Finding our dream home in Belize

Hello All,

I'm new to this blogging stuff but I'll give it a shot as there seems to be a wealth of info.

After researching a move to Belize I've been in touch with Orchird Bay in the Corozal District...  OrchidBayBelize.com .

Does anyone wish to share their thoughts regarding this community?

We are looking at moving there so this is not an investment property.

I look forward to hearing from anyone willing to help.

Thanks and cheers from Calgary, Alberta....

John

there exist many threads about the planned communities in and near Corozal.   I do not know why the administrators of this blog started a new thread.  The only way for you to know about Orchid Bay is to come and see for yourself.  If you can, plan to spend additional days in the town of Corozal, so you can do some comparison shopping and meet some expats.

Generally the previous comments about Orchid Bay and the Sanctuary have been negative.  so Buyer Beware............

I tried to get out to see Progresso, Copper Bank, Cerros and Orchard Bay to see the progress in the area about 2 weeks ago, but with the ferries being down, the road to San Estavan was so bad.
Just make sure that you budget for a really good truck if you plan to live out there. (or possibly a boat so you can avoid the roads all together)

Kristin is 100% right. You have to go out and see the area. Spend time out there. Even things like grocery shopping are an issue. Try renting out there first, before you make any major decisions.
If issues like access to doctors or proximity to hospitals are important to you, then this might be a consideration.  Internet via satellite only might be too slow for your particular needs. Some people find that having to use Canadian Satellite for their TV reception is too expensive, esp when you compare it to the local cable TV. 
Do you want to travel so far just to go and see friends?  Do you mind missing out on an evening dinner with friends in town, because the road around is too dangerous to travel at night ? or have to book a night in a hotel, because the ferry went down and you got caught on the other side or because its raining too hard?

There is not only the issue of the particular development to consider, but also the other ancillary issues.
Also - do you want to be in an expat community? There are pro's and con's.

I came down here 6 months ago and I though I had done my research well and knew what I was looking for. After 6 months here I have totally different thoughts and views on all thing Belize.
I love it here - that is not the problem.
But I'm glad I didn't lock myself into a situation that I couldn't change or have bought  land I couldn't resell, or worse - committed to a house that I would no longer find suitable for here. I'm now making a totally different Belizean plan, a much better plan. Take it slow.

Look up Royal Colony Estates.  We were taken here on our tour and fell in love with it.