Compound or rented apartment???

Hi,

I asked a few questions a couple of weeks ago and I got some really helpful responses. My husband has now been given a job offer ( I am freaking out a bit). In his offer he has been given 900 bd for housing. When we move out we will have two young children, I am currently 38 weeks pregnant with no. 2.

I have been looking on the property website that I was given the other week and there appears to be more availability in private flats. They also seem to come with security and communal pools etc.

I want to live in a safe area, I will have two young children, my husband will be working long hours, I want to be able to meet people easily. Ideally I would like a 4 bedroom apartment for guests to stay and a communal pool.

Would you go for commune or private?

Do you think we can get a nice apartment in a nice area for the cost?

Sorry if this reads really weirdly, I am too hormonal to be dealing with this and am slightly terrified of moving my wee family so far away! :)

Thank you for any help you can offer

K

Hi

Firstly it depends on you as a person. We took compound for safety and quickly moved to private villa as didn't like people being around us 24/7 and some we didn't like much.

I wouldn't get an apartment with kids, you would go stir crazy. I got a 4 bed villa in a compound with all shared facilities for BD900 a month inclusive. Scottrace on here pays much less for a 3/4 bed villa with private pool in Janabiya.

Areas depend on your husbands work location due to commute. Nothing is far away but when there is an accident on the roads etc it could take a very long time to get anywhere.

Also bear in mind - will you drive? Do you need to be near shops etc?

I have a friend who works in real estate, his services are totally free and he is really thorough when given an idea of what you want.

IF you are interested and want to be in touch with him then let me know by PM. I don't like posting peoples emails and phone numbers on a public website due to data protection etc.

You will love Bahrain and realise it was the best thing you ever did very quickly so slap those hormones and relax :-)

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I definitely like the idea of the compound for the safety point of view. I am also quite scared about feeling isolated with two such young children so I do feel that the compound would mean there would always be people there if I needed them.

My husband's job would be in Manama. I would be really grateful for the contact details of your friend so I will PM you.

Thank you again

Kirsten

There are lots of lovely compounds in Saar, close to the Dilmun club which is a family expat club with lots of activities for children and a lot of families have memberships there.

The safety issue really isn't a problem, it's the isolation - my son played daily in our compound pool but then the family he played with moved away. He rarely plays out now.

Hi Kirsten,

You're asking a lot of the same questions I have so I have been watching with interest, and thought I should say hi!! 

My husband has been offered a role in Saudi, just over the causeway and we have been recommended to live in Bahrain.  I lived in Bahrain as a child and have many happy memories, though it was a few years ago now!!  (I have swimming certificates from the Dilmun club dating back to 1981!!!).

Our son is 5!  So initially he and I will head over in the school holidays while we arrange things.

Does anyone know if Sheikh's Beach is still there??

All the best

Sarah

Of course it depends on what area you feel as your 'home'.

Also Saar, Reef Island and Amwaj Island are very good places to live. They have security at the entrance (Reef Islands and some 'amwaj' islands have double security check points as well)

So you can feel safe as in a compound even without living in a compound and being part of a lovely community. For instance, I live with my wife in Amwaj and it is a lovely and safe place (20-25 min from Manama) and I know people living in Reef and Saar very happy to live there.

Again, it depends on where you feel 'at home' (and on your budget as well!). So, if you have time, my suggestion is to have a look around and find the best place for you and your husband.

Anyway, welcome to Bahrain!

p.s. For your info there is another British Club in Adliya (Manama city Center) if you want to meet other British expats!

Thank you Gioxx, I imagine my husband will be living in a hotel at 1st so hopefully he can scout around and see what he tinks would suit us best.

It is so weird planning to live in a country I that I haven't even visited!

Sarah, it looks like we could be in the same situation. Which holidays are you planning to move in? What school is your son going to?

Hello Mummywatson and welcome to the forum.

You will absolutely not feel isolated in Bahrain if you make a little bit of effort to go out and meet new people. There are thousands of expats here and most seem to be friendly and in the same situation as you, meaning they just arrived and looking to meet new friends.

There are number of people in this forum who organise meet-ups and events to meet with other members of the forum. Once they are posted here, you can join those events and meet them.

Let us know when you arrive here and we'll make sure you have a pleasant stay in Bahrain.

Having young children it will be impossible not to meet lots of other parents - so I am sure you will not feel isolated here. It sounds like you are finding out as much information as you can so I don't think you will have any problems going to live in a country you have never been!