Cost of Living

Hi

I would be moving to Quito, Ecuador on a long term assignment (3 Years).
I want to know what would be the approximate Cost of living for a family of 3 (me, my wife & infant son) ?
How are health care facilities ?
How safe is place for Expats ?
Please Suggest some good locations for accommodation.
Do you advise I should buy a Car or we can live without it ?

Please add any further Information which would be helpful for us.

Thanks

Hey Kul,

Read all the threads and do some research like the rest of all the expats.............

KuldeepSankhala wrote:

Hi

I would be moving to Quito, Ecuador on a long term assignment (3 Years).
I want to know what would be the approximate Cost of living for a family of 3 (me, my wife & infant son) ?
How are health care facilities ?
How safe is place for Expats ?
Please Suggest some good locations for accommodation.
Do you advise I should buy a Car or we can live without it ?

Please add any further Information which would be helpful for us.

Thanks

Health care is affordable and up to date,  Doctors seem to take more time with you then in the States (my experience...no idea about Canada)

I would see where you work is located and ask them about safer neighborhoods. I would also look for an apartment complex with a doorman etc.  Quito is a big city with a much higher crime rate than say Cuenca.  But I have not heard of foreigners being targeted.

Based on my experience living there, I would say having your own vehicle will make life much easier getting to work etc.  Quito has pico y placa which means that one day a week you can't use your vehicle.  Vehicles are, by US prices, a more expensive.

Can't help you with lodgings.  There are places that rent small "executive" apts by the month till you get settled.  But can't remember any names.  Again, work contacts should be able to help.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your Reply. :)

My Company would be providing hotel for first 6 weeks, I think that would be sufficient to search for accommodation.

Can you please advise few safe neighborhoods ?

will $1200-$1500 PM be sufficient enough to live a comfortable lifestyle ?