Banking laws and tax information for expats in Chile

I'm looking on information on the ease of banking for expats and how bad the taxes are for Americans.  I am aware that Americans get double taxed by both the US and Chile.  I would like to buy property (house and acreage)or build a house on acreage.  I also want to open a business.  I have heard that some banks won't touch us due to the US laws on reporting.  Does anybody know?  Thanks much!

Claybo

Hello Claybo.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks.

Karen :)

Thanks!  Do you live in Chile?  Where are you from?

Hi

I'm gathering info on Chile too.
I was told yesterday to use international banks like BBVA or Santander. about the rest of your questions I don't know but would sure like to know.
I'm from South Africa and going there next year to look for a piece of land

I aim to do the same.  I will post anything if I hear it.  I know the US is the ONLY country in the world that hammers their citizens abroad.  The rest will let you be taxed once.

Hi!
There isnŽt a extra taxes for americans, if you want a bank-credit usually you should give them the last 12 salary slips (in Chile) and your national id (RUT). (if you live in Chile at least 3 months working, you will get one RUT.)

If you want to open a business, you could contact the national agency CORFO CHILE (corfo.cl/), they could assist you about information, credit, visa, etc.

Regards,

Hi
I am from South Africa also  living in south east Asia moving there in the new year were are you looking at going which part ? I have done lots of research maybe we can share info with each other .
Regards

Hi
I will be there in a few months I am also from R S A  id love to chat to you .