Opening a bank account in Chile

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Chile ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Chile ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

Hi Julien,
I will ask to my executive in Santander Bank, i'm chilean when you want open an account you  must give documents about how much you earn in the last 3 months and a copy of my national id, i'll ask if u need another documents!

Regards
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

I have talk with my bank excecutive, and give this information to get a bank account:

- Passaport Copy.
- Chilean VISA copy.
- Contract of employment
- If you work in Chile, you must to give documents about tax's (liquidaciones)
- AFP Report Copy
- Job ID.

Regards,

Ricardo

Thanks a lot Ricardo :)

Armand

hello i am from asia. just wanna know what requirements i need to open bank account here in chile? its ok if i just give a copy of passport with visa without contract of employment? and how much it will cost?

akichan
You MUST HAVE the ID CARD and with that you may be can open a count,
if you are in chile, search the bank name "BCI NOVA" in that entity you may allow open  a count
you cant open a count with check book, you must to get the final visa of resident.
The other banks always ask for you id card, plus lived in chile more then a year and get your final visa

It's almost impossible to open a checking account.  Most chileans do not have one.  Instead you can get a "cuenta vista" which will give you a debit card and the ability to transfer money to other cuenta vistas.  You can read more about that here:

southernpacificreview.com/2011/05/27/where-chilean-banks-beat-american-ones/

thanks how about banco estado?