Advice on living in Vancouver

hello all.
just needed some advice on areas to possible look to rent in and areas to definately avoid in Vancouver. We may be relocating to Vancouver as my husband has been offered a job working in construction on the winter olympics sites.At the moment we haven't been told the exact area he will be working in.
Just need your help really so that we can do some research on properties in decent areas. We have a young son who is 8 months old and a dog that will be coming with us so definately need a family friendly area.If moving to Vancouver we would like to be able to live really in a safe,clean enviroment.
any advice would be appreciated. We have a rental budget of between $1500-2000 a month.Is this realistic??

thanks

HI

We are in the same situation, my hubby has been offereed a job working in construction for the winter olympics and we are strongly considering a move. We have 2 children ages 9 and 10 and a dog. I have very little knowledge of the area and dont really want to live in the city  - We are looking for a  place within travelling distance that will be a nice place to raise our kids - and safe too. We have been looking at langley - but information on the net will always paint a nicer picture than reality.
Keep posting if you find anything of interest and I will do the same - Good luck

hoping to visit vancouver someday.... hear that alot of Hong Kong people migrate there already

Hi Tanah and Leelee,

Vancouver is pretty expensive for rents. You can probably find a two bedroom apt at $1200/1500. You can try in some of the neighborhoods around the Skytrain lines like New Westminster. Surrey is pretty far but quite inexpensive.It all depends on what type of transportation you'll have.

A lot of people who arrive in Vancouver stay in the West End, it's a lovely neighborhood, good schools but rents are pretty expensive. You can take a look at www.craigslist.org, it's the best place to look for rentals. Some good familly-friendly neighborhoods are also around Kitsilano and UBC.

My husband and I rent a very nice and big  2 bdr basement suite in Kitsilano for $1560.For $1800 you shouldn't have any problems finding a nice place in those neighborhoods with 2 bedrooms and a garden.

Good luck with the relocation.

Cheers,
Elodie

Hi , I really would like to know if the life is easier in Montreal according to Vancouver?

Hi blueangell,

Montreal is a lovely city to live in. A lot of new immigrants land there. I think the major differences between Montreal and Vancouver are the weather (mild here in Vancouver when you have harsh winters and sweltering summers in Montreal) and the language, Montreal is a very francophone city when Vancouver is mostly anglophone. But you can get around in both cities when you speak at least one of these languages. The rents are cheaper in Montreal (always depending on the neighbourhood), but they have slightly higher taxes. I also know that finding a job in Montreal can be a bit more challenging if you are not in of of those jobs where they are seeking people (like a nurse). I really love both of these cities so it's hard for me to say which one is better. It all depends on what you are looking for :D
Best of luck!

Hi Tanah,

there are a lot of places to live which could suit you. No need to be right in the city :)

I can say, having moved here 5 years ago, that it is a safe and a beautiful place to live. Good luck with your move.

Warmly,

Frank

Tanah wrote:

HI

We are in the same situation, my hubby has been offereed a job working in construction for the winter olympics and we are strongly considering a move. We have 2 children ages 9 and 10 and a dog. I have very little knowledge of the area and dont really want to live in the city  - We are looking for a  place within travelling distance that will be a nice place to raise our kids - and safe too. We have been looking at langley - but information on the net will always paint a nicer picture than reality.
Keep posting if you find anything of interest and I will do the same - Good luck

I moved to Vancouver about 4 years ago, and only know how difficult it is finding a place and raising a family.  Anyway we have finally moved to the area we want to stay and are looking to rent our suite out - let me know if anyone is interested it is in the Port Moody area.

Hi August

Please tell me more about Port Moody area. We are at our last phase of the immigration application with all documents submitted under the fast track.

We want to move to Vancouver but so far, we have shortlisted Coquitlam as all these while I have done most of my research on Coquitlam. maybe u can advice us otherwise.

Thanks
V