Cigar stores?

I realize that cigars aren't a big thing in KZ, but - other than the hotels and some restaurants (where the price of an individual cigar is jacked up so high that I could buy several cigars back in the States) - does anyone know of any cigar stores or any tobacconists that sell cigars in Astana?

Hi ChanTwo,

I hope the other members give you some feedback on where to find a cigar stores or any tobacconists that sell cigars in Astana :D

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

There is a tobacco shop in the Sine Tempore shopping centre (near Congress Hall). Ground floor, if you go in the entrance opposite Congress Hall, it is on your right, about four or so shops in. I'm fairly certain they sold cigars and had a humidor etc, but I've not been in there for a couple of years. It might also be worth asking people who frequent the cigar room at the Radisson hotel where they source their supplies.
HIH

SilentlyScreaming wrote:

There is a tobacco shop in the Sine Tempore shopping centre (near Congress Hall). Ground floor, if you go in the entrance opposite Congress Hall, it is on your right, about four or so shops in. I'm fairly certain they sold cigars and had a humidor etc, but I've not been in there for a couple of years. It might also be worth asking people who frequent the cigar room at the Radisson hotel where they source their supplies.
HIH

Congress Hall? Is that left bank or right bank? I haven't heard of Sine Tempore Shopping Center.

Congress hall - right bank. Old building, not too far from Ali BaBa, has a passenger underpass under the road in front of it, you have Vaquero near, and I think if you keep walking in a straight line from Congress Hall, past Sine Tempore, you'll get to government buildings.
It used to be called Tsum (sounds like "zoom" with a T at the beginning (please excuse my poor attempt at transliteration with "Tsum" :) )).

Go to the airports and buy duty free.  That's the only place in the county you'll find quality stoogies from the Americas.  Anything else is cheap, crappy Swiss/Euro made junk....

idon'tcare wrote:

Go to the airports and buy duty free.  That's the only place in the county you'll find quality stoogies from the Americas.  Anything else is cheap, crappy Swiss/Euro made junk....

I found the place the other poster was referring to. They had some main brands like Romeo y Julieta. They sent me over to another store off of Respublika that also had some good cigars. They're still pricey by American standards, but a whole lot more reasonable than in the hotels or restaurants. I might have to take a trip over to TSE to see if they have cigars in their duty free shop.

Hi, do you remember which number of Respublica?

Never smoked one in my life, have no idea, but as I have been here so long I have seen things, and there are a few cigar shoppes called, I think, Wigwam, one of which is on Mira near the Gogol crossing. Give or take a bit. As for prices, I doubt you will find much of anything here cheaper than where you come from.