Dress code for doctors in hospital

What is the accepted dress code for male hospital doctors?  A lot of European hospitals are slowly doing away with ties and long sleeved shirts for infection control reasons.

Are short sleeved T-shirts baring the elbows acceptable?
Are open necked short sleeved Polo shirts OK?
Are ties mandatory or optional?

Many thanks.

Doctors I know wear lab coats, so if you are wearing short sleeves it doesn't matter.  They do, however, wear button-down shirts with a tie.

I've never ever seen a doctor in a polo shirt.

Thanks Allie.

Over the last 8 years or so, the UK has adopted a "bare below the elbows" dress code for hospital staff in clinical areas.  Polo shirts and short sleeved shirts are quite common.  Theatre scrubs are also used.

Ties are frowned upon.  Lab coats are banned!!  This is in the name of infection control.

It seems the more usual dress code remains in place in Saudi.

ill agree.  even in the US i see it often now

The dress code is nothing like back home in Manchester, the doctors wear long sleeved shirts and tie along with lab coats at the hospital I work.

Theatre Scrubs are "IN" for young doctors even when they are out having thier coffee in twon !!!..

lab coats are the most common as Alliecat said , you will also see some Saudi male doctors wearing their Thoubs(with or without a lab coat) and femal doctors in Abayas with Niqab covering the face.

My husband has to wear dress shirt with tie and dress pants/khakis.  Consultants aren't wearing the labcoats though they are issued a couple.  They do wear business like coats. No one wears half sleeves without a jacket of some sort. There are no consultants wearing thobes even among the Arabs. Admin though do wear thobes.

[img]m16[/img]

I am just considering applying for a post in KSA.  I wonder if you can tell me a little about what life is like there for a doctor.  It's difficult to make a "recce" visit.

ManDoc you are right, I remember when I was in New Zealand doctors used to wear polo shirts, and lab personnel wore shorts. But here in Saudi we are asked to wear long sleeve shirts and dress pants with or without lab coats