Moving to Brussels too!

Hi All,

Moving to Brussels mid September from the UK.  My wife has a new job, so I've taken the plunge and decided to quit my job of 16yrs and change everything i know!

We've managed to bag a lovely apartment on Louise so we're central to everything we could possibly want.  Including what looks to be a decent Irish bar (anyone know which one that is, or whether anyone here goes there)?

I'm going to be looking for a job when i arrive, however i am realistic (it think)....I speak 'average' French, so I'm spending the next two months learning business French which will hopefully help me get a new job as it does sound like it's tricky if you don't speak French/Dutch etc.....

However i don't think I'm the type of person that can sit on my hands for 2 months, therefore can someone tell me the best agency that deals with English expats who speak average (i.e. basic) French?

I'm sure you'll see me visit this forum regularly and I'm very keen on meeting up with Expats to help me in the first couple of months as I get to know the city.

Thanks

Hi Bman2112,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Can you please tell us in which sector are you looking for work ;) ?

You can post an advert in the Language classes in Brussels section please as it might help :D

Best wishes

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Maximilien,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been working at the same company for 16yrs in the marketing sector, primarily within the IT technology space. 

My current position is a Global Call Centre Manager and I look after 4 call centres.... two in England , one in Dublin and Bangalore (India).  All business to business work for the likes of Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, VMWare etc

As I'm moving to Brussels without work, I have the opportunity to 're-invent' myself to some degree.  My passions are mainly around sport and music and I've thought of setting up my own business, however this will probably be on the back-burner until I'm settled in.  I am essentially a suit and tie man as that's pretty much all I know.

What I'm desperate to avoid is not have work in 2 months' time even if that means pulling pints etc (no offence intended to those that do).  The language barrier is certainly going to be an issue, however I will work on that prior to coming and certainly in the first 1-2 months by immersing myself into the culture.

As my wife will be working full time when we arrive, I'll have time to myself to (a) explore the city and (b) look for work. 

My immediate problem is that i don't know the city well, nor anyone who lives there, hence the need to meet up with members from this site and do some networking I guess.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Talk the the organiser of this group.... or look at the other meetup groups in Brussels.
http://www.meetup.com/socialNIB/

Bman2112

I am in the same place of reinvention that you are. Moved here without a job and a network and this is the perfect time to change the direction of my career. I'd love to bounce ideas off someone. If you would like to build a job search network, I volunteer to be in your circle.

I just sent you a contact request so that we can continue this conversation outside the public forum.

Daniel

So you're looking for a decent Irish bar?

Then I'd suggest O'Reilly's.

But by all means do try the Six Nations and Churchill's pubs as both do a very good pint of Guinness. ;)

Need any other information about Brussels etc then feel free to drop me a PM.

Regards.

balesy1974 wrote:

So you're looking for a decent Irish bar?

Then I'd suggest O'Reilly's.

But by all means do try the Six Nations and Churchill's pubs as both do a very good pint of Guinness. ;)

Need any other information about Brussels etc then feel free to drop me a PM.

Regards.

Another Irish Bar is De Valera at Place Flagey

Hi Bman,

I understand your post is from 3 years ago, however I am moving to Belgium next month from the UK and wondered how you got on with any expat job agencies for English speakers or what kind of work you took at the beginning?

Thanks!
Claire