in mountainous areas. Enduro type bikes don't usually have the strong low end power but maybe others can chip in that have rode this bike.

And the Honda Win is definitely not the cruiser style bike you are used to riding but just another alternative to choosing your bike.

Not too many options with your size, weight, location and Vietnam's cc limitation.

ancientpathos wrote:

Greetings,
Been here a year and am tired of renting a motorbike.  I am a big guy, weigh 115 kilos. Which would be the right bike for me.  In America, big twin harleys were my thing.  Here I am thinking of a 150 or 125cc.  Any suggestions on make, model and new or used would be welcome.  Thanks...

Although I'm not too unhappy with my current motorbike, I wished somebody gave me this advice before I bought it.  Here it is:

"Go to a motorbike rental place - Rent several makes/models of motorbikes to try them out.  Whichever you feel comfortable with, buy that particular make/model new!"

You can also go to the showrooms of new motorbike dealers and they'll let you test drive a motorbike/scooter.  But these area always new so you don't know how it'll feel a few thousand kilometers worn in.

I don't see alot of large manual motorbikes in circulation out there so here are some popular larger engine scooters. 

Honda Airblade
Honda SH
Honda Lead
SYM Shark 125
SYM Excel II 150cc

Suzuki also makes "motorcycle wanna-bes" for the market.

GZ150–A
EN150-A

And these are popular chick magnets:

Nouvo LX or SX
Yamaha Exciter (combined with his avatar, this is what cang_nduc is wishing for :D)

cang_nduc wrote:

2013 exciter yamaha

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

And these are popular chick magnets:

Nouvo LX or SX
Yamaha Exciter (combined with his avatar, this is what cang_nduc is wishing for :D)

cang_nduc wrote:

2013 exciter yamaha

This would be my dream chick magnet:
http://www.likecool.com/Car/Other/Motorcycle%20Sidecars/Motorcycle-Sidecars.jpg

http://www.likecool.com/Motorcycle_Side … --Car.html

Yah I know, it's technically a sidecar but still attached to a motorcycle.  :P

jimbream wrote:

Hey THD,
Nothing wrong with the -
""Suzuki also makes "motorcycle wanna-bes" for the market.
GZ150–A
EN150-Ang ""

They're cheap as chips for a 150.I think about 45 Mil from what an owner told me about his GZ.
The EN has a good size seat and is actually a motorbike as compared to a scooter(SH,SYM,Nouvo,Airblade etc.)
They have a good length of service warranty.And the GZ has some great(but ugly)panniers for dry and safe storage.
Actually the GZ might be a good base for a custom job.
And tell me please,how do you insert pics onto the forum?I've tried but unsuccessful as yet.

A motorcycle wanna-be is anything NOT a Harley.  Harleys are American pride baby!

To insert a picture, you must find the URL for the picture.  Google anything...like Arnold Schwarzeneger.  You search the images.  Then right click and "copy URL".  On this blog, you can then paste the URL.  Then type in [img]at the beginning of the URL and then type[/img] after the URL.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAdGM3kpoRdr11ZaIx5xkQuYwO-YYp7KkomDwxHOppFOXeLAca

There are also buttons above the box where you type...where you see "Message" and some icons for editing, like Bold, Italicize, Underline...to the left of smileys, there are two icons for linking a URL and an icon for linking an image.

jimbream wrote:

[img align=c]http://r1.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201212/harley---davidson-sp-18_600x0w.jpg[/url]

A dream I have.

Ah...a real motorcycle.  Hope your dream comes true. 

But keep in mind the taxes if you want to import it here.  As a rule of thumb, I double the price.  So priced around $10.5K for the Sportster 48XL1200X you'll need about $21K to make that baby happen in Việt Nam.

Wonder if ancientpathos/Ron would want to buy that (My attempt at guiding this thread back to the OP).

Congrats on figuring out posting the photo thingy.

Being a fat older guy I am already a chick magnet....  Harleys and there clones are way too expensive and for traffic are not good.  I do not like the semi or automatics.  My left foot always want to shift gears .  Maybe the honda rebel is the way to go.  Thanks for the advice...

$2100 USD? Not too bad a price. Think my future wife would have me sleeping on the couch if I brought that home. Someday it will be mines :cool:

khanh44 wrote:

$2100 USD? Not too bad a price. Think my future wife would have me sleeping on the couch if I brought that home. Someday it will be mines :cool:

Not $2,100 (two thousand one hundred) but $21,000 (twenty one thousand dollars). 

For $2,100, you could get a Vietnamese motorbike or scooter...never an American Harley (new at least).

it says 42 mil '98 model

42 mil = $2,100 USD is it not?

$100 is about $2 mil so $1000 is about $20 mil. Yeah should be about $2100 I think lol.

But that's for the Rebel don't know cc. They usually cost about $3 grand here for the 250cc ones.

khanh44 wrote:

it says 42 mil '98 model

42 mil = $2,100 USD is it not?

$100 is about $2 mil so $1000 is about $20 mil. Yeah should be about $2100 I think lol.

But that's for the Rebel don't know cc. They usually cost about $3 grand here for the 250cc ones.

I stand corrected.  You were looking at the Rebel, and not the Harley.

I don't think I'd get a Harley in Vietnam. You'd be steam rolling people crossing the street with that bike and police will be constantly pulling you over for fabricated tickets.

Last time I was in Vietnam I rode the CD Benly. That was a nice bike to ride in the countryside.