What are your thoughts on purchasing second hand motorbike?

Hi guys,

I will be looking for a second hand motorbike to buy in a few weeks, when I am in HCMC.  Many people told me not to trust the many used motorbike being sold online, at dealership, or on papers because their parts have been changed and so they can easily break down.  I want to get one for around 15-20 millions VND with at least 125CC, but prefer 150cc.   

1. Where should I look or go to in order to find a decent one without being ripped off? 
2. Am I expecting too much for my price range?
3. Which motorbikes (brands/models) have 150cc engine?

Roe,

For that amount, you can get a new Honda (RX, I think).  It will just not be in the 150cc category, though.  But, for Vietnamese traffic, you will hardly know the difference.

For the 150cc variety, you will have to step up to the Honda SH level; and they run in the 100 millions range, new.

Used?  Roe, you don't want to walk a motorbike, let alone get down and dirty with it, in the Vietnamese heat. 

Regardless of what you choose, just remember the higher the cc, the heavier the bike, the more you will have to push in the unforgiving heat.

Play safe and get a new one. As wild1 said, rx is good and reliable.
Tooo many ppl will see u as an opurtunity for a quick buck if u looking for a used one.

Howie: I was searching for Honda RX to see what it looks like but did not find anything.  Can you please give me the exact model? What do you think of the Future 125, it's a 125cc.

I am reconsidering about what you said regarding the heat and unreliability of the used motorbikes.  Besides, with a bit more, I can get a new one so I am down with that. Thanks for the advice.

cth: I would like to buy a used one but only if it comes from someone I know or recommended.  But yes, I am definitely considering a new bike now. Thanks!

Now, this brings me to a new question about motorbike thief: Is it true that it is very easy to have your motorbike stolen or robbed (new or old), even though it does not have to be in the high end price range?  That was one of the reasons why I was thinking of buying a used one so it does not attract much attention.

Search Honda RS Vietnam on Googlle,
They are that or similar, I might have got the (RX) name mixed up/ wrong

I've never heard of bikes getting robbed, most of the bikes I know have a lock anyway which stops the steering column moving when you park them :)

Used bikes are definitely hit and miss, two years on a used semi-automatic Honda Wave with absolutely no issues, went up the coast and back without a problem. Then the police took it (my own fault, I shouldn't have stopped!) so I got a (newer, but still second hand) Honda Nouvo and have had nothing but problems since.. it's currently in an underground garage in D7 and won't even start :(

Does anybody know any mechanics that speak English and will come to the bike? Automatics are heavy, and the bike is stuck well out the way on the D7/Nha Be boarder..

AlexSarah wrote:

I've never heard of bikes getting robbed, most of the bikes I know have a lock anyway which stops the steering column moving when you park them.

The steering lock does not prevent thieves from picking up the bike, throwing it on the back of a truck and driving away with it. When they get back to their hideout, they have the tools to easily disable the steering lock, re-key the ignition, and voila, a perfectly resalable motorbike.

Always park your motorbike in an area that is watched that you pay for (2000-5000 dong, typically). A small price to pay for peace-of-mind.

Back on topic...
I bought a used motorbike... but only because I was the one who had been using it since new. Only buy used in Vietnam if you personally know the person selling it. Otherwise, it's a crap-shoot.

The one thing that Vietnam will never be short of is motorbike.  So, don't sweat it, Roe.  You will eventually get yours. 

I rented for a long long time, before bought mine; and I have not looked back since.

saigonmonkey wrote:

The steering lock does not prevent thieves from picking up the bike, throwing it on the back of a truck and driving away with it.

Very true. I may have a broken bike waiting for me in D7..

AlexSarah wrote:

Does anybody know any mechanics that speak English and will come to the bike? Automatics are heavy, and the bike is stuck well out the way on the D7/Nha Be boarder..

Get in touch with Hein bikes in D1, they will come and collect it.
The guy speaks English and he looks after a lot of expats here, he deals with bigger bikes as well.
As SaigonMonkey said the locks are worthless and a pain for those that have to shuffle them around whilst parked, so increases the chances of them getting broken. Bikes get stolen here all the time, the more attractive the bike (SH etc.) the more at risk you are.

On Topic
VN Honda SH 150cc runs at 80million vnd new, the 125cc is 65million. The 100mill plus versions are Italian made and not Vietnamese.
Sym Shark 170cc runs at 65million new, Sym are ok but big and heavy and don't hold there value as well, but new are still good value.
20million will get you a Sym shark newish (probably 125cc) Sym Excel model II(150cc) newish model, both ok as long as they have been looked after.
For that money I'd look at second hand Yamaha Nouvo or Honda Airblade (better fuel than the Yamaha)
New Honda Wave RS 110cc is about 20million.

You can buy second hand bikes without issue as long as you know what your looking at, parts do get swapped, but are easily identified as such if your mechanically minded. If in doubt get a VN friend to help you out.

I bought a brand new SYM Shark almost 4 years ago and have had no issues at all with it. SYM is a good alternative to Honda and in many cases half the price.

Wild_1 wrote:

The one thing that Vietnam will never be short of is motorbike.  So, don't sweat it, Roe.  You will eventually get yours. 

I rented for a long long time, before bought mine; and I have not looked back since.

Renting a motorbike before you buy one is a definite plus.  You get to try out all makes and models and find out which one you like best.  They should cost you not more than $5 a day for a scooter.  Anyone quoting prices significantly higher is probably fleecing ya.

Here's the math:

$5/day *365 days/year = $1,825 - cost of a new bike $1,800 (around 36 million VND). 

This is inline with transportation rental costs in the US.

