Driving License and banking

Hi there,

I've been told that I can't get a driving license or open a bank account in my own name unless I have a social security number. Anyone know if that's true?!?!?

Thanks!

Yes, you will need a SS number to do that.

So, there's no way round that like there is in the US?!? Shame!! Do you know if I can get a SS# if my husband has a working visa?

Really appreciate your fast answer!

Jackie

Maybe there is a way around it, but I wouldn't know. :)

If you already have a driver's license for Texas you might be able to exchange it for a PR license - check with the DTOP www.dtop.gov.pr/

I'm not too current with visa anymore (I have my'green card' for quite some time now) but shouldn't you have some sort of visa - that might be good enough to qualify for a SS number -  to be able to stay longer than 6 months?

Thanks! I am going to check in to both those suggestions... I'm sure you're right! :D

You need your social security card and a local address.   You need social security card for many official transactions. 

As far as driving license.  I do not know if the following is a legal thing to do but almost all new comers do it. 

1) get the driving record form your local dvm
2) go to AAA office and claim that you lost your driver license and issue a new one
3) in PR at DTOP get a new license using your old driver license and the driving record

Now you have two.  Why?  Nobody outside of PR accepts PR's driving license as a legal document!

Peter

guide-pr.com wrote:

As far as driving license.  I do not know if the following is a legal thing to do but almost all new comers do it.

Really? How would you know?

guide-pr.com wrote:

Now you have two.

Only for as long they are both valid

guide-pr.com wrote:

Nobody outside of PR accepts PR's driving license as a legal document!

Never had a problem renting a car anywhere in the world using my PR license

You can't do ANYTHING here without a SS # and if you want a license or house or bank account you have to GIVE them a copy of a birth certificate that they keep!

Thanks everyone!