I need a sofi number but i live in an hotel !

Hi!

Next week i am going to Rotterdam, i have some interview with Dutch companies, to apply for a job. But they need a BSN or Sofi number.

I can't have a BSN number because i am not sure to stay more than 4 months. Someone here had obtain a SOFI number ? Do they ask you an adress ? I am going to rent a flat/room in an hotel but for 1 or 2 weeks for the moment...

Please help me with this information !

Thank you !

Hélène

Hi Hélène!
I live in Rotterdam since October 2012 with my boyfriend and we obtained the BSN when we registered ourself at the city hall. But our situation was different, we already had an address. You need an address to obtain BSN. If you look for a place in the suburubs, you'll find cheaper rents.
Good luck!
Licia

Thank you so much Licia for answering ! Do you know a good web site where i can find a flat ? (i would like to rent just one month because i have not a job for the moment)

Concerning the BSN i will prefer have a SOFI number but i don't know if we need an adress for this one because it is a number for less than 4 month...

Merci, thank you !

Hélène

Hi, Hélène!
Yes, you need an address to obtain BSN. Anyway, these ones are websites where you can find flats:

www. pararius.nl, www. funda.nl, www. directwonen.nl and www. flexwonen.nl

The last one has ads only in Rotterdam. It's the site where I found my flat. Its ads are posted by individual people. When we arrived we thought to remain 1 month too. The con. with private landlords is that they can cheat you. We have been very lucky because our current landlord is a good person and he gave us the flat for a month, then for another month and when my boyfriend found his current job he extended the agreement for a year. The cons of agencies are that they want people who can rent a flat for at least 6 months and they ask a deposit.

To give you an idea, my boyfriend pays 800€ per month. The flat is furnished and expenses (water, gas and electricity) are included in the rent. He directly pays only the internet connection and I pay the water purification tax and the garbage tax.

For the job, I don't know if you already had a look at these sites:
www. undutchables.nl, Adams Multilingual Recruitment, www. pran.nl, Unique Multilingual, Toplanguage Jobs, www. multilingualvacancies.com

I hope you will be as lucky as us. If you have any question, write to me.

Bye Bye,
Licia

Hi Helene,

Even without address you can get the BSN number. Check my post for inspiration:

settlinginhague.wordpress.com/category/settling-in/

Should you need any help just ask me!

Daniel

Hi daniel !

Thank you so much for your answer i ve just read your blog and it is really hepful :) yesterday i had my BSN number ! Indeed they don't check your adress in the Netherlands even in France :) But i wrote the adress of my hostel^^

Nice day !! :)

Hi Daniel,

I know this post is a bit old now but I could not find the information on your blog. You say you can get a BSN without an address, can you tell me how you do it please?

Thank you

Nicole

Pozzie wrote:

Hi Daniel,

I know this post is a bit old now but I could not find the information on your blog. You say you can get a BSN without an address, can you tell me how you do it please?

Thank you

Nicole

Hi Nicole and welcome to the Forum,

This thread is almost 4-years old, so you may not get a response from the OP.

There is a system for students from abroad, but for everybody else, you must have somewhere to live (so an address) with which to register; there are 3 ways you can do this:

1.  A rental/tenancy agreement (signed by both parties) or home purchase agreement; or, if lodging with someone: a copy of the main occupant's identity document and a declaration confirming that they give permission for the applicant to reside at the address.

2.  An employer's declaration of permitted official postal address (for applicants who have not yet found a permanent address and are therefore registering temporarily at the company address).

3. A declaration ‘place of residence' (for applicants who will be living in accommodation that has been rented by the employer).

Be careful when renting, some less scrupulous landlords who are trying to hide the rental from the Dutch tax-man, may not provide a rental/tenancy agreement - so check before you sign.

If you live in a hotel, you are not a permanent resident and do not need a BSN number.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for your help. I wonder do you know if  you can use a friend's address temporarily until you get your own place? For me, I need the BSN to open a Dutch bank account in order to be able to rent an apartment (to be able to pay the deposit and the rent etc), so that is my dilemma.

Pozzie wrote:

Thanks for your help. I wonder do you know if  you can use a friend's address temporarily until you get your own place? For me, I need the BSN to open a Dutch bank account in order to be able to rent an apartment (to be able to pay the deposit and the rent etc), so that is my dilemma.

I'm not sure, you'll be dealing with civil-servants and one thing I do know is that if you ask 10 civil-servants the same question, you'll probably get 10 different answers (joke)!  Perhaps it's best that you contact the Gemeente where you will be registering and ask them - then you have it from the horses mouth (make a note of their name, date/time etc; this link will take you to a document, the 2nd page of which explains the process for those staying longer than 4-months and has the contact information for all of the Gemeente's in Holland.

One last point, you will struggle to rent anything permanent without a job-contract.

Hope this helps. :)

Yes thank you that does help. As for the job contract, I did read that but I am already employed, my job is internet based but I receive a salary so I'm hoping a letter from my employer and bank statements should suffice.