The average cost of renting a car in the USA is $60/day
$60/day *365/year = $21,900 - cost of a new car about 20 grand.

I have a defective bike.  It fell down the other night while I was riding it...

Sym are a good bike Don, but very bad resale.

laidbackfreak wrote:

New Honda Wave RS 110cc is about 20million.

But it's not automatic and my feet will get wet (which isn't such a big deal if you wear flip flops but if you where shoes like a normal person and your shoes and socks get soaked you're gonna be kinda uncomfortable all day no?). :(

I'm surprised everyone here is saying buy new. Ok so it looks like the Sym is automatic like I want (am just learning to ride and don't want to have to deal with shifting gears - especially when stopping - while trying to pay attention to everything else in particular the crazy way people drive here) but many are saying the resale value is poor...

Usually I don't like to pay hundreds of dollars in exchange for driving something five feet (ie new vs used depreciation) and for the prices people are quoting for the lowest end new bikes it seems to me that you could buy a MUCH better used bike or buy the same used bike for about 1/3 the cost (and for that price if it breaks down and can't be cheaply fixed you'd do like the Easy E song sez and 'throw it in the gutter, and go buy another').

But I guess from what people are saying if you buy a used bike there is a really good chance it will fall apart on the way home (dangerous)...well if the risk is really that high you probably shouldn't rent either right (the last bike I rented was an automatic 1,200,000 vnd per month and you could probably buy the damn thing for around $300)?

So what about all the bikes expats list for sale here or on craigslist because they have to leave the country? I mean I suppose they could all be scammers but I doubt it...I mean when I hang out at the airport I do see white people boarding planes all the time...

So for those of you who like me may be tempted to forgo the plethora of advice that says 'buy new not used' how would you make sure you're not getting ripped off? Maybe take the bike to a mechanic and have them take a look? And how do you make sure it isn't stolen? Thanx!

jimbream wrote:

I have 2 bikes. Both bought new.
One is a Chinese copy Honda and it's 6 years old,still going strong.Cost me 10 million with plates.

Oh but I thought if you bought a Chinese bike it's likely to fall apart faster than you can say "damn Mongorians!" lol...

10 million new is really cheap and it sounds like your has held up really well...how to find one like that (umm...I still want automatic though)?

Bikes and cars dont depreciate like they do in western countries.If you buy a new bike, lets say an Air Blade for 40 million, then you get a two year warranty, in two years if you maintain that bike you will still get around 35 million. Buy a secondhand bike without knowing much about the bike, it may be worth nothing in a few months.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Here's the math:
$5/day *365 days/year = $1,825 - cost of a new bike $1,800 (around 36 million VND).

This is inline with transportation rental costs in the US.

The average cost of renting a car in the USA is $60/day
$60/day *365/year = $21,900 - cost of a new car about 20 grand.

That is a great way to put it.

Nam wrote:

But it's not automatic and my feet will get wet

Then, for the love of God, stop wearing your shoes, Nam.  Hey, you are in tropical Vietnam.  It is OK to wear your flip flops.  Plus, the manual bikes save fuel.

But, if you are new to motorbikes, stick with the automatics.  They are much easier to ride. 

I am not too sure how those Chinese knock-offs are now.  But before, they were very unreliable.  Like used bikes, buy those Chinese knock-offs at your own risk.  But hey, if you are good with machines, they might worth a shot.  They cost only fractions of the real things.

Wild_1 wrote:

Plus, the manual bikes save fuel.

Howie, A late-model fuel-injected automatic will get better mileage than a manual (semi-automatic). I know this. I've owned both. (Both were Hondas)

colinoscapee wrote:

Bikes and cars dont depreciate like they do in western countries.If you buy a new bike, lets say an Air Blade for 40 million, then you get a two year warranty, in two years if you maintain that bike you will still get around 35 million. Buy a secondhand bike without knowing much about the bike, it may be worth nothing in a few months.

This is true. I bought a new bike in 2008 and had to sell it in 2009. I was shocked that I got as much for it as I did. I could have gotten more, but was under time constraint to leave VN, and just took the first offer.

2nd is ok, let buy from a girl. :D

saigonmonkey wrote:
Wild_1 wrote:

Howie, A late-model fuel-injected automatic will get better mileage than a manual (semi-automatic). I know this. I've owned both. (Both were Hondas)

I have the opposite, I own an Air Blade 2012 model and a 2010 Wave RSX, the wave gets way better mileage.

Wow... great advices and comments! 

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and inputs, directly and indirectly. I will definitely rent a few bikes first and then evaluate the pros and cons before deciding.  :)

Roe

My automatic bike is older than that of Colinoscapee, but it too is a gas guzzler, as compares to a manual.  But Miss Saigonmonkey might be right, others might have those new and improved gadgets.

colinoscapee wrote:
saigonmonkey wrote:
Wild_1 wrote:

I have the opposite, I own an Air Blade 2012 model and a 2010 Wave RSX, the wave gets way better mileage.

I should have clarified. A fuel-injected automatic of a given model will not do better than a fuel-injected manual of a given model. (same as automatic cars vs. manual cars) I was referring to the fact that most manuals are not fuel-injected, (and many older automatics aren't either) but should have stated that.

jimbream wrote:

I'm not sure why fuel economy is so important.

Me either. Miss Wild_1 started it. It's that American car culture coming out of us, I guess. I'm only concerned about being able to make it from HCMC to Can Tho on one tank of gas, so I don't have to totally unload my bicycle from the motorbike just to get the seat open and re-fill it. Right Howie?:D

Miss Wild_1???  :dumbom: 

Hey men, we are running low on fuel, alright?  I must do my part, in telling Roe to conserve...  :thanks: