Possible Relo to PR in the next year

Hello, I hope I don't bug too many people but I assume if you are here you are OK with some questions from time to time.  I will probably accept a Relo to PR in the following year but I would like to do some leg work before doing so.  I have 3 sons, two which will ove with me and my wife, ages 7 and 13 they are both gifted in the US school system and we would like to explore some of the education opportunities in PR.  I am also a very avid Mountain Biker and outdoor enthusiast, I regularly compete in XTERRA races and adventure races and MTB events and would love to find a good area in PR to ride/live.

Thanks for your openness and you may hear from me.

Sergio

I assume your sons are not fluent in Spanish, am I right? If that's the case you will be limited to a couple, rather expensive, private schools where the classes are in English. There are a couple of them in the greater San Juan area that I know of, maybe in other towns like Ponce and Mayaguez as well. I can't really help you any further since my knowledge is dated - our youngest already finished college and lives in the States..

Outdoor sports like mountain biking are mainly in the countryside, in the central mountain range; English language schools are in the city. So you'll have to drive for either one. Now, if you have a job that's a third location to consider.
I would look for a place to live that's close to work and school. :)

Gary thanks for the reply.

Our boys are not "fluent" in spanish but they can survive, Mom is from Spain and I am Colombian American and they have spent summers in Colombia.  The reasoning for interest in English schools, is that I am a firm believer that they will learn Spanish while in PR just fine, but I need them to maintain a proper higher English in case we return later.

I am scouring for Mountain Biking info, I think I have found what I need, luckily the island is all within hours, not like driving across all of Florida.

Work will be all over the island so we will have that flexibility to pick and choose where we live.

Thanks so far.

Sergio

et3surge wrote:

The reasoning for interest in English schools, is that I am a firm believer that they will learn Spanish while in PR just fine, but I need them to maintain a proper higher English in case we return later.

You're so right!

et3surge wrote:

I am scouring for Mountain Biking info, I think I have found what I need, luckily the island is all within hours, not like driving across all of Florida.

Work will be all over the island so we will have that flexibility to pick and choose where we live.

Yup, it's a compact place :)

Keep in mind that the traffic jams in and around the metro area are terrible. Between 6 and 9:30 AM and 4-7 PM you should add an hour or more of waiting time for most trips.

Glad I am used to those but I can work around normal traffic hours.  Thanks for the pointer though.

Where do you live again?  Are you retired or working?

S.H.

et3surge wrote:

Where do you live again?  Are you retired or working?

I'm in Juncos, well outside town in a small barrio. I work - self employed and spending most of my time in the home office. My commute time is 20 seconds. :D

Education costs may be high with three children.  The only option is private schooling so unless your company is willing to cover the costs then that could be the option.  However, good private schools may have a waiting lists, so get call them ahead of time. 

Nature here is abundant and beautiful. 

Feel free to email me with more questions.

Peter