Tax advice in terms of foreign investment in South Africa

I am looking for advice or a consultant who knows the tax laws between SA and The Netherlands. I have recently immigrated to The Netherlands.

I would like to find out with my Investments that are still in SA if they need to be taxed there or will they be taxed here. I am eligible for the 30% tax ruling in case that makes a difference. Also depending on which side i will be taxed on i am looking for information as to what needs to be done? ie what documents etc do i need to submit and on which side to be correctly be taxed.

Any info or contacts would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You will be assessed for tax on your worldwide income depending on where you live; in this case Holland.  The 30% ruling applies only to salary earned in Holland.

There is a double-taxation agreement (DTA) in place between The Netherlands and South Africa, so you won't be taxed twice on income, but the Netherlands also applies social taxes which are not part of the DTA, so you will be taxed on overseas investments and income.

My advice is you need to speak to a tax expert; there is one who advertises their services on the Forum; this link will take you there.  I've never used their services, so I can't personally recommend them, but they will be a good place to start.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team