Recommend Optometrist in Santiago or elsewhere?

Hi,

My husband needs new glasses, and we were thinking of waiting to get them when we arrive in Santiago at the end of the month. Any recommendations? Any idea of prices? Would it be better if we bought them in the USA?

Also wondering if it is cheaper or more expensive to buy things like IPAds, etc in DR and what cell phone service you all recommend for making and receiving lots of calls to the USA.

thanks!

Cant help with optometrist but can comment on electronics. ALWAYS buy them in US, they are way more expensive here.

Can't comment on cell carriers in terms of US calls either I use skype and a landline with Tricom for those calls.

I know there's a good eye doc in POP on Bellon in the same building the US consulate used to be in just down from the park at Calle Restaracion.
I use Skype, when I can but there's a Internet call & text company called Pinger. They'll give you a stateside number. You can, with a smart phone and Internet access, make and receive calls thru them. You don't pay to receive calls either.
For local phone most folks gave cel phones. I like Claro but there's other services like Orange and Tricom. Orange doesn't get signal at my property. I originally use Tricom but the signal was spotty on my farm. Switched to Codetel, which was bought out by Verizon then switched back when Verizon left   Now Codetel uses Claro for there service name.
I real funny story behind the Verizon deal but that probably should be for a different string. Lol
I hope this helps

Several things to consider with cell phone companies  first of course is signal where you will be,  cost of local and long distance calls,  price and availability of data plans if needed and  just as important what do they offer inside their company and who are you going to call.

For example with my Viva Blackberry plan - unlimited data,  unlimited free calls viva to viva, unlimited messages viva to viva,  and many international calls are like local calls (US, Canada, Mexico etc)  and my plan gives me 250 minutes included.  Cost  is 1,100RD a month tax included. 

This plan works really well for me as I need to always be in touch by email for my work.

There is another good Optometrist across the street from Tropical supermarket in PP.

As to phones we use Orange and Claro and both include in our plan data services as well as calls to the US and Canada are at the same rate as calling in the DR

We also have Magic Jack and got a package for about $50 + equipment cost (another $30 or so) and have unlimited calls to most of the world for free for the next 5 years.

As to electronics all will cost up to twice as much as in the US.
We buy all our electronics, cameras, cell phones in the US

Bob K

So if you buy electronics in the U.S., how do you get them to the DR? And for how much?
Can't you just buy electronic stuff on Amazon.com and just have them shipped to the DR?

Is there a Homedepot or Lowes type store in the DR?

I think it is a good idea to have your U.S. cellphone unlocked so you can use it on any carrier, anywhere.

Yes if you have an unlocked phone bring it.  You can buy one here and pretty cheap as well.

No the closes thing we have to a lowes or home depot is Ochoa in Santiago, and American hardware in Santo Domingo.

Shipping a TV here can be expensive as well with customs costs. However there are companies that will get it done for a reasonable price and for less than want the TV would cost here.

Bob K

When ever traveling up to the "land of plenty" from the Caribbean, a good policy is you go up empty and come back full. You'll always get better deals up north.
As Bob said, there are Dominican mailing services available and great to use. I've found when using them, have it shipped to a Dominican you can trust and customs won't gouge you.

Hi Bob this is straying off the topic, but a while back I remember reading that you were growing some sweet potatoes, and I was wondering if you had any slips you would be willing to trade for a couple of cold ones? I will be in Cabarete for the month of October and would love to do a trade if that is cool with you :D

Hey I remember that too!!!! Hell i would make a road trip for that!

I am going to Cabrera next week and planning on bringing some gifts to friends, a baby walker, a handheld game console (nintendo) a mosquito killer lamp and an unlocked phone, should i use a shipping company or will it be a problem bringing them with my luggage?

bring them in your luggage! No big deal

thak you, AGAIN!!!!!!!