Day to Day life - what are your expenses?

Hello fellow expats!

I stumbled upon this amazing site recently and after reading A LOT!, I thought I might just say hi and ask a few questions myself ;)
We have plans to move to Spain mid 2015, and are looking for up to date info on day-to-day expenses, monthly, weekly etc.

We are interested particularly in Marbella, but other areas also interest us, so feel free to add your two cents...we're interested in your feedback - no matter how old you are, or what you do :)

We are in our late 30's/early 40's, wanting to rent, potentially buy property.  We've got a good idea on what rent costs average, but what are other living costs in Spain?

Electrical/Hydro bills?
Phone/Internet?
Groceries?
Gas/Water?
Alcohol?
Entertainment?
Laundry?

We would like to compare it to where we live now and other potential destinations, and our checklist includes the above costs.  Your help is truly appreciated, and like I said, no matter what you do, we are interested in hearing from you...do you eat out a lot? Do you eat more at home? Do you go out to the movies once a week? All this info helps us relate :)

We look forward to hearing from you all :) !!

miss_pamela wrote:

Hello fellow expats!

I stumbled upon this amazing site recently and after reading A LOT!, I thought I might just say hi and ask a few questions myself ;)
We have plans to move to Spain mid 2015, and are looking for up to date info on day-to-day expenses, monthly, weekly etc.

We are interested particularly in Marbella, but other areas also interest us, so feel free to add your two cents...we're interested in your feedback - no matter how old you are, or what you do :)

We are in our late 30's/early 40's, wanting to rent, potentially buy property.  We've got a good idea on what rent costs average, but what are other living costs in Spain?

Electrical/Hydro bills?
Phone/Internet?
Groceries?
Gas/Water?
Alcohol?
Entertainment?
Laundry?

We would like to compare it to where we live now and other potential destinations, and our checklist includes the above costs.  Your help is truly appreciated, and like I said, no matter what you do, we are interested in hearing from you...do you eat out a lot? Do you eat more at home? Do you go out to the movies once a week? All this info helps us relate :)
We look forward to hearing from you all :) !!

Dear Miss Pam and partner,
This is mid-2013 and you're talking about coming in mid-2015.  Am not sure how serious you are about Spain versus your "other potential desinations", but with all due respect I think you're asking way too early.  Prices, especially of housing which dominate cost-of-living, are changing 'relatively rapidly' due to the desempleo and economy downturn. The government is looking for new ways/things to tax.  For example the recent Spanish tax law changes affecting foreign residents' reporting of global assets, affecting supply/demand esp. in coastal areas like Marbella, which you targeted.

I just arrived in Spain after living 4 years in Buenos Aires Argentina, where prices change REALLY fast. FWIW I find housing cheaper in Spanish cities (e.g. Valencia nice 2-bdrm apartments for 600€/mo.) which more than offsets the more expensive food & services costs.  Now I realize Spain prices are far more stable than those in latin america, however let me advise you to: 1) Wait another year before asking; 2) In the meantime consult some of the on-line Cost-Of-Living websites which let you compare international cities, (use google to find them, e.g. numbeo, expatistan, bankrate); and 3) At T-6months plan to come spend 2+ weeks in the areas you're considering so you can check things out for yourself, particularly to see the actual properties and their prices.  Sure there are plenty of housing "distress sales" involving less-desirable properties to buy or rent, but they may not suit you.
Good Luck,
Jim

Clearly a typo... :P
2014...mid 2014.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your input. We have certainly looked at Numbeo and other sites.  I may not have mentioned, this is destination #4 for us, we have done this on a number of occasions now, and I most definitely agree, coming to visit a place prior to moving is a MUST! ;)

For us, we are after "feet on the ground" numbers, from actual people living there.

Like I mentioned in my first post, we have a good understanding of what is happening in the housing market, we are more interested in the other things listed above.

Thanks again and we look forward to other replies.