How much does it cost, roughly, to live in Spain for three months?

Hi - I am planning a three month break to study Spanish next October and trying to decide between Spain and Argentina.... I'd like to live in Madrid, San Sebastian or Barcelona.  Any ideas how much it would cost for rent, food, transport & language classes?
Thanks!

That is too hard to estimate as it depends on your tastes and lifestyle.  Normally, wherever you goes, it costs all you've got!  No?  Big European cities are, like all big European cities, expensive.  Depends on what you need to be happy.  Can you narrow it down a bit?

Thanks Oreneta!  I like to live in a nice small apartment or room in sharehouse close to cafes and shops.  Hoping to take yoga classes in the morning, and then language classes.  I eat out, though mid-range.. happy with a sandwich or pasta - and don't drink much.  And I love to swim or go to gym. 

So for a couple of months what do you think as an estimate?  I've only lived in London, not Europe, is it equivalent to London costs? Buenos Aires also an option if Spain is expensive... I think it might be if I'm not working.  I have a UK passport, but no Spanish - so thinking it may be hard to work an better to just study Spanish.

Thanks!! Danielle

Daniella - it'll be cheaper than London (isn't everywhere?).  The main expense will be accommodation so if you get that sorted via a flat share or something then all those cities should be do-able.  Have you thought about Valencia?  It's not as big as the Big 2 of course (more Adelaide than Melbourne or Sydney) but I lived there a couple of years and it is great - very accessible, big student nightlife scene, heaps of culture - and cheap!  Enjoy your adventure - I envy you.

Thanks Bakeja! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear - rent I can manage if other expenses are reasonable. I had not thought about Valencia, but it might enable me to stay in Europe whilst I get acquainted with the language. Great idea! Gracias, Danielle

HI,

I lived in Madrid in 2007. I had a room for €350+€50bills but it was a decent size right in the centre and in a decent apartment. You can find cheaper places in the centre but some wont have a window and some will be some distance away which can be a pain if you want to go out at night. And being in Madrid trust me you do!

Food is pretty much the same price as in the UK though you get much better quality for your money. Drinking too varies but in the end its rougly the same as in the UK. Bank on €3-€4 per drink depending on your tipple. A great thing about Madrid is that you usually get free tapas with your beer in the not so touristy spots.

Language schools, I studied at inhispania.. they were reasonably priced and all the teachers were great.

Hope that helps... good luck

Pablo

Pablo, thanks! That's great.  It's feeling more possible to do this : )

All the best,
Danielle

Hi Danielle,
I would like to live in Spain as well, best wishes in your search.

San Sebastian and Barcelona,use Spanish as a 2nd language
took me ages to work it out,1500e a month if your careful,hit the other forums for accommodation,good luck

Hey!

Ive just moved to Madrid. I pay 350 a month, including bills, for a double room with on suite office and bathroom. Currently im hovering around 2000 euros a month in earnings and I must admit, after living in the UK for 22 years..Im living like a king here.

My area is lavapies. It is a fantastic area with plenty of bars (2 next to my apartment), theaters, live music and is only 5 minutes from the centre. Could have asked for a better place.

We have a room available in our apartment and soon two as the American lady is moving out to return home. ( let me know if your interested) 250 including bills, double room.

Like any place you move to, especially big cities (previously lived in London, Leeds, Capetown, Halifax NS) its going to be expensive depending on the area but from my experience and good luck you just have to find the diamonds amongst the rocks.

Good luck and if you need any help let me know.

Regards

Danielle i dont know if this would suit you but its just another option. I am in madrid now staying for 3 months as an au pair. The family are teaching me spanish and i am picking it up fast. There is free spanish classes a 2 minute walk from me and i get paid to au pair, free accomodation and free flights.

Hi Aupairireland!

Please note that the thread is 4 years old :)

Armand

Oops thats embarrassing lol :)

It's understandable for a newbie :)
Thanks for participating though ;)
Don't hesitate to share your experience on the Spain forum.

Regards
Armand